Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
For years I've always had a set of 8x32 for my deer hunting and a set of 10x42 for elk and other western pursuits. In recent years, I've found my 10x42 stay home/truck and I default to the 8x32 because they are much lighter - and I really don't think I'm giving up much.

So - I'm thinking of selling both existing binos, and buying 1 pair of 8x42.

In full disclosure, I don't spend much time sitting up high and glassing for hours/days. I get bored with that and find myself doing alot of still hunting and glassing one ridge to another looking for animals.

For those running 8x binos out west, what has been your experience with glassing?

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My 8x30 slc gets more use than all my other binos. Hell, I’ve got a new set of 8x42 slc that never gets used, because I usually grab my 10x when I feel I need a little more X. Maybe I should sell the 8x42

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use 10x32 EL Swarovski. Good magnification and not heavy or bulky. I’ve used them tree stand bow hunting in thick woods to sheep hunting in mountains, and everything in between.

NRA Patron
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I bought a Swarovski 10x42 EL several years ago for elk hunting and wouldn't go back to a lower magnification binocular like I used for many years before. I spend a lot of time glassing and the Swarovski has been ideal for such. Some mention difficulty in holding a 10x glass steady but I've never encountered this. If I did, I'd certainly go with 8x.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bill, all I have ever owned going back to the 1970's have been 7x30/35mm and 8x30/32mm binoculars. I've never found the additional 2X or 3X going to a 10X made enough difference (I've compared between my 8x32's and various friends 10X's in the field enough to know this is true). If I need more magnification than 8x, a spotter with a LOT more magnification than 10X is what I want.

If I were going to deal with the bulk and weight of a 40/42mm glass it would be a 7x42 or 8x42, not a 10X. For me the reason to go to 40/42mm is to get that beautiful big exit pupil that allows light to wash ones eyeballs. A 10x40 has the same exit pupil as an 8x32, but also has one additional glass element to add weight and lose light. Too, I do find the view through a 10X to be more "jerky" given higher magnification. That bugs me, and find an 8x hits that "sweet spot" between magnification and minimizing shake. For my hunting, minimal bulk and weight really matter to me, and I've never felt handicapped with a 7 or 8x32 binocular.

In our culture, males are predisposed to believe "bigger is better" and "more is more." I believe that's the sort of unconscious bias that sometimes goes into binocular selection... "10X must be better, it's more!" For me, I find it's less. Obviously not everyone feels that way (nor should they) and my bias is my own, but it's hard won over many decades. I will probably add a 42mm binocular to my other Leica's, but it will be a 7x42 or 8x42. Something for use from the truck, around the house, birding, etc. Not for backpack-hunting.

The two finest binoculars I've ever looked through are the 7x42 Ultravid and 8x42 Noctivid. If you want a 42mm binocular, you can't go wrong with either of those. All binocular choices are a compromise weighted in one direction or another. You just have to find what compromises you can live with and work for you, because no one binocular "does it all." But, I do think a quality 8x32 gets closest (though I'd prefer a 7x32 or 35).

At the end of the day what a top tier binocular offers is exceptional resolution. That's what you pay for and it matters far more than additional X's.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
You'll do just fine with the 8x.

I use them most of the time. Have 10x for antelope and sheep, but that's the only time I take them out.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have several bino's but always take along my 10x42EL Swaro's. for a second bino I am more likely to take my 15x56's than my 7x35's

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everyone's needs are different. What works for one may not work for the next guy... I've always preferred using 10 x 40's and just bought a set of Swarovski EL's for a bit of extra clarity over the Leupolds I've carried for over 20 years. I've had opportunity to use 8X glass and in 90% of instances I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be handicapped going with them, but that other 10% of the time I really need the 10X glass for those big canyons we hunt and the little hidy spots that are sometimes hard to separate without enough power to define little details. Holding steady has never been a big issue for me, even for relatively long glassing periods, but with inferior glass it certainly would be a problem.
My brother and nephew both went with 12 x 50 Vortex this year and they really seem to like them, but I just couldn't bring myself to carry such heavy glass around all day long. Compared to my older Leupold Porro Prisms, even the new 10 x 42 ELs are pretty heavy units relatively speaking..

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. The thread title should have read 8x32 or 10x42...............

The weight difference between my 8x32 and 10x42 doesn't sound like much (20 oz v 27 oz) but I find the smaller size of the 8x32 'better' for some reason. My other observation is the MeoStar B1 are very close optically to my Ultravids for 1/2 the price.

