Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How come, when some people advertise a gun for sale, they will say the firearm came from an estate or a friend who recently died or something like that. For instance, at our local club, a person selling a rifle advertised " got this rifle from the estate of an older fellow who recently died, I dont think he shot it very much".

WTF, over? Does the fact (?) that the previous owner is now deceased put a premium on the price or somehow increase the quality of the firearm? I see this all the time and just wonder about it.

[Linked Image]
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Lies, more lies and damn lies. I'd bet half the time, it is the actual owner, it don't shoot for schidt, he gets to say when you bring it back complaining, "Well, I never shot it, I got from Fudd's wife when he croaked, I had no idea it was a piece of schidt with a 1/4" excessive headspace."

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It may be their way of saying they don't know dick about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Lies, more lies and damn lies. I'd bet half the time, it is the actual owner, it don't shoot for schidt, he gets to say when you bring it back complaining, "Well, I never shot it, I got from Fudd's wife when he croaked, I had no idea it was a piece of schidt with a 1/4" excessive headspace."

That's a distinct possibility. Almost daily we read right here on these pages of one of our esteemed members sending a dud "down the road."

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Gives the seller a chance to touch up the bluing and the stock and able to avoid answering any questions about it.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In some cases it may be to forestall someone asking "Why are you selling it?", which can be annoying.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Stickfight
In some cases it may be to forestall someone asking "Why are you selling it?", which can be annoying.

Well played. I had a table adjoining a fella at the Big Reno Show, in 3 1/2 days he never told the same story twice about any rifle on his table. It was kind of fun to listen to his yarns, I think he owned a pawnshop. Hmmm.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To avoid any personal responsibility.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Stickfight

Literally the most annoying question ever. What difference does it make, it’s for sale?

Additionally I’m on board with the “don’t know dick about it” boys. Honestly it’s usually because they got it at an auction or from some rando and felt they could make a couple bucks and that gives them plausible deniability.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the doctor ever gives me the bad news, I'm gonna have a pre-estate sale. wink

To me, those little sayings are red flags about the veracity of the seller - "I don't think", "doesn't look like it's been shot much". Great, so you cleaned it and put some oil on it.

It might very well be a slightly used firearm, or it could be well used but well cared for with decades of life left in it, but unless someone knows its history for a fact don't regale me with your speculation and try to pass that off like it's some kind of iron clad certification.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
if th e gun is bought off the estate of a dead man, the 4473 dies with the guy. gun lot harder to trace.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Funny you should post this; had a cheap $250 pump shotgun advertised locally; got this inquiry. My listing had good pics and acknowlgded not perfect condion; but clean and functioning.Sheesh; I mean what was it used for? Shooting shotgun shells ,maybe??

"Interested in the pump 20guage.
Are you the only owner?
How long have you had it?
What was it used for?
Why are you selling?
Everything working?
No squeaking?
No rust?"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Funny you should post this; had a cheap $250 pump shotgun advertised locally; got this inquiry. My listing had good pics and acknowlgded not perfect condion; but clean and functioning.Sheesh; I mean what was it used for? Shooting shotgun shells ,maybe??

"Interested in the pump 20guage.
Are you the only owner?
How long have you had it?
What was it used for?
Why are you selling?
Everything working?
No squeaking?
No rust?"

I can’t help but be an [bleep] in response to those questions.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Most everything I've ever listed online
brought out every tirekicker in the nation.
Sold more things through the old free
sale papers that used to be everywhere
Nowadays there's a gazillion and one
"bored " basement dwellers looking online
for whatever they can see whether they're
truly interested in purchasing or not.
I can see how people get angry and frustrated
with people asking a bunch of questions
when you know blessed a-well they're not
really looking to buy anything.
It's much the same at gun shows around
here any more.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,651 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,286
Posts18,467,868
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.