Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Lee Enfield No4 Mk1.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

As far as capacity and ruggedness I'd agree. Speed and accuracy would fall to the straight bolt Mauser 98.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How many rounds do you think those WW I battle rifles actually fired before they got sent back to the armory?

Going back to the armory for failure from overuse, probably almost none. Simply because they didn't get fired that much. Going back because the soldier was dead or seriously injured, a good bit. The highest battle casualty rate was caused by artillery fire. Seconded by machine gun fire. Direct rifle fire, not all that much.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Lee Enfield No4 Mk1.

As far as capacity and ruggedness I'd agree. Speed and accuracy would fall to the straight bolt Mauser 98.

A Lee Enfield can be fired *much* faster than a 98. Lee Enfields are also plenty accurate.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I wouldn’t use any modern bolt action designed to fire, maybe two or three thousand rounds in a lifetime over an actual battle rifle designed to be used and abused by an 18 year old soldier firing hundreds of rounds in a single day.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever read. Many of us put hundreds of rounds per day through modern rifles, until the bore is worn out. Then you rebarrel and do it again.

The steel used in the action and barrels of today's rifles is far superior to that of 100 or 80 years ago.

If you want a modern rifle to last like an Enfield Mk III, load your ammo to 1930 303 British pressure levels.

Mannlicher-Schoenauer. Yes what a sweet little rifle. Effective on a 19'th century battle field.

I had a 6.5x54 in the closet, 160 gr RN at 2200 fps. 30-30 equivalent. I was hoping to find an application for that beautiful rotary mag. But a burglar got away with the rifle in 1984. He was probably disappointed to pack it all the way to Mexico, only to find it was worth about 50 cents as scrap iron.

Yes, but you are clearly full of schit and a semi high functioning retard.

So, that only leaves me with four times your intelligence and ten times your experience.

How many rounds do you think those WW I battle rifles actually fired before they got sent back to the armory?

How many modern rifles have YOU managed to wear out or break?

Yawn....why don’t you brag on your IQ some more...lol

Ain't bragging. IQ is about 100 maybe a bit above.

Am feeling the pity for your misfortune. Do you need help tying your shoelaces? Or have you switched to Velcro tennis shoes.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

Going back to the armory for failure from overuse, probably almost none. Simply because they didn't get fired that much. Going back because the soldier was dead or seriously injured, a good bit. The highest battle casualty rate was caused by artillery fire. Seconded by machine gun fire. Direct rifle fire, not all that much.

I read many years (1978?) ago (I think in Sierra #3) that the bore of an 03 was good for about ten thousand rounds with the anemic loads used by infantry.

Machine gun rounds were reputedly more powerful.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I have a beautiful one and its for sale at Sportsmanslegacy.com. You are 100% correct it is a very smooth action indeed, maybe even as fast as the SMLEs, but they only hold five rounds to the Enfield's ten and in one minute, no way a Mannlicher or ANY OTHER bolt rifle can come close to 38 rounds/minute.

The mad minute videos are flat stupid.

And not realistic.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I read many years (1978?) ago (I think in Sierra #3) that the bore of an 03 was good for about ten thousand rounds with the anemic loads used by infantry.

Machine gun rounds were reputedly more powerful.

Have I ever shown you guys my bayonet?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lee Enfield No4 Mk1.

A Lee Enfield can be fired *much* faster than a 98. Lee Enfields are also plenty accurate.

Actually I said the straight bolt. That is operated with an open hand and the hook of the thumb, you never actually grasp it. When they bent it on the Mauser they also cut a notch in the stock to facilitate the hook of the finger under the bolt. Bent bolts are better for defensive shooting, position shooting, because they are easier to keep on target. Note that with a bent bolt the hand has to go in two directions, up and then to the rear. With a straight bolt it's more swept in an arc.

In the case of the Enfield the bolt is farther back. When the hand comes off the trigger it more naturally hooks the bolt. It again becomes more of an arc, which is more of a natural hand motion than going in two directions.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Actually I said the straight bolt. That is operated with an open hand and the hook of the thumb, you never actually grasp it. When they bent it on the Mauser they also cut a notch in the stock to facilitate the hook of the finger under the bolt. Bent bolts are better for defensive shooting, position shooting, because they are easier to keep on target. Note that with a bent bolt the hand has to go in two directions, up and then to the rear. With a straight bolt it's more swept in an arc.

In the case of the Enfield the bolt is farther back. When the hand comes off the trigger it more naturally hooks the bolt. It again becomes more of an arc, which is more of a natural hand motion than going in two directions.

Yeah I'm sure you're a real menace with the old bolt guns.

LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another vote for #4 Mk 1 Lee-Enfield. Very handy bolt gun when multiple shots come into play. I like mine but my old Lee-Enfield #1 Mk III was a little faster but the sights weren't as nice as the #4's rear peep sight for older eyes; but then, those guns weren't designed for old farts. Sold my #1 Mk III over a year ago and regret it. The #4 isn't going anyplace any time soon unless its to my son if I croak early.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lee Enfield No4 Mk1.

The latter ones such as the one pictured are VERY accurate.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave

I have a beautiful one and its for sale at Sportsmanslegacy.com. You are 100% correct it is a very smooth action indeed, maybe even as fast as the SMLEs, but they only hold five rounds to the Enfield's ten and in one minute, no way a Mannlicher or ANY OTHER bolt rifle can come close to 38 rounds/minute.

The mad minute videos are flat stupid.

And not realistic.

You'd be wrong. The 38 rounds/minute was actually performed by a British Army instructor and not some U tuber. If you look at the video I posted, it tries to copy the drill, which was performed at 300 yards... It's educational...and realistic...

Another, albeit slower..

Last edited by jorgeI; 01/12/21.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You'd be wrong. The 38 rounds/minute was actually performed by a British Army instructor and not some U tuber. If you look at the video I posted, it tries to copy the drill, which was performed at 300 yards... It's educational...and realistic...

He's not shooting full house ammo.

And to claim that every Brit was achieving that skill level on their way to the front is flat fugking ridiculous.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave

He's not shooting full house ammo.

And to claim that every Brit was achieving that skill level on their way to the front is flat fugking ridiculous.

The British Instructor was and the fact that ONE instructor could do it is NOT the standard of course, but the fact remains even amateurs are achieving 30 rounds/minute with full patch loads and that can never be achieved by an 03 or a 98. Lastly, the ones on the receiving end, the Germans validated their uncanny rates of fire. READ the Guns Of August for starters.

Last edited by jorgeI; 01/12/21.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lee Enfield No4 Mk1.

That looks like an Irish Contract rifle. I had two I paid $160 for. Bought them in 1994, sold them in 2017. $1250 each. Never fired, still in the wrappers with cosmoline.

Last edited by Armednfree; 01/12/21.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lee Enfield No4 Mk1.

That looks like an Irish Contract rifle. I had two I paid $160 for. Bought them in 1994, sold them in 2017. $1250 each. Never fired, still in the wrappers with cosmoline.

It is. I had two, sold one..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What did you get out of it?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don’t even know how the rate of fire for the SMLE is under debate. It’s well known that it had by far the highest rate of fire for bolt action rifles. The British carried it until the late 1950s and early 60s. Early in the war the Germans thought they were under machine gun fire when it was nothing but SMLE armed infantry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nobody mentioned the M1917 Enfield yet. Damn fine rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old adage goes as follows:

"Springfield is the target rifle"

"Mauser is the hunting rifle"

"Enfield is the battle rifle"

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
260 members (1minute, 45_100, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 42 invisible), 2,169 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.