Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Catching these spawning kokanee is addictive. They look so wicked-cool and different from most anything else I catch in Utah. These fish likely don't even get a nod from the guys that live near the coast, but for us inland fishermen these things are very unique!
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Is it Friday yet?
GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good sized fish.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That is an interesting looking fish, no doubt. Are they edible?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
There is a lake in far WNC near the TN border that is stocked with Kokanee. I've yet to fish it but feel if I do I may need to carry a gun! All kidding aside, that is an awesome catch.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're creepy for sure, but are nothing but a spawned out kokanee (or sockeye). At that stage they're pretty much mush but before they get that red they're just fine to eat. Some may still be depending on how long he's been like that.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by T_Inman
At that stage they're pretty much mush but before they get that red they're just fine to eat.

What do you mean by turning into mush? I know salmon die shortly after laying eggs but I don't know the effects on the meat(?) that has.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm not the least bit interested in eating them when they are spawning. Besides it's illegal to keep them in Utah during spawning season anyway. However in the summer, spring, and winter they make pretty decent table fare. However, I'm just a real big fan of most fresh water fish. I will say this though, the spawning Koke's are fun to catch and often provide a real decent fight if you catch them before they are too far gone spawning.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boomer454
At that stage they're pretty much mush but before they get that red they're just fine to eat.

What do you mean by turning into mush? I know salmon die shortly after laying eggs but I don't know the effects on the meat(?) that has.

They're basically rotted but still "alive" for a short time period, the way I understand it.
I've smelled spawned out salmon when they're still alive and it isn't pretty. The OP seems to be able to hold that fish without puking, so it may still be a few days or a week from dying, and might still be OK to eat. I doubt it though. They're pretty bad when they get that red.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks. So it really is a "Zombie" fish then laugh

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I raised sockeyes for 5 years. Soon after they enter the river they stop eating. Their body starts using itself to provide energy to reach the spawning grounds. The fish might not enter the river but the same thing happens to them. Happens to kings in lake ontario too. If they are blush sometimes they are still ok. The meat will start to pale on the tail end first.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boomer454

I have seen Kokanee spawn in Colorado, no other salmon.

You see the shows where they diddle and die.
If only it were that nice.
Basically, they got to death.
You see them swimming with fins coming off,
strips of their skin streaming behind them until it tears free.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was keyed up to snag some soon,,,but our idiot governor decided to shut down the state parks again to save us all from the COVID.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Salmon withdraw near every nutrient possible from their bodies committing them to their eggs and/or sperm and the energy needed for spawning efforts. Once depleted and near death, if one squeezes their flesh, it flows between ones fingers about like apple sauce. Even pre-spawn their flesh is not the most desirable.

When I used to fish the Oregon coast one would see folks retaining such with comments that they'd be good smokers. Garbage in = garbage out.

1Minute
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hell that's a nice one Troy!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As a rule of thumb with salmon; if you press on their back, and they’re firm, they are edible. If you press and they are mushy, toss em back.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful fish, what a great catch and fantastic picture.

My rule with salmon: if it's a salmon, throw it back.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My rule with salmon: if it's a salmon, throw it back and head west another 40 miles to the tuna grounds!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've seen Kokanee Salmon spawning runs in the Blue and Dolores Rivers in CO. The number of fish and the colors of the fish in confined water is amazing to me because it is so different than anything that I grew up with. Funny thing is that very few people seem to fish for Kokanees in the reservoirs on those two rivers that they live in when they aren't spawning.

I don't care for eating trout or salmon, too many small/fine bones for my taste, but they are all fun to catch and release.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the salmon are large enough, their steaks are very easy to separate from the bones.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've seen Kokanee spawning in smallish streams in Northern California (Shasta County Whiskeytown Reservoir and Juniper Lake in Mt.Lassen NP) that had turned the entire mouth of the stream where it entered the lake blood red! Literally "couldn't believe my eyes" until a local boy told me what they were.

They look dangerous but the real danger is all the bears that show up to fish for 'em!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 64 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.