I appreciate the thoughts. Keep 'em coming!

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Bill, I use Swaro 8x30 CL for my trips out west. I find they are great for peering through the timber and scanning tree lines ahead. Next season I’m adding some Meopta 15s and a tripod in order to walk less (and spook fewer elk in theory). This year was so dry I felt I was likely just running the elk off when moving through the timber. As for 10s, I feel they are neither ideal for spot and stalk for elk/deer in the CO Rockies (bulkier, heavier, smaller FOV, shakier when holding) nor ideal for longer range glassing. For different, more open, environments, perhaps the 10s would work better for me. If I were to make a change, I would consider going from 8x30 to 8x42 for potential low light improvements. I’d want to try them to see if performance met the theory though. Only a few minutes a day it might matter, but it is something to consider.

IC B3

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
As a wearer of eyeglasses, I am very conscious of eye relief. As such, I’ve never come across any 8x30 or 32 glass with adequate eye relief for me.

I do find I like 10x42 just a little bit more for my hunting, in both timber and open country. But only a little bit more. I am also fond of the 8x42.

Last edited by GF1; 01/11/21.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I run Leica 8x42 RF binos. I have 10x Zeiss but the 8x are easier to hold.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like my 8’s so much I bought 6’s. Handheld 8’s are better for me than 10’s and I think low light is even better with 8’s.

I’m not out west, but just my experience.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
pro, I jumped on the less magnification bandwagon this year and I won't be going back. I used Meopta MeoStar B1 Plus 8x42 for over 28 days in the field Oct-Dec. They helped me take a dandy 8 year old buck we hadn't seen in 3 years. The low light visibility and wider field of view let me see deer before the sun was even close to cresting the horizon. My bow hunting buddy found the same low light performance when he used them in a tree stand 2 for 2 days. They were bigger and heavier than the 32's he usually uses but loved the quality features. Meopta evn has an 8x56 bino MeoStar B1 Plus bino.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bwinters
Thanks guys. The thread title should have read 8x32 or 10x42...............

The weight difference between my 8x32 and 10x42 doesn't sound like much (20 oz v 27 oz) but I find the smaller size of the 8x32 'better' for some reason. My other observation is the MeoStar B1 are very close optically to my Ultravids for 1/2 the price.

I appreciate the thoughts. Keep 'em coming!

I like my 8X32 Swaros best for all around. I do have 10X42s as well, but they don't get much use nowadays although they did come in handier than the 8s in Africa when glassing at longer ranges. . I also have a pair of (gasp) Cabelas Alaskan Guide 8X42s and I use those more than the other two if for no other reason it gives me better light transmission here in the Georgia timber. I did also have a pair of Leica Geovids 8X42s with the built in Range finder, but they were heavy, offered no appreciable difference (to my eyes) than the Alaskans and besides, my son confiscated them smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
8X32 and 10X42 are different applications IMO.

For me, 8X32 shine for quick looks as you’re moving around, and 10X42 is more for picking stuff apart. If I only had one set of glass and hunted areas that you could glass good distance for longer periods as well as quick looks, I’d probably go 10X42 and a tripod.

I personally prefer 8X42 as my chest glass over 10X.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice having options, Jorge. I know what you mean about kids,"confiscating" items. My son commissions into the AF in May, without a doubt I'll be checking his bags before he leaves. He has already claimed an Opika6 1-6x24 on his carbine comp rifle and my MeoStar 10x42 (TBD). I have used some binorangefinders in the past and just coudn't get on that bandwagon. My very early preseason scouting binos are 8x32 that I pretty much keep around my neck. Even in warm/hot weather they are not in the way.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have not tried them, but a guy told me the Meopta 8x56 were really nice.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 16bore
I like my 8’s so much I bought 6’s. Handheld 8’s are better for me than 10’s and I think low light is even better with 8’s.

I’m not out west, but just my experience.

16bore, Mind if I ask what 6Xs you bought. I want to buy a pair for stillhunting whitetails in the heavy NE woods of NY and Maine. Even my 8Xs seem to be too much. Thanks

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by prm
I have not tried them, but a guy told me the Meopta 8x56 were really nice.

I’m curious about those too. 7x42 slc’s have been my go to binoculars for 10 years or so. I guess I’m wondering how much brighter the 56’s are compared to 42’s. The size and the weight wouldn’t bother me hunting here. Would like opinions from guys who have used them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

736 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,041
Posts18,462,868
Members73,920
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.