Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
new M70 FWT 280 Rem. bolt closes hard on factory ammo, bolt opens and ejects fine. maybe I just ahvent gotten all the packing grease out of it yet?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

BP-B6

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Same story on multiple brands of ammo?

Just went through this with a Husq 640. Obviously not an identical action to M70, but the hitch on closing wasn't actually an obstruction (junk in chamber) it was the force needed to get the round fully seated under the claw due to an extractor arm slightly bent and creating extra tension on the underside. It just felt like it was chamber friction. No clue if that's your issue, but maybe something to keep in mind if simple fixes don't work.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Make sure the chamber is perfectly clean, even check the bolt face.

I seen anything from a tiny piece of a leaf, a small leaf stem, and even a tiny slice of cardboard paper in a chamber cause it, often what seems a small piece won’t even let you close the chamber at all... it only takes 2-4 thousands for many to not close.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 01/14/21.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gitem_12
new M70 FWT 280 Rem. bolt closes hard on factory ammo, bolt opens and ejects fine. maybe I just ahvent gotten all the packing grease out of it yet?
ALL factory ammo? Or just the brand you have now? Try another manufacturer and see if the issue persists.. Then you'll at least have gotten rid of one variable..

I had that happen on a M7 FWT in .260 Rem.. Close inspection of the ammo showed slightly crushed shoulders - from a brand new box of Rem ammo.. Called 'em up, they wanted it back, and then sent me a new box.. Problem solved..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
iin fairness, i could only find one brand of ammo when I bought the rifle Winchester Supreme 140 Ballistic Silvertip.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you can stir up another brand, I'd give that a shot. Maybe related, maybe not. I have a hunch we are going to see some serious QC issues with guns, ammo and shooting related equipment. The increasing demand, the efforts to increase production and the COVID related personnel turnover and new hires, can't spell good news.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Cluggins
If you can stir up another brand, I'd give that a shot. Maybe related, maybe not. I have a hunch we are going to see some serious QC issues with guns, ammo and shooting related equipment. The increasing demand, the efforts to increase production and the COVID related personnel turnover and new hires, can't spell good news.

I think you're right about QC generally speaking, but I believe this run of M70 FWTs in 280 was pretty limited and predated COVID/riots. (I have one... I think they were made in 2019?)

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
iin fairness, i could only find one brand of ammo when I bought the rifle Winchester Supreme 140 Ballistic Silvertip.

I'm surprised you even found that. Federal website usually has 280 for sale in Trophy Copper but they're pretty proud of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ran into this issue years ago with some factory Winchester 7mmRM ammo. About 2/3 of the box would not chamber in a factory 700 rifle. Turned out to just be the ammo.

Now with even more aplomb
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Following

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator

I think you're right about QC generally speaking, but I believe this run of M70 FWTs in 280 was pretty limited and predated COVID/riots. (I have one... I think they were made in 2019?)

But what about the ammo?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had that happen on a previously never fired Rem 700 243 with Prvi ammo. My reloads loaded and shot fine. Here is some good readily available fairly priced 280 rem ammo. They are good to go - I got a case from them.

https://ammoshoponline.com/product/in-stock-new-brass-280-rem-160-gr-tipstrike-norma-qty-20/

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a box of Barnes TTSX .270 Win ammo that is way over on COAL. When I bought it a few years back, only about 3-4 would chamber in my rifle. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I was cleaning up my reloading cabinet and saw the ammo, so I thought I’d compare it to the Barnes manual and it’s way over the Max COAL in the manual, and this is factory loaded ammo.

Last edited by Hudge; 01/14/21.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C

But what about the ammo?

Yup. No arguments there. Especially with the TSX/TTSX stuff. Folks seem to have all kinds of weird stories about chambering/fit with them.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Found a box of Federal 140 accubonds. They close very easy

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C

The real question is where the heck you found factory ABs in 280... you should probably buy a lottery ticket this week smile

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Make sure the chamber is perfectly clean, even check the bolt face.

I seen anything from a tiny piece of a leaf, a small leaf stem, and even a tiny slice of cardboard paper in a chamber cause it, often what seems a small piece won’t even let you close the chamber at all... it only takes 2-4 thousands for many to not close.

Dirty chamber?

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I bought a new bag of Hornady 270 WSM. About half of them wouldn’t chamber.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G

The real question is where the heck you found factory ABs in 280... you should probably buy a lottery ticket this week smile

Store has 2-3 more boxes. If it shoots good I'll grab them

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Have you tried a more aggressive push up routine?

No seriously, the mauser 18, and sauer 100 in my lineup experience similar issues......hopefully no follow up shots will be required until things are fully broken in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
490 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,185 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.