Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I've probably seen 10-12 Wolverines over the years, they always amaze me and are the highlight over whatever trip I happen to be on at the time. One year sheep hunting solo, sleeping in a bivy sack, had a gulo walk up to about 10 feet from my legs in the dark. He ran off after I sent a "warning" shot over his head.

Another time, while guiding a sheep hunter, watched a wolf chasing a wolverine for about a mile. Every once in a while that wolverine would turn around and the two would have a Mexican standoff. Then the gulo would continue on with the wolf in hot pursuit.

Watched a wolverine chasing a ram up a mountain one time, and this year while guiding a sheep hunter, was able to video a wolverine lope along about 100 yards below our glassing perch.

They are cool animals, every interaction I've ever had with them is quite the treat.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Here’s one my buddy out in the chilcotin trapped, look close you’ll see where the snare from the year before got him, and his teeth ground down from chewin the cable... never seen one, but one of my favorite critters by far... very cool critters

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]sawmill club
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]chops diner wrightsboro nc menu

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UfQuyQWhZ0

Ed Bilderback was the guide in the Fred Bear Alaska brown bear hunts posted earlier and this popped up. Would have been at least ten years before Fred's hunts.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was fortunate enough to see several wolverines, at least one fisher and many marten when living in BC. On the Olympic Peninsula of WA State, authorities have released fisher live trapped in BC. We saw their tracks a lot several years ago but rarely now, so they have either dispersed widely or died off.

My first wolverine was in the Monashee Range. I drove over a rise to see a wolverine doing his humping run down the road ahead of me. I punched the Bronco and as I caught up with the wolverine, he angled to the edge of the road toward a pile of logs. I was sliding a bit in the gravel to stop, with the wolverine 3 feet from my driver side door, when he turned on me. He looked up into my face and was all teeth and tonsils, obviously snarling but I could not hear him with the vehicle noise and window up. Wish I could have heard that. He went into the logs and I never saw him again.

Wife and I saw a wolverine in the Silver Star ski resort parking lot one evening about 9 pm, 30 feet in front of our vehicle. Bright moonlight on snow, street lights and my headlights. He scrambled up a slope toward a cluster of cabins.

In northern BC hunting sheep we saw a wolverine just before dark 75 yards from us. We camped within 100 yards of where we had seen him. As we fell asleep we heard an animal shuffling in the gravelly soil outside the tent and snuffing his nose. We had grizzly on the brain but it turned out to be a wolverine. He took off before we got outside, too dark to see much but next morning his tracks showed within inches of the outside of our shelter.

Hunting lost cows early one winter, a friend and I came on where a wolverine had killed and eaten much of a mule deer button buck. The ten inch deep snow was churned and bloody over a 15x40 foot rectangle, with the little deer lying on his back at one edge of the carnage. With the deer on its back the wolverine had eaten much of the deer's body, straight down: sternum, ribs, internal organs and entrails, front legs and hams eaten from the inside out, though bones to the skin in places. The ribs were gnawed down to the spine. The tenderloins were untouched as was the outer strap. It was super fresh and we considered taking those best cuts, but didn't.

Had a few other encounters and had a wolverine come to a predator call once, but he didn't give me a shot.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I love reading all these stories

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I guess there was one in ND a few years ago. It followed the Missouri River and was shot down by killdeer.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
my buddy and I got to see one when we were in AK on a guided hunt back in 2004. At the moment we saw it, we didn't know if we could shoot it and our guide was sitting 100 yards away on the other side of the hill glassing. By the time we ran over and asked him if we could shoot it and then got back to where we saw it, it was gone. We went looking for it but never saw it again. Just vanished out in open tundra.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I may as well bump this back up....
I won't even pretend to know much about these things, nor understand their biology but I do know that I have now joined the ranks of those who have trapped one.
I spent an absurd amount of time researching various areas, spending gas money looking for where one was habitually hanging out, checking out GoogleEarth and whatever else I thought would help me find one.

It all paid off today.

The catch circle looked like those I have seen from wolves. That place was TORE UP.

Neat critters, no doubt.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I won't even pretend to know much about these things, or understand their biology but I do know that I have now joined the ranks of those who have trapped one.
I spent an absurd amount of time researching various areas, spending gas money looking for where one was habitually hanging out, checking out GoogleEarth and whatever else I thought would help me find one.

It all paid off today.

The catch circle looked like those I have seen from wolves. That place was TORE UP.

Neat critters, no doubt.

You got a nice one too! Love that model 39! I have the Mountie model

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beauty! They are my favorite critter to trap.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Do they taste good?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hubert
Do they taste good?

Uh! No, they taste like looser!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I won't even pretend to know much about these things, nor understand their biology but I do know that I have now joined the ranks of those who have trapped one.

It all paid off today.

Neat critters, no doubt.

Oh hell ya Ted! Nice work

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Late to the party, but congrats tinny!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JeffA
The true trophy there is one man being drawn twice in NW Montana and successfully taking two decent bulls.

Most apply for a lifetime and never get one tag.

Bruce was an amazing taxidermist, due to the quality of his work and continued cleaning and grooming these two mounts show no age.

So that must make me a trophy as I drew two bull moose tags in the same unit in SW Montana and successfully took two decent bulls.
I took this 50" Shiras bull in 1982. Bruce Babcock was my taxidermist for him...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And this 40" Shiras bull in 1988 (they didn't have the 7 year wait back then). With me in the pic is Buffy, my Golden Retriever hunting partner back then...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by buffybr

So that must make me a trophy as I drew two bull moose tags in the same unit in SW Montana and successfully took two decent bulls.
I took this 50" Shiras bull in 1982. Bruce Babcock was my taxidermist for him...

You bet you are, congratulations I doubt there are many who've had such luck.

BTW, sold the two mounts to a private party a couple weeks back.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D

I Heard they have been known to BACK down Bears?

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D

I Heard they have been known to BACK down Bears?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have seen two. One on the upper Flathead, one on the upper Adams river. GD

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Believe it or not, I am in a logging camp doing watchman duty at the north end of Adams Lake right now. My Aunt caught a wolverine on her trapline up here back in the 40's. She had it mounted full size and it sat on her mantel for ever. Wayne

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
154 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 1,977 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.