Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by JackVliet
I think I'd go with a browning hi power, that or my glock 20.

Hard to argue with the Glock 20. Mine has served me well. I would prefer one of my N frames in a caliber that starts with 4, but truth be told, the Glock 20 has spent much time on my belt in situations where I didn't want the N frames to get too dirty or fouled up, but still wanted a handgun I could reach out and touch something at 100 yards or so.

The G20 makes sense, especially when people are routinely shooting 40 S&W though them unmodified and getting excellent reliability.

I've got a G20, and have actually tried the trick of shooting .40 S&W through it. Worked fine, but to save possible extra wear and tear on the extractor, I purchased a Lone Wolf .40 S&W barrel for it, which also works perfectly.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by JackVliet
I think I'd go with a browning hi power, that or my glock 20.

Hard to argue with the Glock 20. Mine has served me well. I would prefer one of my N frames in a caliber that starts with 4, but truth be told, the Glock 20 has spent much time on my belt in situations where I didn't want the N frames to get too dirty or fouled up, but still wanted a handgun I could reach out and touch something at 100 yards or so.

The G20 makes sense, especially when people are routinely shooting 40 S&W though them unmodified and getting excellent reliability.

I've got a G20, and have actually tried the trick of shooting .40 S&W through it. Worked fine, but to save possible extra wear and tear on the extractor, I purchased a Lone Wolf .40 S&W barrel for it, which also works perfectly.

Just a couple of weeks ago I tried my Glock 20 with a couple of mags of .40’s. Function was perfect, accuracy not the best. I’ve considered getting a.40 barrel for it, just because.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Just a couple of weeks ago I tried my Glock 20 with a couple of mags of .40’s. Function was perfect, accuracy not the best. I’ve considered getting a.40 barrel for it, just because.

Good idea to add additional versatility, especially during times of ammo shortages.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Good idea to add additional versatility, especially during times of ammo shortages.

FYI- I've looked around locally A LOT in the shops that sell ammo at what could be called currently a "reasonable" price.

By far, .40 is the most available at a "reasonable" price and I am told by a couple shop owners it is the only standard ammo cartridge not flying off the shelves.

So Hawkeye, long story short, your logic is sound.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by local_dirt

So Hawkeye, long story short, your logic is sound.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've always preferred the 10 over the 40. I owned a bunch of 10mm handguns back in ye olden days but got away from it, trying to consolidate into more common calibers. The 40 always left me cold. Then one of the shortages hit during the Obama era a few years back and I noticed that 40 always seemed available when 45 auto and 9mm was totally gone. So I bought my first 40 S&W handgun. I could do without it, but it's a good caliber and no reason to not have one. FWIW though, I haven't seen 40 around during this shortage, like I did during that one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard to beat a G20, 10mm 1911, or a 45 super 1911 or HK as a do everything handgun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
Born to cheat...

Just read the whole thread

I'm not skeered of grizzlies and I'm not gonna live where they're a thing.
Not skeered of zombies either...

I am somewhat unsettled by those who wanna consider only one handgun. I propose they be kneecapped with a .22 short.

I don't guess that i own a handgun that I would fear as my only one. (Jumping back in here to reconsider. I do own a S&W Bodyguard .380 and it's not for the one gun guy...) They are all reliable and accurate.
What I use the most, by far, is the small selection of .22s that I have here. Can't imagine being without one.

But then, I've never really considered myself to be all that much of a handgunner. Got a few and enjoy them all. They seem to multiply in the safe... For years I was happy with a Philippine RIA 1911 as my only .45. Then I acquired the P320 compact .45. Good thing guns in the safe don't get jealous...

Went from the early 1980s until 2018 without a 9mm in my hands. Now I've got
two, and maybe plans for another.

I've actually got a Model 66 2 1/2" stashed as a SHTF gun. I get it out a couple of times a year to fondle and shoot it. But lately I've come to consider the .22 LCR that I carry around the place as a suitable SHTF gun. And am considering a .38 LCR as well.

