Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Docbar Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I’m fairly new to AR’s. I’ve built a couple for other people, but done so on the cheap. Now I’m in the process of assembling parts to build one for myself. I want it to be good quality, but I’m not looking to spend top dollar; just good quality for a good value. I’m unsure of which brand of barrel I should buy. I’m considering Ballistic Advantage, but will spend more for a Faxon or even Odin if they are so noticeably better. Thanks in advance. It will be 16 inches and chambered in either 556 or 223 Wylde.

Here are the parts I have so far:

AERO upper and lower
Aero lower parts kit
Larue trigger
Colt carbine buffet tube assembly
Magpul CTR stock and grip
Toolcraft BCG
BCM Gunfighter charging handle

ARIC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like a good list so far. I'd look at criterion, wilson combat, and even windham weaponry. I've shot with some guys that use ballistic advantage and they seem to be reliable and fairly accurate/consistent shooters. I've also shot with some guys that have been using bison armory barrels with good success. The main problem right now is finding barrels, but they are out there if you search hard enough. Also, are you looking for chrome lined, stainless or does it matter?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I haven't tried one myself, but Daniel Defense seems to generally be well thought of, and their chrome lined 16" 5.56 is in stock at midway, if that kind of barrel is what you're looking for.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2684573824?pid=990444

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Of the three you mentioned, by preference would be Odin, BA, Faxon.

I have one SS Odin barrel and it holds MOA with 5 shot groups. Buddy has a Faxon and it's more of an 1.5 MOA barrel. Keep in mind this is just two samples of one.

BA's owned by Aero, so it's considered a mid-tier value product. Several of the local builders use them receive few complains for the "normal" non-loonies like ourselves.

My goto is Criterion, but like everything else right now, they are in short supply.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

I have one SS Odin barrel and it holds MOA with 5 shot groups. Buddy has a Faxon and it's more of an 1.5 MOA barrel. Keep in mind this is just two samples of one.

BA's owned by Aero, so it's considered a mid-tier value product. Several of the local builders use them receive few complains for the "normal" non-loonies like ourselves.

My goto is Criterion, but like everything else right now, they are in short supply.

AS, I'm curious when you say your buddies barrel is "1.5 moa", how many shots in the group? I have an 18" barrel that shoots 1.5 moa for 10 shots consistently with all sorts of ammo I've tried. I don't like 18" barrels and am to the point I will give the barrel away to someone that doesn't mind that type of accuracy.. If you are talking 3 shot groups, the barrel I mentioned has shot numerous sub moa groups, but I don't count 3 shot groups in an AR15 platform as much of anything. Thanks...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I put together an 16" mid-gas upper using a BA 'modern series' barrel. No complaints, I'd buy BA again.

100 yards, M855 equivalent from PMC.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In today's climate, if you can find a reasonably decent barrel in stock at a reasonable price, you'd better buy it....................today. And it's not going to get better.

Especially if you're just looking for a general, all purpose rifle..............obviously, if it's a LPR type build, that's a little different, but you are not.

This is a very, very good barrel, nitrided by the best in the business, available & at a reasonable price, & is better than anything form most other mid-range suppliers; it's a little short of being a Criterion, but it's available. Not many know that CMC is making AR barrels.

But, you'll need a different gas tube.

MM

CMC Barrel

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

AS, I'm curious when you say your buddies barrel is "1.5 moa", how many shots in the group? I have an 18" barrel that shoots 1.5 moa for 10 shots consistently with all sorts of ammo I've tried. I don't like 18" barrels and am to the point I will give the barrel away to someone that doesn't mind that type of accuracy.. If you are talking 3 shot groups, the barrel I mentioned has shot numerous sub moa groups, but I don't count 3 shot groups in an AR15 platform as much of anything. Thanks...

Good catch, I should of clarified.
Those were with 5 shot groups.

My typical standard of measurement is two consecutive 5 shot groups.
Statistically, it gives you the most data with the least shooting.

For the barrel in question, with 10 shot groups I'd expect it to turn in something in the 1 3/4 to 2 MOA range.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
In today's climate, if you can find a reasonably decent barrel in stock at a reasonable price, you'd better buy it....................today. And it's not going to get better.

Especially if you're just looking for a general, all purpose rifle..............obviously, if it's a LPR type build, that's a little different, but you are not.

This is a very, very good barrel, nitrided by the best in the business, available & at a reasonable price, & is better than anything form most other mid-range suppliers; it's a little short of being a Criterion, but it's available. Not many know that CMC is making AR barrels.

But, you'll need a different gas tube.

MM

CMC Barrel

Doc,

MM knows his barrels.

I would not hesitate to take his advise.

D
Docbar Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for the recommendations. Does the Wylde chamber there a real world advantage over the standard 556?

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wylde handles the pressure of 5.56 but is more accurate with match ammo than the NATO chamber. As a rule...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Good catch, I should of clarified.
Those were with 5 shot groups.

My typical standard of measurement is two consecutive 5 shot groups.
Statistically, it gives you the most data with the least shooting.

For the barrel in question, with 10 shot groups I'd expect it to turn in something in the 1 3/4 to 2 MOA range.

Thanks for answering that. Good info.

BSA MAGA
D
Docbar Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I tried buying a couple of different barrels today, but they sold out between the time I added them my cart and tried to check out. I eventually bought a Daniel Defense. Thanks for all the pointers.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Docbar
I tried buying a couple of different barrels today, but they sold out between the time I added them my cart and tried to check out. I eventually bought a Daniel Defense. Thanks for all the pointers.

A DD barrel will serve you well. IME they are very consistent, shooting 1 1/4 to 1 1/5 MOA on 5 shot groups. They have a no BS warrenty, but it's unlikely you will ever need it.

D
Docbar Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D

A DD barrel will serve you well. IME they are very consistent, shooting 1 1/4 to 1 1/5 MOA on 5 shot groups. They have a no BS warrenty, but it's unlikely you will ever need it.

Good to know about their warranty. Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DD barrels are good, & DD is a good, solid company.

Not the absolute most accurate, but more than good enough & consistent.

I doubt that you will be unhappy.

MM

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
LARUE

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I put together an 16" mid-gas upper using a BA 'modern series' barrel. No complaints, I'd buy BA again.

100 yards, M855 equivalent from PMC.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Absolutely nothing wrong with that with M855.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A bit late since the OP has already made a purchase but my fav's are Krieger(a bit spendy) White Oak and X-Caliber

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by boatanchor
A bit late since the OP has already made a purchase but my fav's are Krieger(a bit spendy) White Oak and X-Caliber

Maybe you missed this part:

I want it to be good quality, but I’m not looking to spend top dollar; just good quality for a good value. I’m unsure of which brand of barrel I should buy. I’m considering Ballistic Advantage, but will spend more for a Faxon or even Odin if they are so noticeably better. Thanks in advance.

Had it been any barrel on the face of the earth at any price, that you can buy right now, I would have just suggested the Shilen on gunbroker for $4xx.xx. And then I would have disregarded his 16" requirement and told him he needs to just buy a 20", but I don't think that's what he wants either...

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 68 invisible), 2,794 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,200
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.