Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
So my neighbor shot a monster buck about five years ago that he never found. Stories had circulated about a monster being found on the neighboring property the following spring. Comes to it I was speaking with my neighbor and he found that the buck that was recovered is believed to be the one that he shot five years ago. Story has it that it could be a record book buck and, being in Iowa, that tells you that it was big. My neighbor is wondering if he has any claim to it so I posted on here. I promise it’s not mine, my luck at hunting is minimal and I told him he probably can’t do anything but he wanted me to ask anyway. So, anyone with any insight or opinions, please feel free to enlighten and opine about your take on the matter. I believe I’m right, but I told him I’d see what everyone thought. Thanks!

Steve

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Laws vary by state but I don't see this as any different than if he knew exactly where that buck was when it died. If it crossed a property line he didn't have permission to go onto, he's shït out of luck. I've heard some states (I have no idea about Iowa) will fine a landowner for not allowing someone to cross their land to recover a dead critter: if they know it is there....but that doesn't sound like the case here anyhow.

Based on your description, let alone the 5 year timeframe involved I see absolutely zero legal standing for your neighbor. Even less because it is "believed" to be the same buck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Correct, your friend has zero title to it.
Here in South Dakota the guy who found it doesn't have title to it, it's property of the state. People can and have been fined heavily for keeping dead heads they have found. I think it's meant to discourage poaching but it doesn't, and people still keep them when they find them. A big one like that though would get a lot of attention

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would think your neighbor is SOL. 1) I would think he would have to prove that he shot it. 2) he would have to prove that the deer he shot was the exact same deer that was found 3) waiting 5 years does not help a thing.
The fact that 5 years has passed and nothing has been said until it turns out "could be a record book deer" will only add fuel to the fire.

I had a $100 bill a few years back and lost it, I think the one you have in your wallet might be mine. How's about you give it to me and all will be fine.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the feedback. Exactly what I told him. He said he had a trail camera pic of it but I told him that still doesn’t prove he shot it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Outside of animals taken in season, we, in Oregon, can not pick up and retain antlered skulls. We can pick up naturally shed antlers. Intent was to prevent the incidental finding of trophies a day, week, or month after the season. Suggestions now are that it is wise to retain ones tags for all antlered skulls harvested for perpetuity, but I've not heard of much enforcement over that issue. It does come up though when some 21 year old gets busted and they find 20 some untagged trophy head/skulls on his premises.

As to the OP, no claim.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/12/21.

1Minute
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He has no legal or moral clam to it especially after 5 years. Just how would he prove that it was the same deer he lost?

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by MAC
He has no legal or moral clam to it especially after 5 years. Just how would he prove that it was the same deer he lost?

I don’t see him being able to prove anything and once an animal crosses a boundary, it’s game over unless the land owner gives you permission to pursue it. He just lost a good buck.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
If it’s on your property, it’s yours. How would you know it’s the same buck??

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
He is what I would call SOL.

In Mo we can ask the landowner and if he denies we can get the sheriff involved.

Supposedly the landowner is obligated to let you retrieve your critter. Dunno, never checked in on it much.

If we find an antlered skull we are supposed to get it checked by a conservation officer, and I personally know of one guy who the officer went with him to see the actual spot where the carcass of one buck was at.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Salvage tag for the found head and no claim for your neighbor.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
here, your friend has no claim to it. the guy who found it would have to pay PGC 10 dollars per point on the rack to keep it

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12
here, your friend has no claim to it. the guy who found it would have to pay PGC 10 dollars per point on the rack to keep it

Sounds like a rip off to me.

And if you dont pay what do they do w it, toss it in the trash?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In South Dakota, you have to have a deer tag for picked up antlers and I believe it has to be in season. But some of our laws are some of the screwiest in the nation. We even now have a season for hunting squirrels, can you believe that?

Last edited by Bugger; 02/09/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have been involved in this before it can be a real pain in the ass. but if the neighbor would be a man of honor he would have gave him those buck horns back.

Last edited by pete53; 02/09/21.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
710 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.