Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have Sweets. Haven’t used it in decades.

Better stuff available. I like one that can soak over night if needed. Don’t try that with Sweets.

DF

BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First, I minimize how much copper accumulates by applying DBC to my bores, and then when cleaning the bore is needed I use a shot of WO left overnight. If in a hurry I use Montana Extreme 50BMG.

M
MOW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I use Wipeout foam, if I think there is still copper (which is not often) I will follow with Butches Bore Shine. I finish with CLP as a preservative.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I start with 2 patches soaked with good old Hoppes #9 to get the major crud out then I run a patch of Wipe-out accelerator followed by wipe-out foam...I let it soak for an hour or so then I run 8 or 10 more patches of Hoppes #9 followed by a dry patch and then a patch soaked in Lucas gun oil or Birchwood Casey Barricade and My rifle barrel is clean as a whistle, all copper fouling is gone and I shoot Barnes TTSX bullets exclusively........Good luck....Hb

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I start with 2 patches soaked with good old Hoppes #9 to get the major crud out then I run a patch of Wipe-out accelerator followed by wipe-out foam...I let it soak for an hour or so then I run 8 or 10 more patches of Hoppes #9 followed by a dry patch and then a patch soaked in Lucas gun oil or Birchwood Casey Barricade and My rifle barrel is clean as a whistle, all copper fouling is gone and I shoot Barnes TTSX bullets exclusively........Good luck....Hb

When buying cleaning products it is wise to keep to one vendor. Sharpshootr stuff is a different animal then most of the other bore cleaners on the market. They might react with each other in not a good way.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The etching with ammonia based cleaners only occurs if you let it dry out on the metal, if kept wet there should be no etching. On really problem barrels I would plug the muzzle and fill the barrel with the copper remover, it can stay like this muzzle down over night with an oily patch in the chamber.

Lately except when applying DBC I have not needed anything more aggressive than JB bore cleaner with any good solvent. For routine cleaning I will be going with Wipe Out more and more as I use up the other products. With the de-coppering gun powders the need for the ammonia based products is practically nil.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I don’t use JB’s or brushes after DBC. Wipe out is good, Patch Out isn’t as messy and IMO, is easier. I let Patch Out soak and usually after a few cycles it’s clean.

The more I shoot and clean after DBC, the easier and faster clean up becomes. To me JB probably take out DBC.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBoston
The etching with ammonia based cleaners only occurs if you let it dry out on the metal, if kept wet there should be no etching.

Yes not advisable to let ammonia solutions dry.
but also true -
Ammonia solution can be used to etch steels.
How well 5% in Sweets or less in other bore
cleaners can etch steel, is another matter.
Loading manuals from the 50s, recommended
26% ammonia for at least 20 minutes in a
plugged(sealed) barrel , then a good flush,
dry and oiling.
Ammonia is also hydrophilic, meaning it
draws moisture from the atmosphere.

I still use Sweets responsibly without a worry.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Gunslick foaming bore cleaner

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Boretech Eliminator, very little smell

yup

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Fotis
Boretech Eliminator, very little smell

yup

To me, it's a close second to Patch Out. With Patch Out, I can use the Accelerator if needed. I like Wipe Out, it's just a bit messy. Patch Out is about as effective and IME, easier to use.

Eliminator is good and you're right, it doesn't have much smell.

DF

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've used hopes #9 for 50 years and it seems to work for me. too old to change now.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I've used hopes #9 for 50 years and it seems to work for me. too old to change now.

If you have used Hoppes#9 for 50 years you have never got all the copper out of your bore, buy a bore scope and see what I mean,
you are never too old to change unless you are Nancy Pelosi laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Patchout

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Eliminator. Although the bottles suck.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I no longer care to babysit Sweets.

Sweets was my standby favorite, still keep a bottle around. Been using Wipe Out for years now. Comes in a metal can, haven't ever had a can leak which supports claim it doesn't harm carbon steel or 416 stainless. I too got tired of sitting with Sweets making sure it didn't dry in bore and etch. Can't imagine anything less hassle free that works as well as Wipe out. Doubt I will ever use Sweet's again. Good cleaner, but it has it's own set of diminishing side effects if not used explicitly as described in directions. Really little wiggle room where as Wipe Out can be left in barrel overnight with no bad effects.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
113 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,373 guests, and 685 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.