Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dess
A schnauzer checks all the boxes.

This. Miniature or standard. Not very much shedding at all, nobody will sneak up on your house.

[Linked Image]
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My vote would be for a Lab for a family pet. Or a Lab/Golden mix.

Definitely not a Beagle. I grew up with Beagles, one of the reasons I appreciate Labs so much!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Scratch beagles off the list, bred to follow their nose, not follow instructions..

^^ This ^^ .... I would not own a hound for a pet / house dog. Let them off the lead and they're gone after smells without any attention to you or anyone else.

Pretty good shedders as well, as are the labs the OP mentioned.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own a smoothcoat Pudelpointer. It's a bit bigger than what the OP wants and it high energy. I enjoy the daily walking. It doesn't shed much at all and is good with kids.

I'd buy another smoothcoat PP.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Under cover German Police Dog:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Nine pound Norwich Terrier with the heart of a 100 pounder.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So many dogs,

so little time.

good luck with whichever breed you choose.

We favor whippets, but they have to be walked a couple of miles a day and need a bit of a yard to run around in when they're not sleeping on the couch.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I had read beagles could get loud, and following nose and not commands can be frustrating for everyone.

I may have to relook labs again, or maybe a Rott, though they are bigger than what we would want and could offer for spreading around room here.
English labs may fit the requirement (steep bill though) but I would hate to compare them to my previous dogs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Sit down, dogs have gone up.

That's the truth. Bought our Airedale from a breeder 5 years ago for $1,200. Their site now lists them for close to 3k.

That's ridiculous.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

While Beagles are lovable and friendly dogs, most I've ever been around were also skilled escape artists. Beagles and Pyrenees are usually the two breeds I see posted most often on lost and found sites.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The last of our Mini-Dachshunds passed away a few weeks ago, so we've been looking for a replacement or two. You're right about prices....bought our last two for $750 or so, now $3,500. And you can't even adopt a shelter dog without being on a waiting list that never ends. Everyone being home with Covid restrictions has increased demand greatly. Wait until everyone has to go back to work....the shelters will be overloaded!

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I like vizslas and have owned them but doesn't sound like you want an upland hunting dog as they require a lot of daily exercise.

Id go with a lab as they would check all of your boxes and great with kids. They do shed some

Last edited by ribka; 01/13/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sponxx
I had read beagles could get loud, and following nose and not commands can be frustrating for everyone.

I may have to relook labs again, or maybe a Rott, though they are bigger than what we would want and could offer for spreading around room here.
English labs may fit the requirement (steep bill though) but I would hate to compare them to my previous dogs.

Maybe look at the Nova Scotia Tolling retrievers,

Portuguese Water dog,

But, the perfect dog will be yours to find.

Don't forget to look at breed specific rescue organizations in your area once you decide. Many times you can get a good dog that way without having to pay the high cost. An awful lot of dogs have to be given up because of age of the owner, a career move, etc, and some of the dogs are younger. Two of ours are from a whippet rescue group.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Sponxx

Years ago I posted when my English lab Ted passed. I still miss him to this day. It was some time before I got another, British lab this time . ( English is show lines blockier heads etc British is field lines)
Had I known I was getting a dog like Ben (British), I never would had waited. I don’t find myself comparing them.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Maybe a Roosevelt Rat Terrier with some size?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S

I have a Beagle. Cute little mutt, right?
She will never come when you call her. I mean, if you are holding a fried chicken drumstick in your hand she might come, but otherwise not.
Beagles are high-strung and love to run around in the woods. I own 48 acres in the NC mountains and this mutt spends 2 or 3 hours a day running up and down these mountains and howling at the moon, or at werewolves, or at some damn thing. I bet Daisy runs 9 miles a day.

In an hour I will take her out for a 2 1/2 mile walk, and after we get back from that she will still go out and run around for 9 miles, howling incessantly.

If you don't have a big place where the Beagle can run around a lot, I would not get a Beagle.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Catahoula, Black Mouth Cur (Old Yeller), Blue Lacy, Vizla, Mountain Cur

Catahoulas are superior to every other "family" dog I've ever been around. They can get along or get gritty when needed, and also smart, loyal, pleasing, protective and on and on and on.

Hardin284
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Get a RESQUE DOG. You'll be glad you did !!!

"not too grumpy"
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
[quote=hardin284]Catahoula, Black Mouth Cur (Old Yeller), Blue Lacy, Vizla, Mountain Cur

Catahoulas are superior to every other "family" dog I've ever been around. They can get along or get gritty when needed, and also smart, loyal, pleasing, protective and on and on and on.

[/quote

As a fellow Catahoula owner I disagree. Far too much energy requirement and the need to do a job would eliminate them from the OP search, IMHO. I would look for an British Lab if I were him. I absolutely love my Catahoula, by the way.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My response would be biased.

I can’t even look at them though without getting white hair on my jeans.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everyone should have at least one sausage hound.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
490 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,198 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.