Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Will it fit??? I'm new to model 70s & do not know. Any help would be appreciated on this thanks. Have an opportunity to buy a nice pre 64 stock but my barreled action is a post 64 push feed. Thanks in advance.

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
First, are we speaking of a Winchester factory stock or aftermarket? Second, pre '64 factory stocks were ln different sub-models. Third, two distinct pre '64 Model 70 "eras" of stocks exist, which won't of themselves interchange. So saying "pre '64 stock" doesn't adequately define the matter. Then of course, post factory "alterations" possible...
If you're conjuring a "drop-in swap", under best of circumstances - concerning an unaltered factory stock, definitely not. Then concerning your later model barreled action, between models of such; variations. Post '64 push feed stocks are not a universal-generic either! Particularly notable, for instance, barrel weight/diameter. I'm with both pre and post '64 rifles and within the latter category, push feed models though few. Obvious differences are notable!
By belief that the inevitable & considerable differences would require both significant stock inletting accommodations as well as liberal use of "glass" or other type of filler. Only in such context would it seem possible. I'd not consider it! All said, having never tried such personally...
Your reason(s) for the swap might provide a basis for further guidance concerning more viable alternatives!
Here, just a non-expert take!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

Last edited by iskra; 01/06/21.
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I will answer the questions you had... this would be factory stock with no modifications, featherweight barrel to featherweight stock.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
A term common in the legal community is "dicta", meaning something repeated so often as "true", accepted as such. I've personally had no occasion for first hand experience. That said, the lack of an enlarged "Standard Model" pre '64 barrel sight-boss accommodation in the Featherweight, would put you one obstacle deleted. Yet still, too many other factors suggesting 'high odds' against 'reasonable' adaptation. One approach, perhaps 'buy & try'. IF the pre 64 stock original, in good condition and reasonably purchased; an investment & if swap failed, marketability shouldn't be a problem. Short of that, just to wish you luck in connecting with someone able to offer a definitive response. Most, as me, likely falling back upon "dicta"!
I do wish the best in finding your answers!
Stay Safe!!
John

Postscript: Getting curious concerning action hole spacing and o/a action lengths... started Googling. You might check out a number of Gun Website Threads within this listing: https://www.google.com/search?q=win...178j0j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by iskra; 01/07/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You can make it fit with not too much trouble. It will not be perfect cosmetically. That pre 64 Fwt stock has value, sell it or trade it!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the spacing of the action bolts in the post 64 is greater than the pre 64.

Last edited by wahoo; 01/10/21.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 37 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,133
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.