Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I need someone who is really knowledgeable to guide me along here.

Years ago I inherited a Winchester Model 1894 Saddle Ring Carbine in .25-35. This rifle was made in 1908, as far as I can tell from the serial # which is 4592xx. It is in only fair shape and some might say poor. The blue on the mag tube and barrel retain about 80% of the bluing. The receiver, barrrel band, lever and butt plate are grey. There are numerous little dings on the receiver and buttplate. The bore is very dark with rifling visible. The saddle ring is still present. The 3-notch rear sight is still present as is the bead front sight. The stocks have been given a coat of varnish , probably with a brush. I have fired this rifle a little in the past, it is fully functional as far as I can tell. This rifle came from from an old ranch in the vicinity of Janesville, CA with much time being spent in the Black Rock Desert.

Making out my will and wondering if I should leave it to a museum or go ahead and sell it. Have no clue what someone might pay for it, I trolled around on GunBroker a little and could not come up with much.

All help will be appreciated, reply here or by PM.

Thanks. Jerry

[Linked Image]
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
sell it, leaving to a museum would be like putting it in a prison. my brother has one in about the same shape and maybe worse but when he takes it out hunting varmints or jackrabbits he is deadly with it. sell it it needs to be in the country shooting whatever, and somebody who gets will be so happy with it!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
it needs to be shot and enjoyed by some lucky person

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
and i'm not a expert i just like getting classics to shoot and have fun with!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Like the others have said, your best bet would be to sell it! The older Winchesters, like yours, are getting a decent buck. It's not an Antique, because it's not pre 1898! Any Firearm mfg. after 1898 is considered a Modern Firearm. So selling it on Gunbroker, or wherever, you'll have to go through an FFL Dealer! You might want to contact, an Auction house and have them sell it for you, and pay the standard 12-15% commission! In my opinion, a Museum wouldn't be the right choice for this Firearm! I see your in The Arizona area. You might want to Contact Harry Viezien, and have him sell it for you. He's in Payson Arizona, 928-468-0306. He has a great Web Sight, to familiarize yourself with his operation! He's very Honest, and will be very fair with you! Good Luck!

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 01/09/21.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
IF it were me, I would continue it's journey and assign it in your will to a family member of it's original owner or your own offspring that would cherish its heritage. Not knowing the particulars of your inheritance of the rifle, or your family situation, that may be unrealistic.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jnyork: Museums do indeed BUY items they are interested in displaying!
And that saddle ring carbine would be interesting to many museums I would surmise.
I also would lean with Tmitch here and try to find a relative that would appreciate it.
Best of luck to you with whichever you decide to do.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Sell it to a museum... Or donate it to a prison? Oh, I'm so confused! smile smile smile

Best & Stay Safe
John

Last edited by iskra; 01/10/21.
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tmitch
IF it were me, I would continue it's journey and assign it in your will to a family member of it's original owner or your own offspring that would cherish its heritage. Not knowing the particulars of your inheritance of the rifle, or your family situation, that may be unrealistic.

All are deceased now, I will leave no survivors or close relatives.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
92 members (257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 16 invisible), 1,681 guests, and 649 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.