-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Why is the no 1s carrying such a heavy price tag these days? Also, why are there so few? Is ruger not producing them anymore? I guess i probably answered my 1st question with my 2nd

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Ruger No.1"s have never been mass produced like most commercially produced rifles.Looks like they only produce them in a few different cartridge chamberings each year making some very rare.I picked up a really nice 1-B in a 7mag about five years ago.It was made in 1976,a Liberty model that had very little use for $700.I was browsing the other day and you cannot hardly find one for under a $1000,most are running around $1500.They are solid,well made rifles.I'm sure they cost Ruger quite a bit to produce them,that's why they cost so much. https://ruger.com/products/no1/models.html

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
They are blued and have walnut stocks (for the most part) and are made in very limited quantities, mainly for Lipsey's.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
This question begs the standard Harley-Davidson paraphrase: "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand!" :-) (Sorry, I couldn't help myself...)

Many folks think that Ruger No: 1 devotees are Elitists , and there well may be something to that. But most just appreciate the style and grace of the firearm, itself. And some folks, merely appreciate the challenge of using a single shot. I'm sure Ruger makes a profit on them, but overall, it's not a highly profitable venture, I'm sure.

I purchased my first one in 1978 (A #1-V in 7mm Mag), and have owned over 60 since then, but never owned more than about 25 at any one time. (Depending on whether you count the #3's or not...) Now, most of them I own are somewhere between "modified" and "custom" That's the nice feature of the rifle, itself: You can build them in about any barrel length or chambering that you wish. From .22 LR to .50/140 Sharps or .510 Wells. Or probably even 600 N.E.) The list of factory chamberings would boggle your mind. I have a few in chamberings that Ruger would NEVER build, and have taken my best trophy whitetail with one in 8x57 Mauser. - GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just about every firearm I see at a gun show is priced well above what it would have brought three years ago. No.1's are no exception.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
.... and have owned over 60 since then, but never owned more than about 25 at any one time. .... one in 8x57 Mauser. - GH

wow, I'm wayyyy behind the acquisition schedule.... but I do really want Ruger to produce a No1S in 8x57!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Why is the no 1s carrying such a heavy price tag these days? Also, why are there so few? Is ruger not producing them anymore? I guess i probably answered my 1st question with my 2nd

Compared to when? People sometimes don't realize it but inflation keeps rolling along, almost 20% just since 2010. That's a couple hundred bucks by itself on a thousand dollar rifle. Combine that with a specialty low production item and a hot market in general and you have a decent explanation for it.

Why there are so few? I don't know but I've been noticing the same thing with TC's and other things whose heyday is past. Like #1's, you know there's a ton of them out there but doesn't seem to be reflected in the market activity. I have a feeling in part we're seeing the effect of an aging boomer population. Many aren't shooting as much as they used to so a huge amount of stuff is sitting in safes collecting dust these days.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great rifles, only limited production now! Gun prices are nuts right now, I'm shocked at what guns are bringing on GunBroker,seems like they've doubled in price in the last 6 months. If you see something you want buy it, I don't see prices dropping anytime soon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Number 1's have skyrocketed in Australia too. A new rifle will be up around AU$2 800.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by brydan

Compared to when? People sometimes don't realize it but inflation keeps rolling along, almost 20% just since 2010. That's a couple hundred bucks by itself on a thousand dollar rifle. Combine that with a specialty low production item and a hot market in general and you have a decent explanation for it.

Why there are so few? I don't know but I've been noticing the same thing with TC's and other things whose heyday is past. Like #1's, you know there's a ton of them out there but doesn't seem to be reflected in the market activity. I have a feeling in part we're seeing the effect of an aging boomer population. Many aren't shooting as much as they used to so a huge amount of stuff is sitting in safes collecting dust these days.

