-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You didn’t mention price but if you can find a Barret Fieldcaft that would seem to check off all the boxes.

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
First two that come to mind to me are the Tikka T3x and the older Rem 700 Mountain Rifle. I love them both. You can get a .223 Rem in the Tikka Superlight with a 1;8 twist that would make a nice deer rifle. Get one in just about any of the lighter calibers for deer and be just sitting pretty. My Model 700 mountain rifle in .280 is wonderful rifle as well.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have a screwed up neck and back so avoid slinging a rifle over my shoulder.

My Rem 760 got the nod this past deer season as my Steyr Prohunter is heavy.

Did take a B Number 1 a couple times, short travel though.
Too long and heavy for that place, bye bye.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/13/21.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gregintenn
You ever handle a 1920 Savage?
No I haven't. Can you tell me a little more about this gun?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Well, I just got home from 10 days in the hospital dealing with compacted discs and a slew of other maladies to my back. There will be more work needed to get me back on my feet, but at least I can get around the house right now.They fed me lots of pain pills, some of which had some serious mindbender effecks. Gabapentin is some nasty stuff, and I hope I never have to take it again.

I don't plan on giving up the outdoor activity I love, which is deer hunting even if it means I'm down to hunting 100 yards off the roads. I'll do as much as I can to have a quality experience. I want to go with a lighter rifle. What do you guys suggest? A Winchester Model 70 FWT? Any brand's okay with me. Caliber will need to be something between .243 and .308 I'm not picky, have shot most of these rounds, and have little doubt they can get the job done. So I'm looking for a lightweight, carbine lenght bolt action with a lightweight scope. rings, and bases.

What would you guys suggest? I'm sure gonna miss carrying my 99's but I'll have to go ligter from now on.

Thanks for your help guys.

Just get the featherweight.
It's on your mind.
You probably want it since ya mentioned it.
Got the benjamins
Get a pre 64 or a 5 or 6 digit Crf new haven.

Ammo availabilty in this day and the future might drive the pony caliber wise.
A 243 with 95 to 100gr bullets or a .308 with 150,s to 165,s.

Just saying....

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Renegade

I’m pretty sure he has you on ignore

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Let me check.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Nope.....

You???
LOL!!!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Well, I just got home from 10 days in the hospital dealing with compacted discs and a slew of other maladies to my back. There will be more work needed to get me back on my feet, but at least I can get around the house right now.They fed me lots of pain pills, some of which had some serious mindbender effecks. Gabapentin is some nasty stuff, and I hope I never have to take it again.

I don't plan on giving up the outdoor activity I love, which is deer hunting even if it means I'm down to hunting 100 yards off the roads. I'll do as much as I can to have a quality experience. I want to go with a lighter rifle. What do you guys suggest? A Winchester Model 70 FWT? Any brand's okay with me. Caliber will need to be something between .243 and .308 I'm not picky, have shot most of these rounds, and have little doubt they can get the job done. So I'm looking for a lightweight, carbine lenght bolt action with a lightweight scope. rings, and bases.

What would you guys suggest? I'm sure gonna miss carrying my 99's but I'll have to go ligter from now on.

Weatherby Ultra Lightweight Mk V rifles are extremely light. Less than six pounds. One in .243 Winchester (using 100 grain bullets) should be perfect.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50
Nope.....

You???
LOL!!!

Yea

lol

Oh well

Fugg the OP, doubt he’s killed anything in 10 years

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
You don't mention a budget which will determine the best rifle and scope for you situation. Most manufacturers make a really light weight rifle. Kimber probably makes the lightest but its almost $2k. With neck and back issues, another thing to consider is a really good recoil pad and possibly a muzzle brake especially with a light weight rifle. As for calibers, don't forget 6.5 creed, 7mm-08, and 260. If you don't need a super flat shooter then 7mm-08 is a good low recoil round. You want something that you can get ammo at wally world, when there is ammo, then go 243 or 308. I would push more towards 308 of the 2 but recoil maybe a factor. If you aren't going to be making any shots over 100 yds, a ruger 77/44 might be a good choice.

If money is not an issue

Kimber mountain ascent in 7mm-08 with a swaro z3 3-9x36. Total weight 5 pounds 9 oz, loaded with scope rings is probably pushing 6 pounds. Comes standard with muzzle brake and pachmayr 1 inch decelerator pad. Total cost approximately $2500.
Budget's gonna be in the 1K range. This will be my last deer rifle so the budget's a little bigger. I'm game for the 6.5 Creed, 7mm-08, or the .308. Actually I'll be leaning towards the .308. This is my last rifle, so I won't be looking at the bottom end stuff. I don't know how many hunts are left in this old body. It matters to me that this is something my son, daughter, or grandkid would hunt with too. Lots to consider here.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Be slick if you could find a Rem600 in 243.

Even better if I could.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ruger American Ranch Rifle in .300 Blackout.

Light, short, handy, and zero recoil to hurt your back. To 150 yards...it is deadly. The cartridge and rifle are very accurate.

I can give you a good load for it.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I wonder if my 8mm would be classified as a lightweight???
7 pds 13 14 oz
Scoped and loaded.

Sure as heck waaaaaay lighter than my 6 digit new haven crf classic sporter ot6.

Love da mauser...

Ot6 been cased up for 3 yrs....
With no foreseeable woods time this fall either.

Op should get the featherweight he mentioned.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How about a 260 cal.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Oddly, I just checked, and the Weatherby Ultra Lightweight Mk V isn't available in .243 Winchester. Nuts.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by renegade50
Nope.....

You???
LOL!!!

Yea

lol

Oh well

Fugg the OP, doubt he’s killed anything in 10 years

^^^^^
This is why he has you on ignore.
Big meanie...
Being Golddust from the WWE shattering dreams all da time and schit.

I'm gonna speak to Mrs. Slumlord about this stuff.
Suggest to her about getting some self improvement DVD,s geared towards you.
She might sacrifice 2 or 3 nights of lifetime or hallmark channel and watch and discuss these with you.

Humanity will also benefit from a new and improved slumlord.

LOL!!!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ledvm

Ruger American Ranch Rifle in .300 Blackout.

Light, short, handy, and zero recoil to hurt your back. To 150 yards...it is deadly. The cartridge and rifle are very accurate.

I can give you a good load for it.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Savage Lightweight Hunter in .308 is under 7 pounds with sling, scope, and loaded.

You're welcome to try her out.

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 1911a1
A post war 99F featherweight in ... 250 savage.

This was the first thing that came to my mind.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.