-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone carry a Ruger 101 in a chest carry holster. Any recommendations? Thank you

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't specifically carry an SP101 but the Hill People Gear Kit bag is Good for this application.

I use mine for various handguns from Glock 19s, Glock 30S, to N Frame 44s and 1911s.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Helikon Tex is another company that makes chest rigs similar to the HPG kit bags. I have one of theirs without the Molle webbing on the front. It is a good product and less expensive.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hill People Gear works well.

I use one for trail running with a S&W M&P 4" 2.0 compact and a reload.

I have a grey runners one that doesn't look tactical.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Diamond D is by far the best

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

El Paso tanker

Alaris tactical

Hill people Recon kit bag

The recon kit bag is by far my favorite for both comfort and utility

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I don't specifically carry an SP101 but the Hill People Gear Kit bag is Good for this application.

I use mine for various handguns from Glock 19s, Glock 30S, to N Frame 44s and 1911s.

Helikon Tex is another company that makes chest rigs similar to the HPG kit bags. I have one of theirs without the Molle webbing on the front. It is a good product and less expensive.

Mackay,
I've got a Recon kit bag as well. Have wondered how comfortable having a revolver in it is. Does the cylinder give you a hot spot on your chest at all? I've only carried a Glock in mine.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have never had it be a problem and I have carried mine for some long treks. That said, my 5" N frame is maxed out size wise in the bag. A 4" is better. They really work well for 329 scandium guns. Obviously autos work very well.

I use an auto in mine more than revolvers for a multitude of reasons. One being weight. The other is limited ammo capacity. Due to the fact that wolves are abundant I would rather have more rounds than just 6 in the initial payload. Either is fine really but a compact plastic .45 like the G30S is extremely practical for the role.

I do tend to carry my revolvers in an El Paso Saddlery Tanker holster quite often when I want to carry a big revolver in cooler weather and have fast access.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the quick reply. I run with mine, so usually only have one, maybe 2 layers and even with a G43 I get a little sore spot on my sternum. I've gotten used to it with use. With more layers I suppose it's a non-issue. I'm with you on carrying an auto, if I'm out in the woods a G29 rides with me.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I’ll mention Alien Gear.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by ryoushi
Thanks for the quick reply. I run with mine, so usually only have one, maybe 2 layers and even with a G43 I get a little sore spot on my sternum. I've gotten used to it with use. With more layers I suppose it's a non-issue. I'm with you on carrying an auto, if I'm out in the woods a G29 rides with me.

If I was running I definitely would opt for a flat auto. I pay attention to weight when I am going to hike into some backcountry areas or have some steeper stuff to climb. That is when the G30S is chosen. lighter knife, headlamp etc.

Speaking of weights, The G30S is pretty optimal in terms of weight and capacity. I will start a thread on some weights that some might find of interest.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The wife got me one of the Diamond D nylon holsters for Christmas. To anyone considering one of those, avoid them. My new holster is like an extra bulky version of an uncle mike's nylon job. The retention strap is poorly designed, I'll explain: The strap is anchored by velcro inside the holster, comes out to go around the hammer or frame, and snaps in front. There is no retention with this holster aside from the strap. There's no way to do anything fast with this holster. You cannot quickly and easily break retention while simultaneously establishing a good grip. You have to break the snap, move the strap, then establish your grip. Not only terrifically slow, it's dangerous as one cannot re-holster one handed. That is, you have to use your left hand to clear the strap in order for the gun to go back into the holster. Otherwise, the strap bunches up as the gun goes in and you have to remove the gun and fiddle with the strap to get it lined up. So one is left with the choice of either trying to re-holster one handed and the possibility of the in-the-way strap snagging on the trigger and causing an ND, or muzzling your support hand as you move the strap out of the way.

Pretty disappointing since I've been impressed with Diamond D's leather offerings.

The good news is the harness system on the nylon holster is pretty skookum. I've discovered that a Simply Rugged crossdraw holster rigged with the Diamond D harness is a great set up! Diamond D won't sell just the harness alone, so now I'm ordering the materials to make my own for the other Simply Ruggeds I have.

O
O
1Longbow,

Have you seen Simply Rugged's sourdough pancake with their chesty puller harness? I got one recently for my 3" SP101 that seems like it will work out well. I've worn the holster on several hikes but have yet to utilize the chesty puller harness. I'll post a pic if I can figure out how.

One Holer

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The HPG Snubby Bag is good for guns up to and including G19/P239 size, if you want to got a little smaller.

O
O
Here's my Simply Rugged Silver Dollar sourdough pancake holster for my Ruger SP101 with their chesty puller harness.[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/15648538/one-holers-gallery[/img]

O
O
Simply Rugged

Attached Images
Simply Rugged Silver Dollar 2.jpg (35.55 KB, 152 downloads)
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Holy riggings Cowboy!

At what point does that stop being a holster and start being a saddle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I bought one of these for my 1911. Nice that you can add just the holster for various guns.

http://hoskingholsters.com/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use the Hill People Gear Kit bag, as well.

I have a sleeve inside mine, so it takes all large revolvers or pistols, with or without lasers/lights.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Western Images Leather Works, Prob. just like Diamond D, but this guy is in CO. and a lot cheaper. I have three and I wear one every day on Ranch while I work, they don.t get in the way. I also carry my 110 buck in his knife holder..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 48 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,721
Posts18,457,266
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.