Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Anybody here taken advantage of Oklahoma's Elk season?

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
no .but a kid that grew up with my kids . that aint a kid no more been the army for 20 yrs was at a base got a cow tag in a state forest killed a big cow with a bow and got a 6by 6 on film at 15 yards 3 years a go

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Good luck!

The only thing "Normal" is the setting on your dryer.
Don't let the number of my posts lull you into thinking I'm "New" at this.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes.
Dad’s 2019 bull
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
My double on cows last month [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've seen elk in oklahoma before..
Maybe in the wichita mountains if memory serves me right....

What's their elk season like? Pretty limited I guess.

Cool pictures for those who shared.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wichita Mtns is once in a lifetime draw. Other areas of the state have over the counter seasons, most have a quota system to shut the season down once the desired amount of elk have been killed. The area we live and hunt in has no quota and a long season with a bag limit of two, no more than one bull. Ft Sill has their own regulations regarding who can hunt and where, I’m not military and not familiar with their regulations.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is it limited to residents only?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don’t think so. But it is limited to private land aside from the Wichita’s draw hunt with astronomically poor odds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I've seen elk in oklahoma before..
Maybe in the wichita mountains if memory serves me right....

What's their elk season like? Pretty limited I guess.

Cool pictures for those who shared.

-Jake

I deer hunted there and on any given day saw 20x the number of elk vs. deer. blush

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back in 1970, my last assignment in the Army was at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma. One evening I was at the base rifle range and the two guys at the bench next to me were sighting in what sounded like a cannon. When I talked to them it turned out one of them had drawn an elk tag in the Wichita Mountains near Ft Sill. They had been told that elk were hard to kill and that they should use at least a .375 H&H, which they had borrowed and were shooting it for the first time.

At that time I had only killed one elk (in my home state of Colorado) with a borrowed .30-40 Krag. I knew that my friends back home had killed elk for years with their .270's and .30-06's so I thought that .375 H&H wasn't needed for elk, so I just wished them good luck. Now, 50+ years later and having put 30+ more elk in my freezer, I still don't think that a .375 H&H is needed for elk.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Quite awhile back, there was an elk herd that frequented SE Colorado and at times drifted over to Kansas and other times down into Oklahoma. Colorado F&W tried to get Kansas to okay tags issued by Colorado to be legal in Kansas and Kansas tags legal in Colorado for those elk. Kansas said no go

It was reported that when the elk drifted into OK, it was open season on them as they had a tendency to decimate crop lands. I was told this by a CO F& W warden and they were not happy about it. Now any elk tag, except a few units are a "C" tag east of I-25 and you can buy as many as you want.

So I guess OK has elk season now? Correct?

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/17/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Quite awhile back, there was an elk herd that frequented SE Colorado and at times drifted over to Kansas and other times down into Oklahoma. Colorado F&W tried to get Kansas to okay tags issued by Colorado to be legal in Kansas and Kansas tags legal in Colorado for those elk. Kansas said no go

It was reported that when the elk drifted into OK, it was open season on them as they had a tendency to decimate crop lands. I was told this by a CO F& W warden and they were not happy about it. Now any elk tag, except a few units are a "C" tag east of I-25 and you can buy as many as you want.

So I guess OK has elk season now? Correct?

Yes, Oklahoma has an Elk season. It is not restricted to residents.

In late 1880s the elk were exterminated in the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge. They started to build the herd back in the early 1900s.

In 1908, one bull elk of unknown origin was donated to the Preserve by the City of Wichita, Kansas. Then, in 1911, five Rocky Mountain elk, one bull and four cows, were transplanted from the National Elk Refuge herd in Jackson, Wyoming. In 1912, fifteen additional Rocky Mountain elk, three bulls and twelve cows, were received from the National Elk Refuge herd. Due to the success of these introductions, no further animals were brought into the herd and the elk now inhabiting the refuge and surrounding lands are descendants of these original animals.

http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hunting/elk-hunting-seasons.

I have seen Okla Elk from the SE part of the state to the SW part of the state. I do have a pic of my nephew's elk that he shot on his property south of the Wichita Mountains, near Indiahoma.I'm not able to post photos now, but can email them.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The Cookson Hills, in the Eastern part of the state, is where a herd was seeded in hopes it would grow. It has. It's great to have them back here.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
The Cookson Hills, in the Eastern part of the state, is where a herd was seeded in hopes it would grow. It has. It's great to have them back here.

Lot of poaching in eastern Oklahoma>

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
371 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 35 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,898
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.