Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh my,

Crying Karen,you'll "take" Imagination and Pretend,if only because it's all that you can arrange...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

It requires MUCH more case capacity,to scoot the .308" 230 Beer Can,with the SWEET disposition of the .284" 190gr version of same. Such things,will only "surprise" you and your ilk. Hint. LAUGHING

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for DREAMING otherwise.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh my, you lil name dropper you!!! Guess well see about your "estimates".... grin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh sweetie, your stubby lil fingers running numbers??? Get to it dummy!!! Lets see some charts!!! Haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What do you plan to shoot with it?

I don't shoot at 700 yards because my range steel only goes out to 565 yards.

The only thing I have shot the steel with in my 300RUM at 565 yards are 180 ETips.

I normally use my 308 to shoot the 565 yard steel. My favorite bullets are 125 TNTs cause they are cheap.

At 700yards with the RUM I would think there would be several decent choices.

At much farther yardage, it would make more sense to split hairs.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by RMiller2
What do you plan to shoot with it?

I don't shoot at 700 yards because my range steel only goes out to 565 yards.

The only thing I have shot the steel with in my 300RUM at 565 yards are 180 ETips.

I normally use my 308 to shoot the 565 yard steel. My favorite bullets are 125 TNTs cause they are cheap.

At 700yards with the RUM I would think there would be several decent choices.

At much farther yardage, it would make more sense to split hairs.

I'm preparing for an elk hunting trip for Colorado next year and want to minimize the potential error due to wind deflection of I have higher wind and a long shot. Range where I'm at in Michigan I can shoot out to 700yds. There's a good chance I'll be inside 700yds but given the RUM is hard on barrels I'd like to develop a load that's focused around minimal windage error. The 225 ELD looks the best from the ballistics I've run with the Hornady software and the 300 RUM velocity potential. Given that the ELD is not a hunting bullet I'll have to work with something else, but the 225gr looks to be the best balance in the RUM.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I've hunted Colorado, since 1948 killed a lot of Elk with a 30-30, Iron sites, they are not bullet proof, bow hunters kill them at 10 to 25 yrds every year, enjoy your hunt. Rio7

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 230 OTM and some H1000 ain't a bad place to start playing around.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mkopmani
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
What exactly is 'ballistic balance'? Start with what you want a bullet to accomplish and the range you need the bullet to do that. If being able to hit and kill at 700 yards is the end point, 'balance' is completely different than in the same scenario at 300 yards. The former 210 grains, the latter 165, would be the 'balance' point for me. It must be a given that the rifle shoots both well enough.

It all starts with hitting; followed by 'what' and 'where'. Fortunately the .30 cal is wealthy in that regard.

By ballistic balance, I'm talking of the point where the minimum windage deflection occurs. Elevation is easy to dial in as it's basically gravity and time. Windage however is harder to compensate as wind is not the same at all points out to a long distance. In order to minimize windage error, it's best to use a bullet which has the least deflection for the velocity capabilities of the cartridge.

For a given cartridge, there is an equilibrium point whereby the heavier bullet with higher BC will have more windage deflection than a lighter bullet with lower BC because the heavy bullet will travel at lower velocity and due to longer time. For 300 RUM, from class I've done since the initial post, it looks like 225 gr has the least deflection at 700yds.

Ok, if minimum windage effect is the goal, the higher the BC, the better. I'd use VLDs. Plus, they're good killers.

Nope, that's my point. Only if velocities are the same does the High BC win out. In many cases, the lighter bullet with lower BC will have less windage drift as it has less time in flight vs the slower, heavier, but better BC bullet. There's a trade off point.

Yes, there's a trade-off point. Millions of fast-twist barrels and heavy, high-BC bullets now sold indicate where the trade-off is. Stuffing a 130 grain bullet in your RUM will not get you there. Better, build a 6.5 x 300 RUM, shoot 140's, and get the best of both worlds. smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
When its way out there the 6.5 just doesnt have the mass and momenteum i desire. Ive used the 240gr SMK and yes its wicked. It kills a long way out there. Same with the big 338 and 375 cal boomers. Even at the 1 mile range the amount of damage on an elk size animal is very impressive.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

oldalpinecricker, Please tell us about all the Elk you have seen killed or killed your self at a mile, and the rifle and scope combo, and load, pictures would help also. Rio7

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
In my 309 RUM I use the 200gr Accubond. It is a hell of a good elk bullet. Not the greatest box, but adequate. Rifle is a ss Nesika action, 30” Rock barrel McM HTR stock. It has worked excellent out to 1180 on a large Mike deer and 850 on an elk. The LR Accubonds weren’t out when I developed that load but at 3250 it does a great job. Haven’t tried any VLD’s out of it and will likely stick with what has worked so well in the past.

