Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’m moving gun safes to a new house.
They will sit on a carpeted concrete basement floor.
Should the safes just sit on the carpeted floor, or should there be something between the safe bottom and carpet.

NRA Patron
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put mine on plexiglass sheets from Lowes.

------------------------
John
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my long experience with such things, if you have a basement, you will eventually have water in the basement, if not actually flooded at least on the floor. For those folks who have never had water in the basement, good for you. "Yet" is the keyword here.

If you simply must put your gun container in the basement, at least try to get it raised up off the floor a few inches. Good insurance.

[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have mine up on 2x4s

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought some 1x6 pvc boards, cut to the depth of the safe. Put 1 on each side of the safe to keep it off the basement tile. I’ve had water intrusion before that I think is fixed, but I don’t want my safe sitting in it after coming home from a long weekend if it were to ever happen again.

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Yes, 2x4 or 2x6 on edge under the safe.

And a LOUD water alarm!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dale06
Should the safes just sit on the carpeted floor, or should there be something between the safe bottom and carpet.

I had quite the go-round with my Safe manufacturer-a very well known and respected one. I had three or maybe four of their safes before they finally got it right. The last one I got, has legs. So it sits up off the floor. I would not want my safe sitting right on the floor.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I had a similar situation at one time.. Solved it with four lengths of 4X4 redwood along the perimeters - with gaps at each corner... It really allowed air to circulate and kept things dry.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mines on a pallet

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Mines on a pallet

Mine to. How it came.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Mines on a pallet

Mine to. How it came.

If it isn't bolted to something very solid, you run the risk of loosing your vault along with everything that's in it. An unsecured vault is like a transport container.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by gunzo
Mines on a pallet

Mine to. How it came.

If it isn't bolted to something very solid, you run the risk of loosing your vault along with everything that's in it. An unsecured vault is like a transport container.

Bingo. Secure it, forget the wood.

D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by gunzo
Mines on a pallet

Mine to. How it came.

If it isn't bolted to something very solid, you run the risk of loosing your vault alo
Along with everything that's in it. An unsecured vault is like a transport container.

It’s well over 1000 pounds. And has to come up a 10’ flight of stairs.
Not saying it can’t happen.
I think a good metal saw is my biggest risk.

Last edited by dale06; 01/13/21.

NRA Patron
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
yes, mine is 800 lb empty, plus several hundred pounds of lead ingots in the bottom.

There is much more risk of some one grabbing the Sawzall or disc grinder stored in the same room and just cutting the side out of the safe, than there is of them carting it out intact. And mine does not involve a flight of stairs.

There is really no stopping a determined thief with time on his side. My safe stops semi honest crooks and unauthorized children.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2x4 platform and placed it on top...Golden rod inside and a dehumidifier plumbed to a drain...zero rust issues in a bunch of years.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

I bought the dricore type basement floor panels from lowes/home depot. Let's you have the perfect size and extremely strong.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

If your house is built right there should be NO water in the basement...depends on how it is built though, so put the safes on the floor. Raising them only helps a thief get rollers under it and it makes it a pain to clean under it. Mine all sit on the floor (carpeted). The smallest is only 1300 - 1400 pounds, which makes it easy enough to move, so they are bolted too. . If you have carpeted floor and get flooded, it's all coming out anyway. The only thing under mine are shims to make them perfectly plumb so the door stays where I leave it when it is open....an out of plumb safe allows the door to swing open or closed on it's own, which isn't a big deal unless you have a pretty gun sitting in the opening. If the steps you are talking about are outside steps, that's really no big deal for a couple of planks and an electric winch. If you put the safe on a platform, a thief could easily put pipe under it, roll it to a door and winch it up the steps to a truck, all dependent on the lay out of course. I would put them on the floor and bolt them down and don't look back.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bobinpa

If your house is built right there should be NO water in the basement...depends on how it is built though, so put the safes on the floor. Raising them only helps a thief get rollers under it and it makes it a pain to clean under it. Mine all sit on the floor (carpeted). The smallest is only 1300 - 1400 pounds, which makes it easy enough to move, so they are bolted too. . If you have carpeted floor and get flooded, it's all coming out anyway. The only thing under mine are shims to make them perfectly plumb so the door stays where I leave it when it is open....an out of plumb safe allows the door to swing open or closed on it's own, which isn't a big deal unless you have a pretty gun sitting in the opening. If the steps you are talking about are outside steps, that's really no big deal for a couple of planks and an electric winch. If you put the safe on a platform, a thief could easily put pipe under it, roll it to a door and winch it up the steps to a truck, all dependent on the lay out of course. I would put them on the floor and bolt them down and don't look back.

This but my basement is bare concrete so I added the sheet of plexiglass and drilled right through it.

------------------------
John
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Concrete riser.

Yup, when things are great no water in basement.
Coworker had a bunch of Superposed.

A few inches of water, safe not on riser ....and every buttstock was ruined.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Definitely raise it above the carpet. Even if you don’t have a wet floor at some point the carpet holds moisture and will cause rust. I know this by experience even in AZ. Wood holds moisture also so don’t use it. Get a trex 2x4 and cut it to size for underneath.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 59 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,531
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.