Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by Clarkm
All I get at Breitbart is

Hold on, this is waiting to be approved by Breitbart News Network.
What, are Prog Trolls hitting it?

BB thinks I am a conservative troll for calling Megyn McCain a pig.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sponxx, indeed it is not only possible but not too difficult. You will in the process lose everything on the hard drive, however. If the laptop is running at all, move all your photos and documents to an outside drive - either large capacity USB sticks or an external drive (you can get terabyte drives now for under $100) before you make any change to the OS. Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll attach my article on how to change to Linux Mint.

Here's an offer: to anyone who would like to try Linux Mint, I will send you a USB stick you can plug into your machine and see what Mint has to offer without changing one single thing on your machine. Mint will run from the stick itself. If you then decide you want to become a convert, you can let the stick install Mint on your machine. Or just PM me to get the article and make a Mint stick for yourself.

Edit: Once you learn how to make a bootable USB stick, you can try any of the many flavors of Linux besides Mint. Some I recommend are Feren (comes with eight browsers!), Zorin, Enso, and MX. Some are simpler, some have more features and included program packages, and some are more visually stunning. But they are all free and reliable.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 01/13/21.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
First post in Brave.
Easy to change

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
all of this computer transition stuff is liable to give me a conniption

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We are set upon from all quarters.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sponxx
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
To backup and/or export in Firefox...

Got to Library, then Bookmarks.

Now go to the bottom of the box and click on Show All Bookmarks

In the toolbar, click on Import and Backup

Now select either Backup or Export as HTML, pick a place to store it, and click Save.

(Backup file may only be readable by FF, an HTML file ought to be readable by other browsers. Best to save both file types.)

Rocky, I have collected 3 laptops that have overtime have become obsolete/too slow/ but still have some data, especially pictures in their HDs. One received the death blow when "upgrading" to Windows 10

I know you replaced windows with other OS (can't find the posts), is it possible to make those laptops usable again (nothing wrong except taking ages to boot and load programs).

Thanks

The answer is "it depends". I have an IBM Thinkpad T42 laptop circa 2005 that will run, but just really, really slow. In order to get it to work, I had to go looking for a very lightweight 32 bit version of Linux. And it just kinda works for browsing the web now, as memory and cpu requirements just keep going up and up over time. Watching videos is pretty sucky. Reading text, no problem.

On the other hand, I'm writing this on an 8 year old Dell M4700. No issues whatever keeping up. But it was a very highly spec'd mobile workstation at the time. It runs the LTS version of Ubuntu '18. Not sure if I'll upgrade the OS, as it's been pretty heavily tricked out to meet my needs.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Per recommendations here, I switched to Brave/Qwant and they've been great so far!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Scott, what 32-bit version of Linux are you running? There aren't many of those left, but Zorin 15.3 LITE is one. Linux Lite 5.0 is another. And HERE is a web page that lists more (which I have not read, I just found it via search) I have run an ancient Netbook on Linux Lite, and it had practically no memory or RAM.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
I downloaded the email program Evolution to replace Thunderbird.

What did you do with all of your emails in Thunderbird?

Sorry I've been away for a while. With Thunderbird, you are pulling emails from another place, gmail, yahoo, etc. I actually decided to change from Evolution, not because of the email service though. You download Evolution, fill out you email info from your main place (more than one is OK) and it will download all your emails on record there. Very easy. Then dump t-bird.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't use any on-machine email service. I just go to my two email providers (Gmail and Comcast) where it's all kept anyway. That way, I can access it from any machine.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I understand Rocky, but for me, I use one machine when home (no phone linking) and my email will boot you off if no activity for several minutes. Pain in the butt to log back in numerous times a day.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I just deleted Firefox and I am replying here using Brave as my internet browser.

I actually like Brave better despite just starting to use it and it was a piece of cake bringing over my bookmarks from Firefox and Microsoft Edge.

In response to Firefox's request as to why I left them, in the small box I put because of their leftist views and in the big box I told them that they were enemies of America and a free American people trying to dismantle the 1st Amendment and quoted the beginning of the response their president was quoted as saying in the Breitbart article.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Scott, what 32-bit version of Linux are you running? There aren't many of those left, but Zorin 15.3 LITE is one. Linux Lite 5.0 is another. And HERE is a web page that lists more (which I have not read, I just found it via search) I have run an ancient Netbook on Linux Lite, and it had practically no memory or RAM.

It's in storage right now. Hopefully it boots up when I try it again:)

At any rate, it's either Mint, before Mint shut off 32 bit support, or it's straight Debian. It uses the xfce desktop for sure though - about as lightweight a desktop environment as you can get.

You ever get a hankering to try Gentoo or Linux from Scratch? Probably not the best use of your time, but will give you a pretty good peek under the hood.

Last edited by Scott_Thornley; 01/13/21.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I too, went to Brave yesterday. On my PC and laptop. Pretty much tested the laptop yesterday and then uninstalled and deleted as much Firefox stuff as I could find. After using the PC for a while this morning, I am going to the same on it. I also went to duckduckgo, for now at least. I also deleted the Amazon account that I only got a short while ago, started after Amazon was the only place that I could find an item that I wanted. I am watching for other places that I need to quit. As soon as I can figure how to keep up on the Grand-kids, Facebook will go. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Happy Birthday, Scott! No, I'm not savvy enough to try building my own Linux system with something like Gentoo or Arch. I haven't ever used Terminal, for example. I stick with the more "Windows-like" distributions because there are some tricks this old dog is not willing to learn. I may have to load Brave using the Terminal, though. Mint's package manager can't find it, or Dissenter, or Vivaldi.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.