Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Just went through this in November. My power company Nevada Energy has been toying with shutting off the power during Red Flag days ala PG&E.

I'm already on propane so I just needed to upgrade the pipelines and buy tanks, regulators and accessories. It really helped being retired from a propane company that sold all of the above at cost.

I consulted with my old boss who's been setting up generators nonstop since the Camp Fire in Paradise a couple of years ago. He suggested going big and water cooled rather than air cooled and smaller as the smaller rigs run at closer to a full load and as such had higher failure rates.

Ended up getting a 32KW Generac 4 cylinder turbo charged after cooled model. So far loving it and it's way quieter than my folks new 22KW v-twin air cooled Generac. Mine shouldn't ever run above 1/2 load except when I have mini splits installed as a backup heat source if my boiler fails.

When I researched fuel loads the bigger gen was within 1 to 2 tenths of gallon per hour than my folks smaller generator and runs at half the rpm's and way quieter. The extended service schedule of the water cooled is icing on the cake.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
What does a big water cooled setup like that cost?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by slumlord
Propane

Nat gas is grid dependent, outages, repairs, backhoe joe diggin into 3 miles up the road. Etc

If youre sitting on a 500 gallon tank of propane, youre set for a while.

How quaint.

500 gallons is almost some propane.

If all your running is generator .

Jim , do you have any tractors that run on LP ?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you must pick one, go with propane, as it is not dependent on a third party provider like natural, that’s of course if you install a BIG tank.

Mine is both natural and propane, although I am only hooked up to my propane tank at the moment.

If your whole house is electric, install another auxiliary propane powered heat source as well.

Maybe even get rid of the electric range and go propane.

Then bury a monster tank underground and keep it full. 1000 gal minimum

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
What's the best Propane ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Propane

Nat gas is grid dependent, outages, repairs, backhoe joe diggin into 3 miles up the road. Etc

How quaint.

Is the guy trying to do the Ted Kuscinski hermit thing or just wanting a home genset for that once a year ice storm?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
off grid solar works great, if you can maintain your batteries, and source new ones when necessary. It helps to have a generator on hand as well, because you won't always have adequate sunshine.

Sam......

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

It was spendy. All in was about 22K. The gen was 12K and the two 500 gal tanks with two pipelines four regulators and hogtails ect was 3K. The rest was permits and two concrete slabs along with two transfer switches for 200 amp service and three electricians for a day. Also in that is tool rental for a jackhammer and trencher. That part sucked. One portion of the pipeline to the house I hit an 18' stretch the was solid granite-kicked my old ass but got her done.

Could've saved a couple of grand going naturally aspirated with the motor but at almost 5400' elevation was concerned about deration and using more fuel.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My northern MN place is totally off grid. Unless I missed it above the OP is a bit ahead of things. The first step is to go thru your entire place and make a list of everything that requires electricity and how much per day it draws. Everything. That will dictate power sources needed.
Once you have that plus add in a bit extra you’ll know how many batteries needed, how many solar screens needed and what size the screens are.
I run on 10 batteries, 2 380 watt screens, and a large Honda generator when needed. I have not needed the generator yet for regular use, I do use it to run welders etc.
I also run propane but only for the stove, fridge, and backup lighting if needed ( hasn’t happened ).
Propane is a “wet” fuel so I do not run any machinery with it.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JLimbo

It was spendy. All in was about 22K. The gen was 12K and the two 500 gal tanks with two pipelines four regulators and hogtails ect was 3K. The rest was permits and two concrete slabs along with two transfer switches for 200 amp service and three electricians for a day. Also in that is tool rental for a jackhammer and trencher. That part sucked. One portion of the pipeline to the house I hit an 18' stretch the was solid granite-kicked my old ass but got her done.

Could've saved a couple of grand going naturally aspirated with the motor but at almost 5400' elevation was concerned about deration and using more fuel.

Thank you for your detailed response. You definitely have a great setup. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Permits for concrete slabs? Wtf

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JLimbo

Dang, that’s getting close to a whole house solar setup. I played with it just for fun last year, and a Tesla roof with power wall was about 30 K, new construction, if memory serves. But then you don’t have much of a power bill at all anymore.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Im leaning towards propane generator

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
These guys have an interesting assortment of generators - all types of fuel and sizes:

http://www.centralmainediesel.com/propane-generators.asp

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
Propane

How quaint.

If all your running is generator .

Jim , do you have any tractors that run on LP ?

No. Everything is gas or diesel.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Propane

How quaint.

Is the guy trying to do the Ted Kuscinski hermit thing or just wanting a home genset for that once a year ice storm?

When he said "off the grid" I kinda figured a Unibomber scenario.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Permits for concrete slabs? Wtf

Technically yes but was overlooked by the inspectors. Permits for the underground gas lines and the underground electric and then above ground electric which includes the transfer switches and at last Truckee Meadows Fire protection district inspection. She really only needed to see that I had a gas shutoff, theres two and a emergency gen shutoff. Again there's two. Didn't mind at all, she is really cute.

And as for permits realize I'm only maybe 18 miles from Cali and these Nevada twats have taken fees and permits to a level not even seen in Cali. Nevada having no income tax squeezes you in every other way.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by IA_fog
Ok so with everything happening I’m seriously considering a whole home generator for backup power needs
What fuel source do you guys recommend?
I have natural gas on site
Do I go natural propane or diesel?
Pros or cons
If I sell and move could take this but new home sight would only be propane or diesel
Could sell with the home
Also looking at a small solar off grid recharging station. Something to keep all my cordless batteries recgarhded and my trolling motors
What are some affordable options there

I lived off grid about 14 years. Solar and wind. I ran a 10kw propane gen with a 1000 gal tank. My cooking Stove and heating stove, hot water heater, dryer were all propane too. If living there full time I would definitely do propane.

I kept a gas powered 6k harbor freight predator gen as a back up. I ran my well pump with an 8 k Honda gas gen to a 1500 gal gravity fed water cistern above my log home sitting on a small mountain. Worked well

Last edited by ribka; 01/12/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
I think they told me natural gas is more efficient , but I already had a 500 gallon propane tank from my friendly local gas company ..

Also consider that natural gas lines can be ruptured in an earthquake .
the electrical grid is more efficient than a generator but....you need reliable more than efficient.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
And obviously fill up the tank in end of AUG OR Sept which typically are the lowest price for propane

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,506
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.