Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
hotsoup Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
i'm switching from desktop to laptop, and would like your suggestions as to which one to buy. I believe I'd be fine with a "standard" laptop as I don't play games on the computer. I use the computer for research, reading on boards such as this one, and for financial research/transactions. your opinions are appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just bought an "open box" ASUS Zenbook with 16G RAM and 1TB SSD for around $900. I'm really happy with it now that my AI scientist fiance has disabled a few annoying features.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dell XPS series has been great for me.

------------------------
John
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Just bought a new Dell. 16 GB RAM, 1tb solid state hard drive.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't overlook refurbished business machines at Woot!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

H
hotsoup Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks men

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jmh3
Dell XPS series has been great for me.

Same here. We just bought my wife one a few months back and she’s very happy with it.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I also use a laptop, a Dell in my case. I use it with a 24" monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse. I just set the laptop off to 1 side. I do this because when we travel, it's easy to just unplug it and bag it for the trip. I take the mouse but not the monitor or keyboard.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MacBook.

Thank me later.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MacBook Pro. PCs are crap.

Last edited by High_Noon; 01/11/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny, my wife has a Macbook and I have a Dell and I love my Dell and I hate the MacBook. She tolerates it because it was a gift and it was a reasonably high end model, but she struggles with it constantly....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sheister
Funny, my wife has a Macbook and I have a Dell and I love my Dell and I hate the MacBook. She tolerates it because it was a gift and it was a reasonably high end model, but she struggles with it constantly....

That's because both of you haven't learned how to properly use it yet - you been conditioned to believe that crap PCs work well. Once you learn how to use a Mac properly, you'll wonder why you ever used a convoluted PC. Macs are a helluva' lot more intuitive than PCs could ever hope to be.

Keep at it, or sign up for a course, if you need it. The learning curve for Macs can be steep, but it's well worth the effort to learn how to use it. I would never, ever go back to a PC - they suck compared to a MAC.

Last edited by High_Noon; 01/11/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by High_Noon

That's because both of you haven't learned how to properly use it yet - you been conditioned to believe that crap PCs work well. Once you learn how to use a Mac properly, you'll wonder why you ever used a convoluted PC. Macs are a helluva' lot more intuitive than PCs could ever hope to be.

Keep at it, or sign up for a course, if you need it. The learning curve for Macs can be steep, but it's well worth the effort to learn how to use it. I would never, ever go back to a PC - they suck compared to a MAC.

Agreed, except I didn't find the learning curve too tough.

Every time my wife powers up her PC it goes through an update, and who knows how long MS will support their latest version? I kicked MS to the curb when they quit supporting XP and have never regretted it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last years Lenovo t-series.

Business class and pretty solid laptops.

You can find plenty of reviews.

Something g like a t450 or t470.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by hotsoup
i'm switching from desktop to laptop, and would like your suggestions as to which one to buy. I believe I'd be fine with a "standard" laptop as I don't play games on the computer. I use the computer for research, reading on boards such as this one, and for financial research/transactions. your opinions are appreciated.

It’s slightly used but top of the line , Nancy has one she would let go cheap 😂
Kenneth

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It's intuitive - but the learning curve is steep. Dontcha just love oxymorons?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
DON'T BUY ANYTHING HP , bought a $350 laptop POS - SD cards don't work , doesn't charge although the it shows itself to be charging , cheap & flimsy .

Multiple times contacting HP - they send links for me to try and find out what the problems are , NEVER will I buy anything HP again .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hotsoup

If you just want mobility and you were happy with the OS on the old desktop go with the same OS in the best laptop you can afford. A lot of companies that have people that actually use laptops in mobile situations go with Lenovo T series machines.
None of them are perfect.

I will agree with old mike, in general HP sucks.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by High_Noon

I resisted Apple my entire life after my exposure with a 2e back in the late 70's early 80's.

Our office provided iPads for the field but they always seemed to work and after using Android after my first bag phone said fk'it, I was sick of the Samsung and Android and bought an iPhone 8 and now an 11 and of course, made in China and also Apple is fk'ing with the 1st Amendment.

Please explain how the Macbook is better than a PC, I can believe reliability is better based on my experience with the iPad and iPhone.

I normally buy a ~300-350 dollar bottom of the line laptop every five years or so and surf, Quickload, MSOffice, Photoshop...

The insane cost is one reason for not jumping ship.

Dave

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Been running Macs for 32 years and am completely satisfied with their products. I just can no longer tolerate the company and their policies. Therefore, we're lookin for alternatives.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,003
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.