Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Outside of the fox hound lines that seem to have the catch kill drive breed out of them by the pen hunters has anyone seen a breed that could be cut in on a hot track and have the speed and grit to take down a fox or big coyote? I know a guy that has a blue heeler that does it but was curious to see if there are any others

Jonathan Henson
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guys around here use Greyhounds.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Yea I looked into the sight hounds but they don't seem to do really good in heavy brush and timber

Jonathan Henson
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Guys here also use greyhounds, they cruise backroads early hoping to catch coyotes out in open crop fields.

Kid down the street has a Patterdale terrier thatโ€™s a decoy dog. Heโ€™ll catch an maul the schiet out of coons, possums, and the like but I donโ€™t think he actually catches coyotes.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Yeah I would not think so for one that small. So far the only two I have come across is the blue heeler and a lady I heard about that taking rideg back hounds and x them with one of the German pointers

Jonathan Henson
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no doubt my Airdale or my buds would have no issue w killing a coyote but have no idea how they would do on running/catching a coyote.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
That what I was thinking no question they have the power it just if they have the speed that seem to be the question

Jonathan Henson
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by jonboy900
Yea I looked into the sight hounds but they don't seem to do really good in heavy brush and timber

Nothing is going to catch a coyote in heavy timber, and brush, and very few are going to do it in the open.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Guys around here use Greyhounds.

In Oklahoma & TX they use greyhounds. They'll have catchers and killers.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
they are great in the open country for sure. but looks like for areas ike ours some of the high prey drive curs and bigger cow dogs are the best bet

Jonathan Henson
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jonboy900
they are great in the open country for sure. but looks like for areas ike ours some of the high prey drive curs and bigger cow dogs are the best bet

Yeah, I've seen greyhounds get tangled up in a barbed wire fence at full speed. Not a good thing. Great for open country like the big wheat fields in the SW part of OK but not for wooded or broken woods areas.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evnin gang. We tried that up here in Cunuckistan. Called Lerchers? Only happens in open fields & it better be a big one. Coyotes up here seem to only run as fast as they need to. Some will stay just ahead of the hounds as much as feels safe to them. When training pups I've seen them stop and wait for a while. You know when ya see them going out in front of the hounds and ya think he's going fast, miss on the first shot and watch them go up one gear. Was fun with the catch dogs for awhile but we got a lot less shooting and that's the fun in it for me. Hound guys are just a wee bit different. I saw one fast hound once that caught a couple, seen him gain on a yote going across a big field once real quick headed for a fence half way across. When they got to the fence the yote dropped one shoulder twisted and dove through the fence his front legs pulled his ass through and he was gone. Only took the hound a few seconds to go through to but in that short span the yote gained about 50 to 75yds. He was a pen dog and would stop barking when he got close to the yote to save his breath. Not good when he's way faster than the rest of the dogs and sometimes 500yds ahead. We sold him and went bag to good old trailing hounds. More fun more shooting, oh and saving deer. (Not my dogs) I ran some hounds before tracking collars but worried too much when they were late, or lost over night!!! Burnt a lot of gas driving around with binoculars till dark. Nerves wouldn't take it. Let someone else run their dogs. Bill out. ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘ฃ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘ฃ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by GWPGUY
Evnin gang. We tried that up here in Cunuckistan. Called Lerchers? Only happens in open fields & it better be a big one. Coyotes up here seem to only run as fast as they need to. Some will stay just ahead of the hounds as much as feels safe to them. When training pups I've seen them stop and wait for a while. You know when ya see them going out in front of the hounds and ya think he's going fast, miss on the first shot and watch them go up one gear. Was fun with the catch dogs for awhile but we got a lot less shooting and that's the fun in it for me. Hound guys are just a wee bit different. I saw one fast hound once that caught a couple, seen him gain on a yote going across a big field once real quick headed for a fence half way across. When they got to the fence the yote dropped one shoulder twisted and dove through the fence his front legs pulled his ass through and he was gone. Only took the hound a few seconds to go through to but in that short span the yote gained about 50 to 75yds. He was a pen dog and would stop barking when he got close to the yote to save his breath. Not good when he's way faster than the rest of the dogs and sometimes 500yds ahead. We sold him and went bag to good old trailing hounds. More fun more shooting, oh and saving deer. (Not my dogs) I ran some hounds before tracking collars but worried too much when they were late, or lost over night!!! Burnt a lot of gas driving around with binoculars till dark. Nerves wouldn't take it. Let someone else run their dogs. Bill out. ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘ฃ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘ฃ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

have the pen hunters bred the catch kill drive out of them up your way or do the old farmers and ranchers keep some mixed up kill dogs to protect their livestoock? my grandmother was from ontorio and she showed me her grandpa writtings about all the ranchers and farmers would turn out for a wolf hunt and almoste everone had a few dogs to throw in

Jonathan Henson
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I own a 1/2 Airedale and 1/2 stag hound (think large fuzzy greyhound). Her father is a full stag hound and the owner has them as run down dogs I guess you would call it.

Wide open fields in the midwest here and fully sight hunting.

My dog will "play bite" with her brother at the back of his neck when they are tearing across our yard at full tilt...I can see how her dad would snag a coyote by the back of the neck and snap it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,314
Posts18,468,326
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.