Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
After many years of not having a dog (I grew up with european lineage labs, and my wife had a bunch of rottweilers and dobermans as a kid too), I think we are longing for a dog. We are award of the challenges for travel, attention, care etc, and feel the kids are also old enough to be able to semi-care for one.

I have always liked bigger breeds, but that may not be a possibility now, due to our home size, and something Viszla-sized would be about biggest. Another lab may be a possibility, but would want good genetics and prefer the stocky built ones vs the skinnier lanky ones. This one won't be used for hardcore hunting, but more of a companion/family dog and would get a lot of opportunities to be outdoors (albeit not much during the week - besides being walked and such)

Thinking Beagle, Vizsla, Brittany Spaniel, Lab
Any other breeds I should also look for, that meet some or all of these requirements?

- short hair or non shedding midlength coat (like a Brittany Spaniel at the most)
- Good with kids
- Trainable for obedience/tricks maybe some fetch. No need for field trials

BP-B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sit down, dogs have gone up.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
German Shorthaired Pointer. A bit high maintenance depending on the lineage, but they love like no other and they check all the boxes you mentioned.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Airedale. We’ve owned them, er, they’ve owned us for years. Very little shedding. Extremely smart and outstanding companions. Love kids and your friends. 500-1000$.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Not a Brittany. I love them and have had 2 but they shed like crazy and are VERY high energy and need attention.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Sit down, dogs have gone up.

That's the truth. Bought our Airedale from a breeder 5 years ago for $1,200. Their site now lists them for close to 3k.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
crazy

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Have never been a dog person , though I love the heck out of other peoples dogs! Almost two weeks ago I was having a sleepless night. I am in the basement and I hear this dog barking on the front porch at 0230ish. I don some gear, headlamp, grab the shotgun and head outside. A little beagle is shivering on the front porch. I entice him inside the garage where he tries rolling up in the rug. I get his collar off and go look up his owners. Both phone numbers don't work so I go to address I googled. I pick up the little bugger and drive about five miles away and knock on a farmers door. Both of em get up with their pack of beagles howling! They had two vagabond beagles not come back to the truck that afternoon from rabbit hunting. A pretty smart dog that somehow knew our house was friendly and barked until someone woke up!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
In these times a dog with protective instincts ought be considered. If you are not going to hunt with the breeds you mentioned then consider the breed types your wife had as a kid..... or others that would be a good watchdog.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Scratch beagles off the list, bred to follow their nose, not follow instructions.

I have had good luck with heelers (aka Australian Cattle Dogs).

Also put miniature poodle on the list.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Sponxx
After many years of not having a dog (I grew up with european lineage labs, and my wife had a bunch of rottweilers and dobermans as a kid too), I think we are longing for a dog. We are award of the challenges for travel, attention, care etc, and feel the kids are also old enough to be able to semi-care for one.

I have always liked bigger breeds, but that may not be a possibility now, due to our home size, and something Viszla-sized would be about biggest. Another lab may be a possibility, but would want good genetics and prefer the stocky built ones vs the skinnier lanky ones. This one won't be used for hardcore hunting, but more of a companion/family dog and would get a lot of opportunities to be outdoors (albeit not much during the week - besides being walked and such)

Thinking Beagle, Vizsla, Brittany Spaniel, Lab
Any other breeds I should also look for, that meet some or all of these requirements?

- short hair or non shedding midlength coat (like a Brittany Spaniel at the most)
- Good with kids
- Trainable for obedience/tricks maybe some fetch. No need for field trials

Of the breeds you listed, and having been around those breeds, my vote would be for a Lab.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

10 year old Beagle and 3 month old Mountain Cur here, both females.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Beagles aren't high on the dog intelligence list. If you live in a neighborhood and want it to spend time outside it will bark nearly non-stop. Vizslas are very high energy dogs. You will have to allow them to get vigorous exercise or they won't be happy. Labs are very smart and can be high energy. You'll have to budget time for them to give them an outlet for their energy or intellect, or they won't be happy. From your list, the Brittany stands out as the best if not only choice.

Corgis are cool. They are smart, have great personalities, are the right size and not as demanding as the others on your list.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
German Shorthaired Pointer. A bit high maintenance depending on the lineage, but they love like no other and they check all the boxes you mentioned.

Yup... You don't "walk" a Shortair, 10mph is a little more of a jog. 😅

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
You should check out english labs

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A schnauzer checks all the boxes.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Evaluate your family’s own life style and a get temperament that fits It.
A good pound hound is hard to beat.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
no beagle!

We are getting our first german shorthair coming in a few weeks. Great dogs.

Last edited by killerv; 01/13/21.
O
OGB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Golden-doodle. I know, I know
Ours is 4y/o, smart, well behaved and has deemed my wife his "person". Always by her side. She calls him her "supervisor".

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We just finished our third week with this girl and after learning to not bite feet and hands at week one she has been a fantastic dog. Crazy quick learner. On day three of ownership she headed out to the street maybe 75 yards away and fetched the newspaper. She starts the day doing it. All of the necessary commands are pretty well nailed as well as shake, crawl and spin. She's sleeping to my left now but will soon be up for lunch.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 11point, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 88 invisible), 2,719 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.