Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have lived in Wyoming for about 5 years now and the majority of my family lives in PA. They have been building up points to hunt WY for various species and it looks like next fall may bring the first round of family to hunt Antelope. I plan to purchase a loaner rifle to save them the expense of having to fly with a firearm. I am the only left-handed shooter in the family. I would like to avoid a right-handed rifle and buy one that I could also enjoy/use. I have settled on a Ruger #1 and have been thinking about the 1V in 25-06. I also own a #1A in 30-06 and hunt with that rifle extensively, but keep my shots to around 300 yards. My question is to any 1V owners. Is that model any more accurate than a 1A or AB? Do you feel the heavy barrel is an advantage for long-range shooting? I would like to set the rifle up to be able to handle shots out to around 500 yards or so.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
-- Fred Bear
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Other than the weight, the 1V in 25-06 would be a good choice for your uses, as long as it's a shooter.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by mgorm16640
I have lived in Wyoming for about 5 years now and the majority of my family lives in PA. They have been building up points to hunt WY for various species and it looks like next fall may bring the first round of family to hunt Antelope. I plan to purchase a loaner rifle to save them the expense of having to fly with a firearm. I am the only left-handed shooter in the family. I would like to avoid a right-handed rifle and buy one that I could also enjoy/use. I have settled on a Ruger #1 and have been thinking about the 1V in 25-06. I also own a #1A in 30-06 and hunt with that rifle extensively, but keep my shots to around 300 yards. My question is to any 1V owners. Is that model any more accurate than a 1A or AB? Do you feel the heavy barrel is an advantage for long-range shooting? I would like to set the rifle up to be able to handle shots out to around 500 yards or so.

I really enjoy my #1V in .25-06. Currently it wears a Leupold VX-II 4-12x50mm (14.5oz scope) in Ruger rings, the rear being offset. Weight as pictured is 9lbs, 7.6oz. And even though it isn't a "light" rifle, it handles surprisingly well since its still a relatively compact rifle (when compared to a long action bolt rifle).

My main use for this rifle is a short hike then sitting on a green field for whitetails. The weight, especially since it is all forward weight, really helps the rifle stay steady on the rest or when shooting offhand if needed. This rifle consistently shoots MOA but I am able to squeeze out a 0.75" group @ 100yds on occasion. I feel the factory trigger is holding the rifle back a bit...it is pretty heavy and creepy. I hope to get around to putting a Jard trigger in it one of these days but I just have too many projects going on right now.

To your question of whether it is "more accurate than a 1A or AB"....I would say the potential for accuracy is better with the 1V than with the 1A or 1AB variants. I have seen some incredibly accurate A and B models through the years. I have also seen some incredibly accurate V models. Each rifle may have it's quirks though, so you never know until you pull the trigger and see what that individual rifle will do. That said, if you are focused on a 500yd capable rifle, and plan to stick with the #1 action, I believe the 1V will help stack the odds in your favor.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve owned three heavy barrel #1s. All 22 center fires. None were very accurate. So, basis my experience, I’d not buy a heavier barrel #1 for better accuracy.
The 25-06 is a great antelope round.

NRA Patron
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Have you considered a Ruger #1-AH (Alex Henry forend) with a 24 inch sporter weight barrel. John Barshness (AKA Mule Deer) bought one when Ruger produced them and as I recall the rifle shot very well for him.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had a 25-06 1V for a couple of years. Accuracy was terrific with 100 gr Sierras & H4831. One of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned.

However it seemed awfully heavy for carrying in the steep terrain I often hunt. I have a couple more Number One rifles that carry more easily. Never weighed that 1V, but it was chunky. Traded it off - and have regretted that move ever since.

I do like the cartridge - and have used a bolt action 25-06 quite a bit for antelope, mule deer and a few coyotes.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless one is going to seriously get down on a bench with some ammo and calipers, I doubt most hunters will notice any disparity among the #1's. If one is indeed going to get out of his truck, I'd be inclined to pack a lighter rifle.

1Minute
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I used a #1V in .25-06 as my primary varmint rifle for a couple of years in the mid-70s. Wanted a .22-250 in #1V, but couldn't find one anywhere so settled for the .25. A couple of years later I found one in .22-250 and traded for that. Looking back, both were too darned heavy to carry over hill and dale. If I were doing it over, I would have settled for a .22-250 in a #1B. My .25-06 ran on 87 and 90 grain bullets and was very accurate. Five shot groups ran about 5/8 inches unless I pulled a shot.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
ed Looking back, both were too darned heavy to carry over hill and dale. If I were doing it over, I would have settled for a .22-250 in a #1B.

I purchased my very first #1 in 1978 (1-V 7mm Mag.) That year, I hunted with it exactly ONE day. I never hunted with it again. And traded it off a couple years later. Later I had a 1-V in .25/06 and then a 1-V in .300 Win. (I'm a slow learner...) frown I now have 1-Vs in 6mm PPC and .22 PPC. But only for funsies. Most of my 1-Bs either got shortened, or sold.

I just weighed my Ruger 1-B in .338 Win. w/26" Bbl. It tips the scales at 8.3 lbs with rings. Add a 3.5x10 Leupold and it goes 9.25 lbs. (No sling, no ammo...) I don't know about you all, but I'm too old, too fat, and lazy to tote a rifle that heavy in the field. And, of course, you know that a .338 would be the lightest 1B there is... (It has the largest hole thru the middle.)

My 1-A in .338 Federal tips the scales at 7.3 lbs Exactly a pound lighter than a 1-B. I believe the LIGHTEST (and my favorite...) of all that I own is my #1-AH in 8x57 Mauser...(Which, of course, Ruger never made) It goes 7.6 lbs with Leupold 6x36 installed. (Still no 3 rds of Ammo and Sling...)

Many will trade off a little weight for a the performance of a 26" barrel. I believe the performance is more imagined than real. YMMV... But for me, the lighter a rifle is, the easier I carry it. And that's the way I like it! - GH

Last edited by Grasshopper; 01/09/21. Reason: Clarification

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have hunted Wyoming off and on for 30 years and have shot a lot of antelope. Years ago I made a 257 Weatherby my go to lope rifle. I'd be hard pressed to say I've shot one much over 200 yards. This years lope was about 80 yards.
I've have #1's ranging from 250 Savage to 450/400 NE. all are good shooters. IMHO I'd look for a AH in 25/06, 257 Roberts, 250 Savage, 7x57, 243 ect. Antelope hunting can require a lot of walking and the weight of a varmint rifle overrides any increased accuracy that might be gained by the heavy barrel.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have killed two antelope with my 1-A in 7x57. One at 330 paces. It is reasonably light and more than accurate for the task. I can not see the need for the extra weight or barrel length.
But if I had that 1V and antelope license I would not hesitate to use it.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
My first No 1 was a V in 7mm Rem Mag. I lived in eastern NC at the time and it was great shooting from elevated box blinds down long straight logging roads or over bean fields. When I moved and started hunting the mountains of eastern KY that heavy 26" barrel got real old real fast. I sold it for a No 1 A in 30-06 and never looked back. Both were plenty accurate and kill deer out as far as I'm willing to shoot them, but the 1 A is a joy to carry up and down the steep hills.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,135
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.