Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I knew a guy who went together with a few of his friends and paid for a lease. I think it was 4 or 5 guys total, anyhow the land owner caught one of the guys bringing 2 or 3 other hunters who werent paying for the lease to hunt during the week while the other guys were at work. Land owner told all of them to get lost, it turned into a big shouting match between all of them and I dont think any of them are friends anymore to this day.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
I’m not a landowner, but I am one hell of a charming son-in-law.

I had that until my inlaws joined the angel choir.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunted a 30,000 acre ranch north of Emmett Idaho for a couple of decades. I took the cow boss's kids bird hunting on Thanksgiving day. One day I get stopped by this young man and he starts giving me hell for trespassing. I tell him I have permission from the owner and have hunted here for decades. He yells that's all over and I'm not welcome here. So I drive over to the cow boss's home and asks what's up? He tells me I spoke with the owner's new son in law and the kid has dreams of turning the place into his own hunting business. Cow boss tells me to just ignore him and go hunting and if he jumps me again tell him you want to drive over to the owners with him to clear it up. Cow boss also says he'll guarantee the owner likes me more than the new SIL. I never went back, it was a great place to hunt but I didn't want to stir up family business.

Was hunting 1/2 mile from my home, lying in a cut corn field with hundreds of ducks swarming the field. It was tough shooting only one at a time. Land owner's son comes storming out and chews my ass. I tell him I had spoke with his Dad that very day and had permission to hunt there. The son was fuming so I said okay I'll leave, pointed at my house which was clearly in view, and told him to stop by if he had a problem with me. When I spoke with his Dad he apologized for his son's behavior and said it was best I didn't hunt there again.

Was hunting the section in which my home was located and had permission to hunt there. Got stopped by a guy telling me I was trespassing and had to leave. I asked him if he owned the land, he said no but knew who did. I asked who was the owner and he gave me a bogus name. I suggested we go talk to Dwayne, the owner, about this guy claiming to own his land. We parted ways fairly quickly.

Same one mile section: I carried a range finder to verify I was hunting outside the safety zone. Had a Karen come out screaming at me to leave. It went on for a while and I told her to call the authorities and we could discuss her unlawful interference with my legal hunt. I waited around and no one showed.

Finishing on a positive note, the land owner adjacent to where I hunt stopped me in the field one day. Asked my why I had never asked to hunt his property and I explained his concrete ditches and farming practices were too modern for pheasant habitat. He went on to point out he had another piece of land with lots of birds but they were building a development next to it. Next time out I was over with my range finder and killing birds.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A few months ago I had a guy invite me to a lease that he was part of and not to worry about paying. I politely declined, it wouldnt take long for the other hunters to discover I wasnt paying for anything and I dont need the drama

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by hanco
A place I leased for 25 years was sold. I had to get my cshit and get gone.

That happens a lot, Hanco.

Last year the Mississippi dwf wasn’t seeing any big buck reports and went to investigating as to why.

Upon visiting taxidermist shops they found bodacious bucks being mounted.

They then found that the hunters were keeping their mouths shut so that their leases wouldn’t be scooped away by folks offering much more money.

I belong to a group that forbids posting any harvest publicly. One guy took a very old 12 point with a double main beam and sent it to the local paper and put it on FB.

Zapped and adios .

Our wardens visit taxi shops on surprise inspections, kill tags and logged checkin no.s have to attached to the skull plate while in the shop.
Unless you got a speak easy taxidermist, but that is far fetched.

Maybe your laws or warden discretion is different?

What are you asking, Slum?

Maybe I read it and inferred that deer we not being officially tagged in and your local taxidermist was “in on the misdoings”

Okay, got it now.

No, the deer were properly taken and tagged as they should have been but the missing link was that there were so few’bragging rights’ on display in the local newspaper Sportsman pages, big buck contests, etc.

In other words, some folks and hunting clubs learned some hard lessons with pictures, locations, etc. and lost leases that they’d held for many years and developed into trophy potential.

That’s what I was inferring, Slum.

Ain’t nothing gets a Duck in trouble but his beak.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had to kick a guy off or "uninvited him " , it sucks when you got to be the regulator .

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
I have had to kick a guy off or "uninvited him " , it sucks when you got to be the regulator .

Rules are rules and a hunting club ain’t a democracy.

I’ve found that stiff fines for fuggin up and clearly stated in the rules sheet brings folks to heel pretty quick.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (6mmbrfan, 160user, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 766 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.