Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Tyrone Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Dissenter is another browser alternative. I think Brave may be deceptive about who they really are.
I think Brendan Eich is for real. He's paid some dues.

Anybody who has invested in Brendan's Brave browser knew full darn well who they were teaming up with. I'd say that makes them pretty solid too.

Last edited by Tyrone; 01/11/21.

Politics is War by Other Means
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What Brave does well is block ads and popups without having to mess with add ons. It's built in and works great. I never see any at all.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is cut and pasted from my thread as another alternative people can try:

For folks looking at desktop browser options, as I mentioned elsewhere in the thread, give Iridium a try. It's a Chrome spin off like many others, was built from the ground up for security, and it's probably got the smallest overhead of similar browsers. It loads the Campfire faster than all the browsers I have tried. I would add the Ublock Origin ad blocker extension to keep those at bay. Ublock probably has the least overhead of ad blockers too. It does not have a browser level VPN, so you would have to add one if you wanted to go that route. But for basic security and performance out of the box, you probably won't find better. It also comes with Qwant as the default search engine and has all the pointers to Google services disabled if that matters to you.

https://iridiumbrowser.de

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just looked at Iridium. It won't download. The download button doesn't work.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I just looked at Iridium. It won't download. The download button doesn't work.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and select the operating system options. Worked fine for me from there. In my case, I selected Windows and the 64 bit option and the download happened right away.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
tag

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used Dissenter for only a few minutes now, but I LIKE it. Maybe the other suggestions are just as good, I dunno...but if you try Dissenter you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have an Android, check the play store for Dissenter. It ain't there. Google appears to be happy to offer Brave, however. Mean anything? Maybe, maybe not.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One caution note: Don't delete Firefox until you're absolutely sure your new browser works with all your extensions and add-ons, and that it imports your bookmarks and passwords (if you use the browser's built-in password manager) Also be sure there's a sync option to migrate everything from machine to machine.

There's no penalty from having multiple browsers installed, and you can name any of them as your default.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A friend who works in IT and is very security-conscious recommended Brave to me, I have been using it for several months. I have found no downsides as yet.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Tag

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RiverRider
If you have an Android, check the play store for Dissenter. It ain't there. Google appears to be happy to offer Brave, however. Mean anything? Maybe, maybe not.

Dissenter is more resource intensive.
Windows 64bit, Linux and Apple OS.
I believe it is also by Brandon Eich though I cannot find reference of that fact on Crunchbase.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 01/11/21.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The whole discussion reminds me of the short guy going in the bar and taking a poke at the 6'4" oak tree.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
One caution note: Don't delete Firefox until you're absolutely sure your new browser works with all your extensions and add-ons, and that it imports your bookmarks and passwords (if you use the browser's built-in password manager) Also be sure there's a sync option to migrate everything from machine to machine.

There's no penalty from having multiple browsers installed, and you can name any of them as your default.

Smart. I installed Brave this morning on Mint OS, and I'm getting an error. It;s working but there is a glitch showing up in the terminal. Hoping for some help from the Mint folks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

No sidebar for bookmarks without accessing "bookmarks"?

Can you set the search engine tab in address bar area at top of page?

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wayne, did you use the Terminal commands from the Brave website?

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Tyrone
With Mozilla's CEO calling for "more than deplatforming" of not only Trump, but ALL Conservatives ( https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2021/01/08/we-need-more-than-deplatforming/ ), it is past time to switch from Firefox to some other browser, like Brave.

This is the same group of people that ousted their former CEO, Brendan Eich, just for supporting real family and standing up against sodomy. ( https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybr...dan-eich-crossed-a-line/?sh=4e1d04666f8a )

I suggest Brave because not only is it a decent browser with some nice security features, but it is also headed up by - guess who? Brendan Eich!

F U CK Mozilla!

Holy chit, thanks for the heads-up....will do!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
This is cut and pasted from my thread as another alternative people can try:

For folks looking at desktop browser options, as I mentioned elsewhere in the thread, give Iridium a try. It's a Chrome spin off like many others, was built from the ground up for security, and it's probably got the smallest overhead of similar browsers. It loads the Campfire faster than all the browsers I have tried. I would add the Ublock Origin ad blocker extension to keep those at bay. Ublock probably has the least overhead of ad blockers too. It does not have a browser level VPN, so you would have to add one if you wanted to go that route. But for basic security and performance out of the box, you probably won't find better. It also comes with Qwant as the default search engine and has all the pointers to Google services disabled if that matters to you.

https://iridiumbrowser.de

Will check that out too.....thanks Jake.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Wayne, did you use the Terminal commands from the Brave website?

No I didn't, I used a Linux affiliated website commands. Or so I thought it was affiliated, maybe. Regardless, I've been using it all day, and there are things that I'm used to from FF that Brave doesn't have, configuring the desktop. Seems not as user friendly as before. Not that it's bad, just not what I've grown to like.

If I decide to keep it, I'll delete it and reload it again. Anything can happen during that process. Mint was very specific to authenticate the download before installing, maybe for a reason.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm going to keep using Firefox until they actually block something conservative, like my news sites or the 'Fire. All this may come to nothing if they get too many complaints and recant After all, such an action directly violates their founding principle of a free and open source browser.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 67 invisible), 3,520 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.