Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Looking for suggestions in a 22 mag in a semi automatic rifle I know CZ makes one , Any other options out there? The TC22 is only in 22 Long rifle correct? And the Ruger 1022 22 mag was discontinued because of safety reasons correct?
Not that I need one but I want one LOL open to suggestions

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
It takes a lot of finesse to design a semi to extract a long thin case with that pressure.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Marlin 922m, no longer made but you should be able to find a used one. Numrich Arms has parts if needed, I had to replace the buffer in the one I owned. Kind of a neat little rifle.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Savage A22M is another option, along with older Remington 597s, the old Kodiaks, Volquartsens, Marlin 922s, etc.

I have a CZ 512M that is a pretty nice rifle, and it shoots pretty good, too. So far, it's been 100 percent reliable,. It isn't pretty, but I've seen worse.

You have to keep them spotlessly clean in the chamber areas, so they don't rip case-heads off, if you do that, they're reasonably reliable and some can be as accurate as a good boltgun. I can't really emphasize that enough, you have to keep them CLEAN. I really like my 512M, it's light, accurate, and handy. It shoots at least as well as an RAR I had, but extracts better.
The A22M Savage has a delayed blowback design that might be the way to go, though. It seems to hold the bolt closed long enough for the pressures to back down before trying to extract the cases.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I went thru several magnums before I found the one I'm keeping.Ruger,Remington,Kodiak and Marlin (almost kept this one)passed thru my hands and then I finally got the H&K 300 and IMO hands down the most accurate of them all and the best built.15 round mags are a nice feature also.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd buy a Savage A22, if it is anything like my A17. I've shot against guys using Volquartsen 22 magnum rifles and they can be a little on the finicky side. As the op stated Ruger had issues. Volquartsen, as you know, is just a glorified Ruger 10-22 magnum. A lot of companies have tried to make a reliable and safe semi auto 22magnum, but without much success. Look into the Savage A series, you might like them. I went with the laminated stock version, as the plastic stocked A rifle looks like garbage...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My BRNO shoots pretty well. They can be hard to find.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My magnum research hasn't been anything but great.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I would like to have a Marlin 922 but haven’t seen one in a while. The HKs are the best but premium price.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I thought that the Ruger 10/22 Magnum was discontinued for two reasons, they weren't selling in sufficient numbers and Ruger was concerned that people were rebarreling them into 17HMR and associated possibility of liability litigation.

I have or have had semi-autos in .22 MAG from Kodiak, Remington, and Ruger. The Kodiak 260 was just a poor design, basically the same as the Colt Colteer. The Remington 597 works fine, but it not the most accurate of rifles, better for calling 'cats at 25 yards than anything at 100 yards. The Ruger was the best of the three, but somebody valued it a lot more than me, so it went to a new home.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Volquartsen used to make one. Not sure if they still do. I owned one years ago. Very good rifle.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve had my Kodiak since 68 no problems with it. You must keep it clean. But I’ve heard a lot of guys had problems!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dale06
Volquartsen used to make one. Not sure if they still do. I owned one years ago. Very good rifle.

Yeah, beautiful expensive rifles. A guy at the club, I shoot against in golf ball shoots, uses one. His starts acting goofy after about 100 rounds. I don't know if it's just too dirty at that point or what? Great shooters though, for a semi auto 22 mag, if you can afford one... Also, by great shooters, the one at my club puts them into 1" at 50 yards. Not excellent by any means, but not bad for a semi auto 22 magnum. I know, guys everywhere have these and shoot 1/4" groups all day long. Until its time to prove it, then its 1+" groups at 50 yards. I love shooting against guys that say their rifles put them all in the x ring all day long. Sometimes they are dumb enough to lay money down...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Model 700 H&R .22 Mag

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have shot volquartsen 22 magnum and 17 HMR for between 13 and 15 years.

Volquartsen will be the only semi-auto rim fire magnum that I will purchase, in part, because:

Accuracy has run between 1/4 to 1/2 for 17 HMR and usually around 3/4 to 1" for 22 magnum.
Fantastic customer service
Plenty of replacement parts - springs and buffers- on their website
Very high quality machined and built
Lots of options such as barrels, contours, and stocks available for them.
Reliable
High cap magazine was made by Volquartsen - 25 rounder (if you can find them now)

I used to shoot the Bruno ZKM-611 and it was a nice gun. Sold it when they got high and went to Volquartsen rifles. Barrels on them were a bit light and thin for lots of shooting. Magazines for the Bruno got very expensive too.
Looked at Magnum Research when they came out but, best I remember, they had problems, so- we took them back.

I would venture the Sturm Ruger would be ecstatic to hear the Volquartsen's are glorified Rugers as Volquartsen's are a much better built and engineered.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
My BRNO shoots pretty well. They can be hard to find.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is the way to go. They are hard to find but worth it. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another Savage A22m vote here. The Magnum Research 22mag works as does the 10/22M. It was the 17HMR versions that had to be kept immaculate. The Savage can be run surprisingly dirty before it malfunctions, and those malfunctions will be safe.

R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I really appreciate accuracy, how accurate are the savage A22M ? I have little to no use for inaccurate rifles

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
H&K 300 bidding on gunbroker for less than 1K

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had one of those H&K 300’s... make sure you get the scope mount with it, and a couple mags with it and your are fine.

OR you can get a Savage A22 or A17, and replace the trigger, and stock and have the same thing.. mine’s pretty accurate after I put a boyds stock on it, and I messed with the trigger and got it decent so it went well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 2,064 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.