Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
But Boston work through the argument that hunting is a privilege granted by the state and whether the state can mandate a minimum shooting ability..

The way life should be.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bluefish
But Boston work through the argument that hunting is a privilege granted by the state and whether the state can mandate a minimum shooting ability..

A state likely has the POWER, though you could argue both sides. But, that's why we have elections--so that politicians can compete for the affections of the electorate. In commy states, and in commy countries in places like Europe, they tend to have stupid rules like that because, even if 100% of the small number of hunters there vote against the gun/hunting-regulator politician he/she still will win. But in states where some people still work with their hands and like to shoot their own food, those types of dumb regulations tend to be less common.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've seen people that were good shots completely fall apart in the presence of game. A shooting test isn't going to fix that.

There are lots of exceptional trap/skeet/sporting-clays shooters that can barely scratch down rooster pheasant outta the sky, they completely lose focus of all their shooting fundamentals. I know a few "crack-shots" on wild upland birds who aren't worth a hoot shooting any discipline of thrown clay pigeons.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
Why do we not have a shooting test too get a hunting license like in some European countries?

I'll go out on a limb here and say, because we're not a European Country.

agreed = may i add this we are a FREE NATION UNDER GOD

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bluefish
.......does the State have the authority legally to define what constitutes acceptable shooting necessary for granting of the hunting license?

Good question.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our in the city limits special draw archery deer hunts require a shooter proficiency test. South Dakota also requires, or they did, a class for those successful drawing an archery elk tag. I enjoyed the class, it wasn't difficult and I spent the time with like minded individuals.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
FPNI

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Men are born from the womb knowing everything there is know about firearms, firearms safety and shooting proficiency. It's in our DNA for chrissakes.

No need to have any training or testing whatsoever. Dare to question another man at the public range about his firearm safety protocol - they are free to do as they godddamn please!!!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I think that a basic safety and shooting proficiency assessment should be mandatory for everyone. Those that fail or refuse can pay a tax for their added risk.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Esteban325
I think that a basic safety and shooting proficiency assessment should be mandatory for everyone. Those that fail or refuse can pay a tax for their added risk.

Where are you from?

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
United States.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's not a matter of how good of a shot you are. FAR more important is that you have the maturity to fully identify what you're shooting at. Proficiency in target identification would do more to enhance safety than shooting accuracy.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Esteban325

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. Take your profciency test and stick it up your butt. Go sell your gun if you have one. You are a disgrace to the hunting and shooting community.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
But think of all the accidents that could be prevented! Think of the children! @Rock Chuck you make a very good point. That was implicit with my proposal. I dunno @atse, they did it for Obamacare. Why not for this since there is precedent from that? In fact I will go one step further- they must also own a gun at their household or face another tax. We can't be letting other people's irresponsibility cost responsible gun owners their rights. Rights come with responsibilities!

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
Okay I’m bored and didn’t think this one all the way through before asking it. Disregard this post.

Why do we not have a shooting test too get a hunting license like in some European countries? Most anyone that hunts long enough will have an animal get away at some point. However a lot of people can’t hit the broadside of a barn and have no business shooting at anything alive until their marksmanship improves.
I think it would encourage good marksmanship. You cant shoot you don’t get a tag. That’s motivation for improving your shooting skills.
Too edit the reason why I say this is not because of more government intrusion in our Iives but because there are too many idiots that can’t even hit the vitals of a deer even at just 100 yards unless it’s luck. Then you see deer running around because of that with jaws shot off etc.

How many times did you vote for Biden?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
OP kind of has the right spirit though. Shoot responsibly. This thread has me reminded of this ranch a buddy showed me- it's in Mexico, hosts trophy Sonoran mulies and has a slew of other game. Rates were pretty cheap too (relatively) I think. Their rule is that if you shoot a deer and the guide witnesses it, whether you recover it or not, that is your tag.
I also remember that the disrespect of game by taking [bleep] shots is a recurring complaint on Randy Selby's videos ("The Real Gunsmith"). Why not have something like the Mexico ranch where game is scarce. Cull hunts are a different matter- those can be [bleep] shots all day long. It's just my opinion on the matter.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It's not a matter of how good of a shot you are. FAR more important is that you have the maturity to fully identify what you're shooting at. Proficiency in target identification would do more to enhance safety than shooting accuracy.

Yep.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

No need to have any training or testing whatsoever. Dare to question another man at the public range about his firearm safety protocol - they are free to do as they godddamn please!!!

Bullsh*t.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
So, if hunting is a privilege, like driving, is anyone going to tackle the question of whether the state can set a standard for shooting proficiency necessary for the granting of a license? We. An then discuss hunting as a right under the law.

The way life should be.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Testing shooting proficiency doesn’t test common sense or the ability to perform under stress. Much wounded game is due to shooting at running game and trying to shoot through brush, and only experience and restraint can fix that. I haven’t seen any crippled deer or found any carcasses on the WMA I hunt in years. Compared to the losses of badly hit game birds of all sorts, I believe big game losses are pretty low.

Based on conversations with people I know, and ones I talk to in the woods, most folks are pretty conscientious about their shooting, and try to make the best of their opportunities. I have zero faith in the ability of any government agency to run any such testing program effectively and fairly. It would just create opportunities for the enemies of hunting to harass us. We already have sufficient motivation to become skilled shooters as it stands: self interest, personal ethics, and peer pressure.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
233 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,631 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.