Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15654229 01/14/21
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Fortunately, I've been able to purchase everything (except for dies) I need to get back into reloading. Had to pay a little more, but nevertheless.

I've got Forster dies on backorder at Brownells, but I've found some Lee Die sets in the classifieds for the calibers I need.

They'll be used in a MEC Marksman Press to make hunting ammo, however I want the most concentric ammo I can load, although I'm primarily a hunter, I love to chase accuracy.

I don't want to start a pissing contest, but given the above criteria; what are your thoughts on the Lee Dies?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Not much love here on the fire for Lee...but I love the Lee collet die...and the dial indicator does not lie. And I've got Forster, Redding , RCBS, Hornady, you name it...so it's not like it's a one trick pony. Possibly some of my success at getting low runout ammo is the Forster press and it's floating chuck type shellholder.

Last edited by flintlocke; 01/14/21.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have well over 50 sets of dies. I bought a couple of Lee dies for the cheap price for a couple of cartridges I don't load often. (Their price isn't cheap anymore).

I prefer RCBS over any other die and I have, I think, almost every brand of dies, even some old dies like Herters that I bought before they went out of business. When I buy dies anymore, they almost always are RCBS. But some oddball cartridges (like some of my AI cartridges) I've found CH4 to be reasonable and available. I prefer RCBS for several reasons, but the number one reason is their customer service is the best of any company I deal with!

If you have a RCBS die and somehow you screw up and you break something or whatever, you E-mail or call them and new parts are on the way with no questions asked and no need to send the broken part back to RCBS. They seem to send the parts the day they get the notice.

For benchrest accuracy, there's benchrest dies from different manufacturer's. I have a couple and to tell you the truth, I can't say one provides better accuracy than another. That's a discussion for benchrest shooters and they will have definite preferences.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Lee dies do a great job for hunting purposes and it is a good-thing if you use a good, strong cast iron single stage press. (both FL and collet-neck sizing Lee dies)
There are "bench rest quality dies" for considerably more $, but if you have a one-moa rifle, and the groups are within one-moa, not sure how much more accuracy you need to "chase" for hunting.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
Lee dies do a great job for hunting purposes and it is a good-thing if you use a good, strong cast iron single stage press. (both FL and collet-neck sizing Lee dies)
There are "bench rest quality dies" for considerably more $, but if you have a one-moa rifle, and the groups are within one-moa, not sure how much more accuracy you need to "chase" for hunting.

1 MOA is good, but tiny, little cloverleaf groups are like crack.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by StudDuck

I don't want to start a pissing contest, but given the above criteria; what are your thoughts on the Lee Dies?

I've had excellent results making straight cartridges using their collet neck sizing die.

Older full length size dies came with an expander ball that was more like an expander pipe with a very long cylindrical section that did nothing but provide more drag going through the case necks. Newer dies have a much better tapered expander.

With one exception, every Lee FL size die I've used has been tight to very tight. Even if the die is set to bump the shoulder back only a couple of thousandths the body of the case will get a heavier than necessary sizing in both diameter and case taper. This causes the cases to lengthen, leading to more frequent trimming and shorter case life. The neck section of the die will also likely be on the small side which results in heavier drag on the expander ball and more cold working of the case neck material.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I use my Lee dies the most....

Ordered some Lee dies for the 6.5 x 300 Weatherby....

Lee's price was $36.50 thru Grafs....

same die set from Redding was $90.

There was nothing Redding dies offered over Lee for an extra $50+...

life is a lot cheaper, if you don't follow the crowds, and start buying when the panics start....

under Trump ALL of this stuff has been readily available....

just sayin folks... besides, dies are the cheapest thing on your reload bench when you factor in ROI...
their life span is longer than yours is...they last forever....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I load for 14 different rifles (10 different calibers) and use Lee dies on 4 of the 10 calibers. I also use RCBS and Redding dies and the Lee die sets work just as well as the others. I would give a very slight edge to Redding, especially their seating dies but, would not hesitate to buy another set of Lee dies. Their factory crimp dies and collet neck dies are among the best in my opinion.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have not had any complaints with my Lee die. I am not shooting competition. I reload for hunting and fun. In almost all guns I have been able to achieve 1.5" minimum accuracy at 100yds in 30 plus different guns and over 18 different calibers. I'm sure there are better dies out there, but I haven't needed to try them. Customer service has been awesome also.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use em.

