Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RMerta Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thinking of buying a Power XL air fryer. Any thoughts, recommendations or suggestions?
Any experience with air fryers?
Thanks
Randy

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought one for the family for Christmas, on a whim, and so far, its been a hit.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Don't buy Black and Decker brand. Was given one and was a total waste of time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
air fryers are convection ovens.

a heating element with a fan to circulate the air.

There is nothing wrong with the egg shaped ones, but if you look at table top traditional convection ovens like the Cuisinart, you may find you have more options to cook different types of food.

My mother has both kinds and she uses both of them regularly. For smaller items like a couple of chicken thighs she uses the egg shaped one similar to the PowerXL model. For larger items like a whole chicken or pork roast she uses the Cuisinart.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I bought one for the family for Christmas, nice simple easy to use model. Two knobs ,temperature and timer. Also very easy to clean and maintain They were marked down from 100.00 to 39.00 each at Best Buy. After the first day I went and bought my Father one, and my Daughter one. They have been a big hit and get used daily. The only complaint I have is the amount of certain foods they cook. We are a family of 4 adults, and while it makes excellent wings, turning out 9 jumbo wings every 20 minutes is a losing battle feeding my two boys. I have the 5 quart model. Where I use it a lot is making breakfast almost every day, I can put plenty of bacon for 3-4 people in it, and in 10 minute's, before the eggs are even done, the bacon basically cooks itself, and with no mess. I've also used it a couple times to make a 3-4 pound meatloaf, at 380 degrees it took about 20-25 minutes to cook.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Had one. After very little use, it would shut itself off after a few minutes. Got a fancier one a year or so ago. Again, we don't use it a great deal. Damned thing decided to do the shut itself off after a few minutes deal the other night.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bought one for my wife a while back, and she loves it. I don't see it being much different than cooking in the oven....french fries, corn dogs, chicken strips, frozen fried fish, poppers. Doesn't taste any different to me.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I bought a small cheap entry level air fryer just to see what all the hoopla was about. So far all I've cooked with it have been frozen french fries, onion rings, and breaded okra. Fries and onion rings turned out okay but although the okra cooked alright the breading crust on it didn't brown up like when deep frying. I suggest getting as high capacity air fryer as possible and also one that allows food to be spread out in a rectangle layer like a toaster oven allowing better air circulation. You can't load much in the smaller round ones without piling food on top of itself and then you have to flip it over and over and keep cooking until done. From what I can tell they work the same as convection ovens and grills do by circulating hot air around food.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I tried one at my daughter inlaws. It wouldn't even cook smores ok. What do you expect from 115VAC.

R
RMerta Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks guys! Lots of different view points here.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have one and used it for a short while then put it away

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Air frying"??? come on, you're pullin' my leg.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Stophel
"Air frying"??? come on, you're pullin' my leg.

Yeah, it's like air guitar, only different.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I bought one for the family for Christmas, on a whim, and so far, its been a hit.

ya here too. just had chicken in it.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought (traded some carpentry work for it, actually) a Pampered Chef one for the wife for Christmas. It cooks an excellent rotisserie chicken in exactly 45 minutes cooking time. Great no-mess grilled cheese in 4 minutes. So far we give it a thumbs up.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by KFWA
air fryers are convection ovens.

a heating element with a fan to circulate the air.

After doing some research and thinking about it, this is exactly what they are.

I eat very little fried foods anyway, so why would I want to eat more? I did some battered mushrooms in my convection oven and they turned out all right.

In the end, I’ve got better things to spend my money on.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
We use ours quite a bit for various things like Panko breaded zucchini and breaded Okra. The wife has been cooking chicken thighs at 400 and done in 18 minutes. The most moist chicken I’ve ever eaten and I’m not sure I’ll be going back to the oven.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Killer chicken wings, chicken breast, and hate to say it but pretty dang good steaks.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have one of the Black & Decker models, it works great and no issues. Pay more money for the fancy digital ones if you want. The airfyers are meant for a purpose, and what they do they will do well. They are not what an InstaPot is however.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We got one, use it occasionally. It's no magic cooker just another tool in the toolbox. I'm happy with the results it is fast

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,783
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.