Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I have been a strong believer in these rings . Have used them on heavy recoil rifles , 300 magnums and 44 magnum handguns.
But this 45/70 is kicking their ass . Was having trouble with shifting POI , so I went back to basics and realized the scope had shifted forward and power ring was touching scope base .
So I stripped the whole set up down and cotton swabed all screw holes on receiver and rings with brake cleaner along with wiping scope tube and ring inserts down just to make sure I had the bases covered .
Reinstalled with blue loctite and tourqe driver . Also added +10 sleeves to bottom of rings for added meat .
Rezeroed rifle , made some loads and was looking good first range session checking occasionally the mark I had put on the tube .
Second range session , found a load I liked and then things started getting squerrily again .
Looked and dam tube mark was away from ring .
Don't know what else to do but go metal to metal with a different set of rings .
Hate putting ring marks on a scope , but I guess it's unavoidable sometimes .
Kenneth

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you tried a different scope on the same rifle and same rings? My thought on this was could this scope tube for whatever reason be ever so slightly undersize? Then again a good set of calipers could compare that scope tube size to another scope.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Try on the rear ring , bottom 10+ top 10-, front ring 10- bottom and 10+ top.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Maybe a light dusting of rosin on the ring inserts? I have put electrical tape down to keep things from slipping before. Does the scope have a noticeably slick finish?

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by 117LBS
Maybe a light dusting of rosin on the ring inserts? I have put electrical tape down to keep things from slipping before. Does the scope have a noticeably slick finish?

I agree that adding friction in some way (rosin, electrical tape, rubber cement, etc) is what I would try next. Also, I would try wiping the plastic inner rings with acetone to both strip them of oil and possibly make them a little tacky.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have a friend who has a Mossberg lightweight 12 ga pump set up for slugs, oh, does that thing kick, he had trouble holding the scope (a 2.5 Weaver if I recall) and after several tries he ended up degreasing thoroughly and just using "Shoe Goo" from Chinamart.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
On mine I have been roughing up the glossy inside of the inserts, the side that contacts the scope, with emery cloth, and give them a light dusting of rosin powder.

I was getting the same movement you are with my .300WM, but this stopped it. I now do it to all my Sig Zee's for added peace of mind.

On my conventional rings I also use the rosin.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
^^^^^

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Not an expensive scope , but never the less dont like ring marks .
Athlon Argos 1-4x24 , went with this scope for a illuminated reticle to squeeze the days hunt without breaking the bank . Have same scope on 444 and it has held good , but shoot factory ammo in it .both miced 1.185 diameter .
Is finger nail polish remover pure enough acetone to make insert sticky ?
Thanks for all the replies , Kenneth

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Jump to the XTR Signatures...6 screw rings, similar plastic inserts.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I just reread your first post and saw you cleaned with brake cleaner which is acetone I believe. If that did not make the inserts a bit tacky, then you are left with adding rosin, glue of some sort, or electrical tape to the undersides of the inserts. I have used high quality electrical tape with good results for many years. Others, as stated, use rosin with good results. That added to the inserts should be secure and safe to the scope finish.

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Thanks again , ordered a set of the Extremes and will put a touch of rosin powder on inserts.
Kenneth

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Jump to the XTR Signatures...6 screw rings, similar plastic inserts.

Yup.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Are the Signature Z rings you are having trouble with 2 or 4 screws per ring?

I've had good luck so far with the 30mm Signature Z rings with 4 screws per ring on some heavy recoilers.

As advised earlier by others, I have been using more of the XTR Signatures of late. To me, they look out of place on some rigs, and they're often higher than they need be for the 42-44mm scopes I like to use them on, especially when clamped to certain rails; but they do grip a scope well, they provide inclination, and they don't mar a tube. Be nice if they could knock .2” off them to get them down to .8” or so.

Last edited by Starbuck; 01/10/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
I have been a strong believer in these rings . Have used them on heavy recoil rifles , 300 magnums and 44 magnum handguns.
But this 45/70 is kicking their ass . Was having trouble with shifting POI , so I went back to basics and realized the scope had shifted forward and power ring was touching scope base .
So I stripped the whole set up down and cotton swabed all screw holes on receiver and rings with brake cleaner along with wiping scope tube and ring inserts down just to make sure I had the bases covered .
Reinstalled with blue loctite and tourqe driver . Also added +10 sleeves to bottom of rings for added meat .
Rezeroed rifle , made some loads and was looking good first range session checking occasionally the mark I had put on the tube .
Second range session , found a load I liked and then things started getting squerrily again .
Looked and dam tube mark was away from ring .
Don't know what else to do but go metal to metal with a different set of rings .
Hate putting ring marks on a scope , but I guess it's unavoidable sometimes .
Kenneth

Lap the rings! Even Talleys.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Rubber electrical splicing tape...

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

I know of two guys who resolved the issue of scopes slipping with a thin layer of contact cement in the rings.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Fuucking made in China Burris rings up top again!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ringman

Lap the rings! Even Talleys.

You can't lap them as they have plastic inserts that pivot and self-align everything without binding or leaving marks. One of the biggest reasons people use them is specifically because you don't have to lap them.

I've never had an issue with them slipping, but the suggestion to try the + offset inserts is a good one. Also, acetone will only leave the insert tacky for a few seconds, and once it evaporates could actually leave the insert more slippery, so I wouldn't try that. The suggestion to roughen it up a bit might be worth trying, as well as the thin layer of rubber cement.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have had good luck using Permatex Form-A-Gasket to keep scopes from slipping inside rings, specifically the #2 formula.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 2,819 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,206
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.