Shoot straight, shoot often
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by adam32
BC will outrun velocity every time.

Depends what ranges you're talking about too and impact velocity to make sure the bullet will expand into game.

Actually it dosent.
In my 36” barreled 30x378 which i used for Pa long range hunting for about 30 years, i got 3500 fps with a 200 gr smk.
I never bothered to chronograph the 240 smk because the 200 shot with considerably less clicks on the scope at 1500 yds than the 240 did.
At 1700 yds the opposite was true, but then we never killed any deer at 1700 either.
Same goes for the 338s which is what i rebarreled to after my old barrel shot out.
The 250 will out perform the 300 gr as for added elevation to at least 1500 yds, depending on the cartridge.
Now these are actual (observed) differences done by shooting.
The difference is the heavier bullets are more consistant at the longer distances, but they dont shoot flatter for the most part.
Velocity rules, with every bore diameter.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by yobuck

Depends what ranges you're talking about too and impact velocity to make sure the bullet will expand into game.

Actually it dosent.
In my 36” barreled 30x378 which i used for Pa long range hunting for about 30 years, i got 3500 fps with a 200 gr smk.
I never bothered to chronograph the 240 smk because the 200 shot with considerably less clicks on the scope at 1500 yds than the 240 did.
At 1700 yds the opposite was true, but then we never killed any deer at 1700 either.
Same goes for the 338s which is what i rebarreled to after my old barrel shot out.
The 250 will out perform the 300 gr as for added elevation to at least 1500 yds, depending on the cartridge.
The difference is the heavier bullets are more consistant at the longer distances, but they dont shoot flatter for the most part.

The 250 in 338 certainly shoots flatter but has much more wind drift

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by yobuck

Actually it dosent.

The 250 in 338 certainly shoots flatter but has much more wind drift

Yep, you guys get it. At some point the heavy bullet's velocity is slow enough vs the lighter quicker bullet that the longer time in flight and windage deflection is the same or actually worse. Elevation is not a big deal as it's pretty much a constant, and can be dialed in whereas windage/wind is not. Max velocity potential is limited by the cartridge and bullet weight. True that velocity, not BC would always win, but unfortunately the velocity potential is limited by the cartridge. Run the ballistics on the Hornady app and you'll see that there's an equilibrium point with 700yd+ long ranges.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
Even at the 1 mile range the amount of damage on an elk size animal is very impressive.

WTF are you doing "trying" to shoot big game at a mile????????????

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
215 Berger

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
When its way out there the 6.5 just doesnt have the mass and momenteum i desire. Ive used the 240gr SMK and yes its wicked. It kills a long way out there. Same with the big 338 and 375 cal boomers. Even at the 1 mile range the amount of damage on an elk size animal is very impressive.

The 240 SMK & the 300 SMK do a tremendous amount of damage on game
Darrel Cassell killed a bull elk at 2100 yards with the 338-416 shooting the 300 grain SMK the bullet went through both shoulders and exited with a tennis ball sized exit hole

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Looking for what is the optimal balance between velocity and high BC of heavier bullets for 300 RUM. Looking at ballistic combos, at least one site suggests that a 165gr is the best combo. Any other opinions accompanied by data?

If your RUM has an 1:8 twist barrel our new Barnes Bullets 208 LRX should be a hammer.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by GSSP
Looking for what is the optimal balance between velocity and high BC of heavier bullets for 300 RUM. Looking at ballistic combos, at least one site suggests that a 165gr is the best combo. Any other opinions accompanied by data?

If your RUM has an 1:8 twist barrel our new Barnes Bullets 208 LRX should be a hammer.

I haven’t looked at Barnes in years, just noticed that 212 bore rider with a .705 G1. Appears to be extremely long, 8 twist fast enough? I can get out to 3.8+ OAL in my PRC , it’s got me wondering if it’d work bearing surface wise as a repeater . What was that bullet designed for?I’d guess it’s still going to be a considerable jump.

Bore riders kinda came and went pretty quick in the ELR game. Have you worked with these at all?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by rosco1

Bore riders kinda came and went pretty quick in the ELR game. Have you worked with these at all?

Not yet. I've got a decent quality I picked up before the holidays but needed to finish working with the 208 LRX during the Christmas break and another, new, bullet we're about to release in a few weeks as well as our 145 Matchburners in both my 6.5x47's. Soon though.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

708 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 3,091 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,946
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.