You wanna cut me down to only one, you better get an early start. Bring a lunch, and a hall monitor. Known to cheat here...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cwh2
Probably this one.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
5.25" XDm 10.

This is my choice. I did the G20 thing for years until this came out. I had no complaints regarding the functioning of the G20, I just like everything about the XDm more.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Probably this one.
5.25" XDm 10.

This is my choice. I did the G20 thing for years until this came out. I had no complaints regarding the functioning of the G20, I just like everything about the XDm more.

The XDs are great guns. My 10mms are all Glocks and a DW Bruin. The reason is that the XDs (I have two) seem to produce more recoil than the Glocks, which doesn't matter for most cartridges, but with the 10mm, I like to moderate it. I'm basing my comments on 40 S&W Glocks and XDs. Have you compared how the recoil feels between the G20 and the XD10?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have MH and any difference is really negligible to me. Even though I have almost two decades more experience and use with my G20, the XDm just "fits" me better. It even fits me better than my SF G20 and G29.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If I had to choose one it would be my favorite 1911.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have MH and any difference is really negligible to me. Even though I have almost two decades more experience and use with my G20, the XDm just "fits" me better. It even fits me better than my SF G20 and G29.

Makes sense. I like the grip angle on, and feel of, the XDs, and they are one of the easiest semis I have to shoot well.

Haven't shot the XD10. But my little G27 has far less felt recoil than the 5" bbl XD40 Tactical with a heavy tungsten guide rod with the same loads. I think it is because of (1) the lower moment arm between the top of the grip and the center bore; and (2) the dual recoil springs that many Glocks have. My HKs also have that. Basically, instead of trying to match the spring to the load, the dual spring systems have a modest spring in action until the case ejects, and then a stronger spring kicks in; so, you never have the slide smacking against the receiver--it's more of a push than a smack. But those with knowledge, please correct me if I'm incorrect.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Have to be my Dan Wesson 1911 10mm, stainless, great night sights, more accurate than i'll ever be, extremely reliable, not a single hiccup in over 5 years since bought new, holds 11 all up, four spare 10 round Tripp mags will ride comfortably in a hip pocket, 200gr XTP's at 1200+ for general work, 140gr Lehigh Penetrators at 1600 for anything else.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
Easy choice for me, my 4" Smith and Wesson M19 would be the one I'd grab if it came down to only one.

I can't believe I got to page 6 until I found the "right" answer. But the 4" 66 is more "right"!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Probably this one.
5.25" XDm 10.

The XDs are great guns. My 10mms are all Glocks and a DW Bruin. The reason is that the XDs (I have two) seem to produce more recoil than the Glocks, which doesn't matter for most cartridges, but with the 10mm, I like to moderate it. I'm basing my comments on 40 S&W Glocks and XDs. Have you compared how the recoil feels between the G20 and the XD10?

Not to butt in, but I had a G22 and G35 and the G22 was noticeably snappier than my XDM40. The G35 was around the same. Alas, I sent the glocks packing and hung on to my XDM. It is every bit as accurate (had to buy a match grade barrel for the G35, so it would keep up with the XDM) and holds 16 in the magazine.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Its one of my favorites, but if I had to choose just one pistol, it would probably be my CZ P09... 19+1 and gilt edged accuracy. 9mm is good enough for OP's said criteria...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I tote a smith 360 in my pocket everyday. I enjoy shooting my blackhawk 44 and 45 prob the most. But if i had to pick one pistol to feed myself and if i had to shoot someone with it I honestly think id tote my 4” buckmark. Could tote alot of rounds and 10 +1 stingers or something similar would change a bad guys mind real quick.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I guess my Bill Davis built Couger, 38 Special to full blown 357 Mag. (Colt / Ruger = Couger )

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I’ve heard of them, never saw one though. Nice.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
What's the advantage gained by putting a python barrel on a Ruger Security Six?

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,244
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.