Print Thread
Hop To
G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
See the Mutant that runs AK Mags I think. I’ve a BO I can’t seem to find ammo for and my brother is hung up on a Mini 30 type gun like an old one he had. I’m thinking of converting the BO or grabbing an upper if it’s a more reliable option. I remember years back there were some issues with this setup but with so much done now with ARs I’m guessing it’s mostly resolved.

Which barrel maker/bolt would you use if swapping on an existing upper? The BO supposedly was built with a Shilen or other good barrel before they were on the market. I’ve not fired it ever and had it 7 years. The prior owner ran it suppressed and unsupressed without a hiccup and it doesn’t have an adjustable gas block which I think sounds odd. He’s a good friend who offered to let me try it myself but I’ve since moved. I’m not real familiar with AR designs but when I put a PRS stock and rifle buffer tube on it I noticed the old buffer had a translucent section. Maybe it was picked to cycle best. It’s matched to a 556 both built by BPM/Barnes Precision.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you handload? The BO is just chopped .223 brass.

Politics is War by Other Means
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If you go down the x39 road, a few key things for success are,

- enhanced firing pin (it's a little longer)

- magazines. I've had no trouble with DSC Duramags.

- full strength milspec trigger spring and full weight milspec hammer. All my ARs are milspec triggers.

I have a couple complete uppers from Palmetto State Armory that have been 100% with steel cased Russian ammo. One is the 16" carbine, the other is a 10.5" pistol. Also rolled the dice on an upper from AR15Parts.com...(I know, I know.....grin), but the stupid thing has also ran fine, it is a 20" barrel and mid-length gas system.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Some pics of the x39's.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Some pics of the x39's.

Don't feel bad, a guy I shoot with at the club buys a lot of stuff from Model 1 sales and he has a 7.62x39 complete upper from them. It actually shoots pretty good. Its a 20" A2 upper. When I think of model 1 sales, I think dirt cheap, but my friend says he has no complaints, so that may also be a consideration for the OP..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CBC industries has 7.62x39 uppers for 299

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Some pics of the x39's.

Don't feel bad, a guy I shoot with at the club buys a lot of stuff from Model 1 sales and he has a 7.62x39 complete upper from them. It actually shoots pretty good. Its a 20" A2 upper. When I think of model 1 sales, I think dirt cheap, but my friend says he has no complaints, so that may also be a consideration for the OP..

I don't feel bad at all. I went down this path to have a few economical uppers that could feed off an alternate ammo supply than 5.56/223.

The way things are now, even 7.62x39 is getting scarce.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Some pics of the x39's.

I don't feel bad at all. I went down this path to have a few economical uppers that could feed off an alternate ammo supply than 5.56/223.

The way things are now, even 7.62x39 is getting scarce.

I hear you. I still have over 2,000 rounds of wolf steel cased 7.62x39. I actually thought about converting one of my ar's over.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,310
Posts18,468,202
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.