I have Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Herters and Redding on the bench.

Never an issue w Lee dies and they load just as accurate of ammo as the rest of the bunch.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 01/14/21.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend was having issues with reloads in his AR. His chamber apparently needed a small base die his std RCBS 223 die wasn’t sizing the case tight enough. I mailed him a Lee FL 223 die and it worked perfectly. I don’t think I ever used it. My RCBS works fine in my (3) AR’s.

Sean
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I am not a high volume reloader and only load for 30/06, 7x57 and 35 Whelen. That being said, I have dies from Hornady, Lyman, RCBS, and Lee. Frankly, they all work for my needs. I would not hesitate to buy Lee dies again.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have some Lee dies. I have replaced the lock rings on all of them. The O-ring in Lee lock rings don't do it for me.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Lee dies are fine...I just don't like 'em. I don't like to buy stuff that looks and feels cheap, but I also fully recognize that to be a personal hang up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use Lee dies more now than I do my RCBS dies.They produce straight accurate ammo.I really like the finger adjustment seater dies,quick and easy set up.I can't complain.These groups were all from ammo produced with Lee dies.I have a lot more,this is just a few.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I use several die manufacturers, but have nothing but praise for the LEE dies.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I like Lee dies just bent a decapping rod on my Lee die went on line to order another said no charge quite impressive. Lee resizing die is vented like RCBS I want a vent on my resizing die.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have dies by RCBS, Hornady, and Lee. I’ve come to prefer the Lee dies.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As others have said, Nothing wrong with Lee dies. People think they are bad because they aren't 5x the cost of their favorite Redding or Forster die (and yes, I also own dies from those two as well because Lee doesn't makes every caliber out there)......

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ditto..........

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I load a variety of cartridges from 22 CF up thru 338 rifle. Handgun's from 357 up thru 45. . Dies from Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Redding , Hornady & a couple others no longer in production. I can see no difference in the quality or accuracy of the ammo produced. My Savage 260 Rem using Lee dies gives me sub 1/2" groups with just about any bullet I wish to use. If it works it works, regardless of brand.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I make sure I have a Lee collet sizing die for every bottleneck cartridge I load. It produces the most consistently straight cases. Their other dies also work just fine, though I prefer Hornady for straightwall cartridges and I prefer RCBS and Redding seating dies.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lee now has replacment locking rings with a set screw and a O ring

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I use Lee dies more now than I do my RCBS dies.They produce straight accurate ammo.I really like the finger adjustment seater dies,quick and easy set up.I can't complain.These groups were all from ammo produced with Lee dies.I have a lot more,this is just a few.

Yeah, but those are only three shot groups.
bsa1917hunter will be along shortly to tell you you're doing it wrong.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I use Lee dies & highly recommend them

Especially the 4 piece handgun die set with the factory crimp die

These will turn out semi pistol ammo that will run flawlessly in your pistol

I use em in my 9mm---40 S& W---& 45 ACP

Lever gun shooter ? The Lee crimp die for lever gun ammo is also suggested in tube magazines

Will not distort your brass in any way...great for powders like W296 that require a heavy crimp

Another note..Lee has improved the lock ring recently

Also a fan of Redding bushing dies in my oddball p/dog cartridges--Forster also---RCBS & Hornady last

https://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been using Lee dies and other equipment for almost 2o years, Never had a problem, and have produced some very accurate ammo. Lee is the best bang for the buck, IMO.

P.S. I don't know anything about their customer service, because I've never had to use it. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 1,943 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.