Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
S
Switch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Quak
Wssm cartridges have feeding issues. The original wsm owes its demise to the original creator Rick Jamison and his settlement with Olin over copyright infringement

Really? I've shot both and like the 284 a lot, so does Melvin Forbes, hand loading adds a lot!

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by boatanchor
To me the dog turd of the bunch is the 223WSSM, was a bad design from the get-go

But it turned out the rifle wouldn't group ANYTHING under about 3", so I sent it to Charlie Sisk for a rebarrel. He put on a faster-twist Lilja, and it shoots great. But he also noted that the barrel and action threads were so mis-matched that while unscrewing the factory barrel, it essentially came off within half a turn--which was probably the major cause of the poor accuracy. Hard to get a rifle to shoot when the barrel's essentially rattling around in the front of the action.

I bought a .300 Weatherby MK-V Euromark back in 1986. It was a beautiful rifle and shot fine at first, but after awhile the accuracy went to pot. I tried all of the conventional cures to no avail, so I had it rebarreled to .340 Wby. The gunsmith discovered that the threads on the old barrel were undersized or messed up in some way. The factory had used epoxy on the threads when they installed the barrel, and after a certain amount of shooting, the heat had caused the epoxy to crumble, at which point the barrel began to rattle around in the threads of the receiver, ruining accuracy. The rifle shot very well once a properly threaded barrel was installed.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 01/11/21.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have heard people say that the 22-250 is slowly starting to fade away.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have heard people say that the 22-250 is slowly starting to fade away.

I don't think that's true at all.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Wssm cartridges have feeding issues. The original wsm owes its demise to the original creator Rick Jamison and his settlement with Olin over copyright infringement

I don't know that I buy that. At one time the WSM's were chambered by pretty much everyone.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Switch
I had the same thoughts on the 7 MM WSM, thought it and the 7 mm SUAM where the bst of the bunch, but I must have been wrong, and yet the 280 AI is a home run!

In my opinion, "timing" is the answer. I really agree with the above. Notwithstanding all the moronic statements such as "answer to a question never asked" the 7MM Remington Magnum just had too great of a head start timewise. In my opinion, that is THE reason both the 7 SAUM and 7MM WSM never became more popular. I speculate that had the 7MM WSM been introduced in 1961 the 7MM Remington magnum would never have been invented/introduced.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Switch

I shoot the 300 Savage a lot in my 99's and a 700 Classic. I consider it to be a great 300 yard beer cartridge, which is about my self imposed limit. I works just fine.

Beer cartridge? As in, "I can make that shot. Hold my beer!"

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Bugger
The 6mm's are out selling the 243's on the internet!

I am guessing the 6 Creeds are outselling the 243, not the 6mm Rem. I always thought the 6mm rem was a superior cartridge to the 243, but it really shines in a long action. There is definitely a prejudice against long actions for some odd reason.

I am actually building a 6mm Rem right now. Just waiting on the barrel. It is a 7.5 twist and is going on a long action. I've had several 243's in my life, but for some reason they all seemed goofy with regards to pressure issues.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by boatanchor
To me the dog turd of the bunch is the 223WSSM, was a bad design from the get-go

I have a 223 WSSM and love it. I bought it new when they first came out.. never had any trouble with it in any way, it is the fastest moving bullet ever produced and will vaporize a Gopher.. most of you all like to run down something you never owned or shot.. just parroting other dumb azzes stupid opinions..

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
you can find 6 creedmoor and 224 valkyrie on the shelves here in sodak

but nary a 22-250 or 243.

plenty or 300 savage as well.

303 british is fairly scarce,

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BWalker

I don't know that I buy that. At one time the WSM's were chambered by pretty much everyone.

Yes but they were dropped like a hot potato when Jamison won a royalty payment for for each built WSM

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
8 x 57 is nearly gone. It's one of my favorites.
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Maybe a bunch have disappeared or diminished in factory rifles, but my internet ramblings seem to indicate that its a golden time for a lot of old-timey rounds, with brass and ammo available for stuff like the Remington rimless rounds and other orphans. Starline keeps expanding their offerings as well. With “regular” stuff is short supply, it might be a good time to futz around with an old-timer.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by yukon254
Originally Posted by pabucktail
When I read the title of this thread what immediately came to mind was the .250 and .300 Savages. Growing up in the 80's and 90's they were popular deer rounds. Not so much anymore. Seems the younger crowd doesn't care for 99s

Probably depends more on your location. The .250 has never been popular up here although I think it was farther north where they hunt a lot of seals. The .300 Savage on the other hand is still fairly popular up here especially with FN people. Even the big box stores usually carry .300 ammo and they dont stock ammunition that doesnt sell.

Agreed - I grew up in the same time period. Never heard of them till I got on the campfire. Know zero people in face to face life that own/hunt with them.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by BWalker

Yes but they were dropped like a hot potato when Jamison won a royalty payment for for each built WSM

Yep, Winchester and Browning decided to drop them quick after being told that they had violated 7 patents (not copyright) applied for and held by Jamison. Basically they were told they couldn’t STEAL his work without compensation. The whole thing is here.

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/us/5914b5f3add7b04934775e7e

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cartridges won't vanish if you have dies and a good supply of brass. Buy cases when you see them, not when you need them.

Do that and us loonies will keep them alive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You hardly see any 35 Winchester AI on the shelf anymore. cry

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have happily bought into several cartridges in danger of vanishing as factory offerings--284 win, 350 mag, 338 rcm, 35 whelen, etc. I immediately bought reserves of brass beyond what I will ever use, it turns out. I am not afraid of soon-to-be-invisible but interesting stuff.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by longbarrel
I have happily bought into several cartridges in danger of vanishing as factory offerings--284 win, 350 mag, 338 rcm, 35 whelen, etc. I immediately bought reserves of brass beyond what I will ever use, it turns out. I am not afraid of soon-to-be-invisible but interesting stuff.

The 35 Whelen is the most popular cartridge fir the Louisiana Primitive Weapon season

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

83 members (AGL4now, 35, 160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 14 invisible), 983 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,497
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.