Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I used to shoot behind the shoulder an inch or two below the mid point of the body.I was amazed at how such a well placed shot often resulted in a deer making a long mad dash before dying.Many of those were a 100yds or so.I think the lungs are super shock absorbers.Being spongy and flexible,a low lung shot,even though it is a lethal shot,it seems to protect the spine from the bullet shock as it travels through the chest cavity.I started shooting tight up against the shoulder,an inch or two above the mid point of the body.You still get the lungs but most of the lungs are below the wound channel and it doesn't affect the shock of the bullet like the lower shot does.The result is you get a lot of shock to the underside of the spine and also ruptures the large arteries that are just below the spine.I get consistent DRT kills with that shot.Another thing to notice is the diaphragm is angled.A low shot a little too far behind the shoulder and you will either hit or rupture the stomach.Shooting a little higher,you can still hit back a ways and still be in the lungs and avoiding a gut shot.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Excellent post, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Life is good live it while you can.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
400 yards after hit through the heart with a 165 Hornady Interlock out of a 30-06.
Haven't shot a deer through the heart since.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If everyone would just hunt with a 243 win and shoot 95gr BT bullets there'd be no reason to ever trail a deer.

Life is good live it while you can.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
If everyone would just hunt with a 243 win and shoot 95gr BT bullets there'd be no reason to ever trail a deer.

Odessa would disagree

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KEVIN_JAY
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

Odessa would disagree

Yep, Based on my experience with those two deer I would disagree! Although I have toyed with the idea of buying another .243 WIN and using TSX bullets in it.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Longest recently a buck shot broadside middle of the ribs. 300 gn 50 cal. Barnes Expander. A couple of drops of blood and a plug of hair where I shot him. Found him 1/4 mile away 4 hours later. Not one drop of blood. Didn't bleed in the truck either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Longest recently a buck shot broadside middle of the ribs. 300 gn 50 cal. Barnes Expander. A couple of drops of blood and a plug of hair where I shot him. Found him 1/4 mile away 4 hours later. Not one drop of blood. Didn't bleed in the truck either.

That's rough

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
FIL shot a buck that had a broadhead lodged in a vertebrae, shaft had come out, entry wound healed up, point had wallowed out a hole in the bone, he likely ran for two+ years and then bumped into FILs Winchester 1894, 32-40....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
350 yards............twice.

1st one: Small buck shot at 50 yards rear lung/front liver with a .300 Win Mag and 150 grain (original) Ballistic Tip. Palm-sized hunks of lung laying where he was hit.

2nd one: Mature doe shot tight behind the shoulder (slightly quartering toward) at 275 yards with a 7-STW and 140 grain AccuBond. 7mm hole in.........7mm hole out...........zero blood. Only way the deer was recovered is that I had a group of about 8 guys come by and help me sweep a huge area.

Last edited by Yoder409; 01/09/21.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About 35 yrs ago I had one MD run over 500 yds downhill with its liver blown out. I had seen them from the truck about 1/2 mile away and parked and stalked up on them. Shot a nice 4x4 buck and it took off running down hill towards my truck, crossed the road and fell dead just about 20 yds past my truck. Talk about luck.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smokinggun
I used to shoot behind the shoulder an inch or two below the mid point of the body.I was amazed at how such a well placed shot often resulted in a deer making a long mad dash before dying.Many of those were a 100yds or so.I think the lungs are super shock absorbers.Being spongy and flexible,a low lung shot,even though it is a lethal shot,it seems to protect the spine from the bullet shock as it travels through the chest cavity.I started shooting tight up against the shoulder,an inch or two above the mid point of the body.You still get the lungs but most of the lungs are below the wound channel and it doesn't affect the shock of the bullet like the lower shot does.The result is you get a lot of shock to the underside of the spine and also ruptures the large arteries that are just below the spine.I get consistent DRT kills with that shot.Another thing to notice is the diaphragm is angled.A low shot a little too far behind the shoulder and you will either hit or rupture the stomach.Shooting a little higher,you can still hit back a ways and still be in the lungs and avoiding a gut shot.

Good post, I need to start aiming just a little higher.

I've killed a lot of deer and not many ran very far, but I did have a little bad luck last hunting season(2019) with a couple of low shots that were too far back. Reading this post made me realize that and just a couple of days ago I took a doe with my crossbow and placed the shot higher than I had been. She only made it 20 yards! Learn something new every day! Thank you!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Ever notice how small a room for error there is in the high shoulder shot? And how few vitals rest there....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Longest run I've seen from a dead deer we have NO clue... for it was a double lung shot. Pieces of lung on the ground. Blood trail. And the buck was killed 3-4 weeks later running a doe. Yes. He had all the bullet wound healed. Ribs on each side were hit. And cartilage type healing pretty centered both lungs. Scar tissue if you will.

Bullet? Oh yeah, the vaunted Sierra game kings. 165 btsp out of an 06.

You simply never know.

I"ve seen gut shots fall quite often and never move. I've seen heart shots go a long ways like almost half a mile. I've seen fast bullets that knock on their butts like the 257 wtby usually not go more than 25 steps. OR go 400 yards now and then.

Each time you pull the trigger you NEVER know.

This year I followed a deer for about 3 hours on the blood trail and the last time he got up from a bed and looked at me. He had been hit double lung with a berger at about 300 yards. We went looking to early I guess, jumped him from his first bed about 20 minutes after the shot. But last I'd seen him he was bleeding so bad and stumbling low to the ground we just put Tiger on him and oops... But he did die. Left most of his blood in the first 150 yards. Very little after that. Distance? 600 yards or so.

Each deer is going to be different no matter your theory.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
500yds or so. Big doe, hit broadside in the lungs, perhaps a touch high, with a 168NBT from a .308win. It was a good hit, and there was plenty of blood and lung matter hanging on the brush for the whole tracking job. We'd keep find that pink pudding everywhere and just knew she'd be "just up ahead". Tough old doe had a will to live.

Now with even more aplomb
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

545 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 47 invisible), 1,928 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,234
Posts18,447,765
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.