Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
ths Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hoping to get some input on 22 Hornet dies. Just read John’s article on die design in Aug/Sep 19 Handloader. The trouble with the hornet tipping in the die while sizing due to the case taper makes a lot of sense, even if I would have never thought of it....!

I just picked up a Ruger #3 and getting set up to load for it.
What dies work best with the Hornet to produce concentric ammo? Are Lee collet neck sizer dies good? This is the first Hornet I’ve loaded for.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just let a reformed old gunwriter load for it

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
T
ths Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Well if you load them as good as those 30-40 loads that will work!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I use RCBS dies for my Hornet and haven't experienced any problems.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
you will enjoy the 22 Hornet loading and shooting , one of my 22 Hornets " 22 Hornet Ruger s.s,bolt with a clip, 4x Leupold" is always loaded and ready in and at my home to shoot critters i want gone for good ,great little cartridge ,cheap to shoot if your a hand loader,accurate and handy little rifle. enjoy,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ths
Hoping to get some input on 22 Hornet dies. Just read John’s article on die design in Aug/Sep 19 Handloader. The trouble with the hornet tipping in the die while sizing due to the case taper makes a lot of sense, even if I would have never thought of it....!

I just picked up a Ruger #3 and getting set up to load for it.
What dies work best with the Hornet to produce concentric ammo? Are Lee collet neck sizer dies good? This is the first Hornet I’ve loaded for.

I reamed mine to K Hornet, did it myself with rented reamer. I like that round better. Lee neck sizer works for Hornet and K Hornet.

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Dirtfarmer do you get that much increase in performance with the K hornet? I have often thought of one for shooting prairie dogs and general plinking. Maybe find a Browning Low Wall. My Hornet is a P64 M70 so no reaming there.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Dirtfarmer do you get that much increase in performance with the K hornet? I have often thought of one for shooting prairie dogs and general plinking. Maybe find a Browning Low Wall. My Hornet is a P64 M70 so no reaming there.

Some increase. Just easier to get a full charge of the slower powders in the case without drop tubes, etc.

DF

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by GSPfan

Some increase. Just easier to get a full charge of the slower powders in the case without drop tubes, etc.

DF

And case stretch is virtually eliminated.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Lee Collet dies are an excellent choice. They are what I use for the Hornet and for others.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Normal FL dies adjusted to resize only 1/2 of the neck will work surprisingly well. Try it.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Normal FL dies adjusted to resize only 1/2 of the neck will work surprisingly well. Try it.

I have gotten excellent results with this technique, as well as Lee collet dies.

But the most accurate handloads I've assembled for the Hornet were made with the original Lee Loader.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I have gotten excellent results with this technique, as well as Lee collet dies.

But the most accurate handloads I've assembled for the Hornet were made with the original Lee Loader.

There’s a certain, hard-to-descibe satisfaction I get from using the Lee Loader too. At times I’ve used a nearby drill press as a makeshift arbor press for some operations that require too much hammering for my old, tired hands. IIRC, you have simply pressed the Hornet cases into the die against the benchtop.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have not tried them all by any means, but have used both Hornady (just after they came out with the sliding sleeve bullet seater, New Dimention? Bought in the mid to late eighty's?), and Redding. The Redding dies definitely seat the bullets much more concentrically. They have given better accuracy out of my Hornets, though they cost more.

Have heard and read of others with Hornady dies however that get great results. Maybe they have tightened up tolerances of late? Maybe mine were made on a Friday?

Not sure, but I'll take the Redding dies. I also partially size the cases.

Think.
It's not illegal, yet.
T
ths Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Great tip, I will try it. Thanks for all the ideas I’ll play around with what I’ve got for now and see how it shoots.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I thought it was dead a long time ago...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I forgot to mention above that when I partial size the cases, I remove the expander, then re-install the expander in the die at its lowest possible position, and expand the cases on the up stroke. I carefully run the cases into the die only far enough to expand the neck, without letting them go far enough to be sized again. I do this with the expander plug left un-tightened by the little nut/collar so that it is free to wobble a bit and center in the case rather than force the neck off center.

This method has been written about both here on the fire, and in articles written by Mule Deer (12th post above).

The method works and helps keep the cases concentric.

Think.
It's not illegal, yet.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I used my 218 Bee die to neck size the Hornet brass that is from the same gun I'm loading for and a Lee FL die to size unknown brass. I use the Hornady seater with the sliding sleeve great way to keep the stubby bullets from tipping like they do half way up a regular seating die.

Last edited by erich; 01/12/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

There’s a certain, hard-to-descibe satisfaction I get from using the Lee Loader too. At times I’ve used a nearby drill press as a makeshift arbor press for some operations that require too much hammering for my old, tired hands. IIRC, you have simply pressed the Hornet cases into the die against the benchtop.

The 22 Hornet is one of those cartridges that doesn't see 100s fired in one sitting, although I am sure someone will say they do. The Lee Loader is perfect for this cartridge. It connects you to the zen of reloading and shooting. It's also nostalgic. Turning the clock back occasionally is good for your mental health.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use Redding dies, three piece with neck and full length sizers. But don’t recall ever using the neck sizer. They’ve loaded many rounds for a variety of 22 hornet rifles. I shoot a couple of Anschutz rifles with Lil gun powder, pistol primers, and various 40 grain bullets. This set up works great for me.

NRA Patron
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,203
Posts18,466,067
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.