Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I like my 2015 Ram 3/4 ton with the 6.4 hemi. But the washboard gravel roads around here that I'm on for hunting, camping, and scouting are absolutely killing me. Airing down the tires and 4wdHi helps a bit, but not much. I was thinking about putting money into new tuned shocks, maybe some spring work, and it's time for new tires anyway. I'm pulling my camper (bumper pull) or enclosed ATV trailer about half the time, so I was thinking air springs for that. But, I'm no gear head by any stretch, so I'd just be going to a local shop, explaining my problem, and hoping for the best. I don't really want to get rid of it for a split front end GM. But if the work above turns into a giant bill, that might make more sense.

I traded my diesel out for this one and am glad I did, I definitely don't tow enough to justify that. My Cooper tires have not held up well, I've got about 25k on them and they're all crumbly, with your bare fingers you can pick a 1/2 inch square cube off any of the four of them. They're not wearing with respect to tread depth so the local shop was no help with warranty options.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by superdave; 01/09/21.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Check the steering gear mount and associated linkage. All this will make it worse if worn too bad. Might be getting close to the " Death Wobble". 3/4 T Dodges ride hard. I put up with my 98 for 20 years. Never did find a cure. Good luck

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'd talked to Carlisuspension first. They will probably have some ideas. Probably the best way is to go to large, 12.5, 37 inch tires and air them down. Going to longer travel, lighter load springs and shocks probably would help as well. The Ram Power Wagon has a much lighter load capacity than the standard 2500's which is probably a clue.
I know what you mean. I've got an 06 Ram 2500. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I'd talked to Carlisuspension first. They will probably have some ideas. Probably the best way is to go to large, 12.5, 37 inch tires and air them down. Going to longer travel, lighter load springs and shocks probably would help as well. The Ram Power Wagon has a much lighter load capacity than the standard 2500's which is probably a clue.
I know what you mean. I've got an 06 Ram 2500. E

I've got a 2006 Ram 2500 as my hunting/outdoors rig. I feel your pain.

I was going to offer the OP a ride in my truck, it'll make him appreciate the ride of his 2015.

Saddlesore is correct; 3/4-ton Rams ride hard.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks, guys, I'll check out that Carli stuff and the steering linkage. All good advice here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Timbren and old man emu are other names that I hear kicked around, although I haven’t used either. My fathers ram 2500 had a horrible ride compared to my Chevy, especially in washboard roads.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A ride in my old 2000 Cummins will make you appreciate the 15, I've learned to live with it but riding in the 3/4 ton Fords is no better, especially the diesels.

I recently drove a 15 Cummins with Carli suspension and 37s, it rode like a Cadillac compared to mine, it also had the Carli sway bar which he said made a big difference.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The only real fix for washboards is adjusting the speedometer so it reads about 10 mph. it's not much of a solution but not much else works.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The only real fix for washboards is adjusting the speedometer so it reads about 10 mph. it's not much of a solution but not much else works.

Two fixes actually. Super slow, or relatively fast. Both smooth out washboards.

MAGA
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Check out Thuren fabrication coils. Cheaper solution than carlie and in my opinion just as good. I have them on my 16 3/4 diesel. I put them on right away to level the truck. They are a 2.5 or 3” easy ride coil. I didn’t upgrade to the good shocks just the thuren branded ones. Better than stock but my back end is still really stiff and makes washboard no fun. Helped front end a lot. I am sure the fox or other shocks offered would help even more.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Put some more weight in the truck bed. Go to bilstein shocks.

Guys that do hard labor, usually have stronger cores and back muscles:
Farmers, masons, roofers, loggers, concrete construction, soldiers, etc.

If you don't do hard labor, hit up a gym to strengthen your core and back.

Or.....sell it for a softer, wallowing marshmallow like tundra.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Hitting them fast might feel smoother but you're thrashing your suspension. Also, if it gets away from you at a higher speed, it hits things harder.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B2601 and box blade...problem solved.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since we are offering rides,
A 93 Cummins if you stop by.

Didn't mind it when it was new and I was young.
Now I don't run it much, and every time I do,
I'm amazed how dam rough it is.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Yeah, as long as the shocks are still working, a bit more speed usually helps. Just slow enough to not drift around the turns but fast enough to stay on top.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Put some more weight in the truck bed.

This is true as well.

I had 3, 5' or 6' concrete parking blocks in the bed of my truck for a couple of weeks. Big difference in the ride quality.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have air bags on mine. If they have any air in them, it gets REALLY rough. They're a pain to air up and down but I'm too cheap to spend hundreds for an onboard compressor.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
King Racing shocks. Made a startling difference on my '14. Would be even better with softer springs, I know, but I wanted to retain the load capacity and tow capacity that I have.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.