Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Eat faster.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I may try a jar in salt. Thanks for that.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
As long as you dried it below 125 it should be golden.
I keep mine in gallon freezer Ziploc bags.
But I live with velociraptors so "long term" usually mean the 10 gallons I have might last to May.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The botulinum bacteria are anaerobic. They can't grow in the presence of oxygen. It grows in improperly canned stuff where O2 is sealed out.
One of the major bacteria inhibitors for dried meat is sodium nitrite (nitrite, with an I). Look for it on whatever cure you use.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Another option is freeze drying.
Check out the Harvest Right freeze dryer.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You know most people like their jerky just slightly moist. Problem with that is it gets ate like candy or peanuts and is gone in 2 days
.. I like to dehydrate mine 6-8 hrs. Yeah it's like brittle card board but does the same as it's original purpose instead of by the handful snack food. Drying that far increases shelf life and decreases mold problems. Just saying....

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 01/10/21.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by high_country_
Don't confuse what I'm considering with canning. I'm thinking:

take dry jerky and drop it in a 250* jar and set a lid. When it cools, it should be under vacuum unless the temp comes up over 250.

It's worked for my morel stash.....but I've never tried jerky.

Haven’t done it, but that appears to be reasonably feasible, and worth a try.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The botulinum bacteria are anaerobic. They can't grow in the presence of oxygen. It grows in improperly canned stuff where O2 is sealed out.
One of the major bacteria inhibitors for dried meat is sodium nitrite (nitrite, with an I). Look for it on whatever cure you use.

I made my own cure and yes I used Prague #1.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

This is true, any environment with high oil, moisture and anaerobic and botulin spores present is a potentially deadly combination. Sodium nitrite DOES inhibit the growth of the botulin-producing bacteria, but sodium nitrite itself is almost certainly a pretty potent carcinogen. That said, it is still very widely used in cured meats like ham, hot dogs, salame, smoked salmon, etc.

If you vacuum pack and don't want to use sodium nitrite, refrigeration and freezing offer adequate protection from botulism.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Dutch

This is true, any environment with high oil, moisture and anaerobic and botulin spores present is a potentially deadly combination. Sodium nitrite DOES inhibit the growth of the botulin-producing bacteria, but sodium nitrite itself is almost certainly a pretty potent carcinogen. That said, it is still very widely used in cured meats like ham, hot dogs, salame, smoked salmon, etc.

If you vacuum pack and don't want to use sodium nitrite, refrigeration and freezing offer adequate protection from botulism.

No offense Dutch but wasn’t the original point a question on how to store without freezing?

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
You know most people like their jerky just slightly moist. Problem with that is it gets ate like candy or peanuts and is gone in 2 days
.. I like to dehydrate mine 6-8 hrs. Yeah it's like brittle card board but does the same as it's original purpose instead of by the handful snack food. Drying that far increases shelf life and decreases mold problems. Just saying....

This^^^

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Botulism isn’t mold. Two different things requiring two different procedures to keep at bay.

Mold requires oxygen, moisture, and food in the proper temp range. The drier you go, the less likely for mold, but you’ll never get it dry enough to keep it totally gone. Vacuum packing will remove a lot of the oxygen, but again, never all of it.

Most of the commercially bought jerky will have been packaged in a gas flush packaging machine, where CO2 and/or N2 (I’m guessing CO2 for jerky) is used to purge the foil tube in the packaging step. This pushes the air (containing the O2) out. Now the package contents are inert and the mold won’t grow. Even a microscopic hole that is only detectable by throwing the package in a tank and pulling 15-20 inches of hG is enough to let the O2 back in. A machine to package this is $100k+, lots more + for what I have experience in.

Remove as much moisture. Remove as much oxygen. That’s all you can do. There is mold in the sir all around us. Throwing the jerky in a hot jar and letting it cool and pull a vacuum won’t remove the mold spores or the oxygen for it to grow. (I say that with ALMOST full confidence).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Freshly made jerky is far better than old rancid stuff... I realize your issue is making room in the freezer, but I would eat it up and make more as you need it...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cheesy said what I was going to. I'll only add the following.

IF you can find a nitrogen source, then I would use that with small individual packages that you will use in a reasonable amount of time.
The other way that is used is with oxygen absorbers.
I can't speak from experience, but can give a link to the LDS YouTube channel that should cover that IF you promise to Not convert to mormanism.

Seal with mylar or commercial vacuum bags or the porous thin plastic bag will fail.

Dehydrate as completely as possible on a day with low humidity in your work space.

Add extra salt that has been likewise dehydrated.
The excess can be brushed off before eating.

There's websites on shelf life. I can't speak to that if you aren't going to freeze it.

I've dehydrated veggies and kept them tasty in glass canning jars for 5 years with only some decrease in flavor. They stayed crispy dry and weren't vacuum sealed. Your meat will keep a long time since the fat will be removed. Not as long as fruit and veggies.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 01/12/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Botulism isn’t mold. Two different things requiring two different procedures to keep at bay.

Mold requires oxygen, moisture, and food in the proper temp range. The drier you go, the less likely for mold, but you’ll never get it dry enough to keep it totally gone. Vacuum packing will remove a lot of the oxygen, but again, never all of it.

Most of the commercially bought jerky will have been packaged in a gas flush packaging machine, where CO2 and/or N2 (I’m guessing CO2 for jerky) is used to purge the foil tube in the packaging step. This pushes the air (containing the O2) out. Now the package contents are inert and the mold won’t grow. Even a microscopic hole that is only detectable by throwing the package in a tank and pulling 15-20 inches of hG is enough to let the O2 back in. A machine to package this is $100k+, lots more + for what I have experience in.

Remove as much moisture. Remove as much oxygen. That’s all you can do. There is mold in the sir all around us. Throwing the jerky in a hot jar and letting it cool and pull a vacuum won’t remove the mold spores or the oxygen for it to grow. (I say that with ALMOST full confidence).

All well and good, but low oxygen environment plus any kind of moisture and fat leads to the risk of botulism without preservatives or refrigeration.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can buy a small freezer pretty cheap. Itll hold a lifetime supply of peas.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by Cheesy

All well and good, but low oxygen environment plus any kind of moisture and fat leads to the risk of botulism without preservatives or refrigeration.

You’re correct, for some reason I was focused on mold and not overall food safety.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Vacuum seal ....either bags or jars.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 970 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,644
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.