Compared to just a couple years ago. No 1s are doing 1700 on gunbroker. Had heard ruger was going to stop production. Wasnt sure if that was true

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I bought a mint varmint rifle for $800 off the fire the first part of last year. I used the action for a build and sold the stock and forearm.I still have the varmint barrel in 243. I'm looking for another one for a project and GI has only one page of them and they average over $1000. Early this year I bought a Lipsey's exclusive 250 Savage, 35 Whelen with a better than average piece of wood, and a 405 Winchester also off the classifieds with a Leopold 4X scope, reloading dies, a hundred or so factory rounds and several hundred bullets. Each of these recent purchases were around $1600. If I can find anything in a #1 for under a grand I'll snap it up just for the action.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Quote: Had heard Ruger was going to stop production. Wasn't sure if that was true. /quote

The demise of the #1 has been rumored for years. and they are still pluggin' along....

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I enjoy hunting mostly deer with different rifle types. When I acquired a few very accurate Handi Rifles I realized there was really no drawback to using a simple single shot rifle. It was quite easy to pop TWO deer only a few seconds apart just by calmly and quietly reloading.
I acquired a lot of H&R/NEF SINGLE SHOTS because they were inexpensive and readily available in both new and used markets.
Then curiosity had me acquiring Winchester, Browning, Thompson Contenders, and Ruger single shot rifles and pistols.
However there is something about the Ruger No.1 that got me to where I thought they were not only interesting to use, but also collect. The prices have steadily increased so if any gun is a good ‘investment’ then a careful buyer of Ruger No.1 rifles should easily get a good return when the time comes to pass them on to others that enjoy having and using the strongest single shot action rifle made.
If you concentrate on collecting the better (best) walnut specimens it’s a definite plus.

Last edited by Alaninga; 01/07/21.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have been hunting deer with Ruger #1 `s for around 20 years i see no reason to ever change again #1`s are a great accurate rifle ,easy to load and unload and in a box stand because a #1 have no rifle receiver are a shorter rifle by 4-5 inches and move in and out of windows in the box stand much easier. plus are a great investment for you and even in the family when your long gone.my grandson Alex gets my Ruger #1 257 Weatherby mag,grandaughter Emma gets the sweetheart a Ruger # 1 257 Roberts Mannlicher. son gets the rest of my #1`s.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Bill Poole
[quote=Grasshopper]....

wow, I'm wayyyy behind the acquisition schedule.... but I do really want Ruger to produce a No1S in 8x57!

I f your waiting for Ruger to produce one in that caliber you'll probably have a very long wait. Better to buy one as cheap as you can and rebarrel it to 8x57. I have bought two for projects for under $800.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I bought a mint varmint rifle for $800 off the fire the first part of last year. I used the action for a build and sold the stock and forearm.I still have the varmint barrel in 243. I'm looking for another one for a project and GI has only one page of them and they average over $1000. Early this year I bought a Lipsey's exclusive 250 Savage, 35 Whelen with a better than average piece of wood, and a 405 Winchester also off the classifieds with a Leopold 4X scope, reloading dies, a hundred or so factory rounds and several hundred bullets. Each of these recent purchases were around $1600. If I can find anything in a #1 for under a grand I'll snap it up just for the action.

Interested in a # 3?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by brydan

So, we’re at that awkward age where we don’t do much anymore, but refuse to die so our nice stuff can be picked over by the next generation? Sorry to be a burden.😛

Maybe we finally figured out what we like and hold on to it. Based on who I see at the range, old guys are shooting plenty. Also, they seem to use chronographs more and are usually the ones using the 200-250-300 yard range, which requires users to qualify. I live within earshot of the range I use most often, and the rapid-fire strings are less frequent than previously, which maybe reflects the ammo market right now.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Quote: Had heard Ruger was going to stop production. Wasn't sure if that was true. /quote

The demise of the #1 has been rumored for years. and they are still pluggin' along....

I don't think they're a regular production item anymore. Just distributors specials, I guess Ruger is saying "We'll keep building them as long as we get some money up front."

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
So, we’re at that awkward age where we don’t do much anymore, but refuse to die so our nice stuff can be picked over by the next generation? Sorry to be a burden.😛

Maybe we finally figured out what we like and hold on to it. Based on who I see at the range, old guys are shooting plenty. Also, they seem to use chronographs more and are usually the ones using the 200-250-300 yard range, which requires users to qualify. I live within earshot of the range I use most often, and the rapid-fire strings are less frequent than previously, which maybe reflects the ammo market right now.

Whatever helps you sleep better at night my friend

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,574
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.