Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Ok, this is something I have put off for too many years. The newly retired wife is also ready for some adventure. So starting in SD, what are our best opportunities for prairie dog hunting? That southwest area of grassland? Any natural die-off still affecting populations?
Any leads would get us started in the right direction.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Wyoming

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
The various reservations are often a good place to start. I might check Rosebud or Cheyenne River, Lower Brûlé perhaps.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you’ve never done it, I’d spend a few hundred bucks a day for a guide that has access to private land.
I’ve shot them one or more times a year in Wy, SD, Colo, and Ks, for the past 30 years. Knocking on doors and getting permission to shoot them, used to be easy. It is very rare today. I’d rather spend time shooting rather than driving looking for places to shoot, with little chance of success.
They have become a “cash crop.”
In my view, the best time to go is about May 20 till June 10.

NRA Patron
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
dale06 is giving good advice. If you choose to self guide you will spend a lot of time trying to find places to shoot, you can spend a lot of time and money trying to find a spot on your own unless you are very lucky. Google can be your friend - try googling PD hunts or PD outfitters in the various states, some of them offer a low budget shoot where they just show you the field and don't stay with you all day. Getting some reviews from past customers would be a good idea if you are going to use a guide.
I generally do not go until around the first of June, I have been rained out too many times in late May.

drover

Last edited by drover; 01/13/21.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Ok thanks fellas. I'd rather spend time behind the scope than knocking on doors. Anticipating more helpful hints.........

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I shoot 'em here.......last 20+ years---May-October

Utah is not know for p/dog action...but they are here

Drought has really cut the numbers down.....plague too

I shoot large tracts of irrigated private properties...one place has 12+ full circle pivots

Most land owners can be reluctant to let strangers come in with LR rifles

and start shooting with people--livestock & expensive irrigation hardware on the property

Irrigation is the key word....that's where the dogs are

You didn't speak of your hardware ? 20 cal's are where its at..pic..high mileage 20 Vartarg

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Montana or S. Dakota!!!

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Also, I have shot more dogs with the .222, .223 and .22-250.. The first two are ideal.. At times a .22 mag. is nice to have in the truck..

Molon Labe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Montana or S. Dakota!!!

haha. I see what you've done there.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tikkanut is right, 22-250 can be a hard sell. Short range 17hmr will get you on more properties.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have completely run out of dogs here in Montana. I hear SD and Wyoming are loaded and ranchers are now paying people to shoot them. Check with WCH

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Ha, ha, good one 6mm.. They are CHARGING $ 300./day... Montana is still free....

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This guy shot the last two in Montana.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

He is a natural born PD killer.

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 01/14/21.
E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Now that’s a good pic. Fun in the sun. Edk

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
We have completely run out of dogs here in Montana. I hear SD and Wyoming are loaded and ranchers are now paying people to shoot them. Check with WCH

Thanks for posting this, Wasp. I was thinking about heading up your way this spring, but now I'll save some gas money and stop in South Dakota.
smirk smile

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle

This is true.

But I remember when the skies were black with prairie dogs.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started shooting PD's when I was in grade school in the 50's. Except for the time in the USMC I go nearly every year, though now I only go to a friend's ranch where he has asked us to help with his PD problems.

The best PD shooting I have ever had was south central Wyoming near where the North Platte comes out of the Colorado mountains - Saratoga was the nearest town. Along with 3 other shooters, I took 6 rifles and lots of ammo! After a week of solid shooting, switching rifles when they became to hot to continue shooting, I went home with just a few loaded cartridges for one of those rifles.

You didn't need any license in Wyoming to shoot PD's. The ranchers came to us to ask us to shoot dogs on their ranch, the camping was free. The Wyoming Game department gave us the recommendation of where to go.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ingwe

This is true.

But I remember when the skies were black with prairie dogs.....

Yep, I remember when they were so thick you could cross a creek on them and never get your feet wet.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
We have devolved into probable impeachment hearings for illegal diversion from good information.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 78 invisible), 2,942 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,495
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.