Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Getting used to the thermal scope, and tried something new to me last night...

Calling hogs with an electronic caller.

It appears it works. This was the second place I called. Played the caller for about 5 minutes before he came in. Used the boar specific sounds on the Convergent Hunting app. Glenn Guess/Hog Zombies sounds.

Of course he was coming through the woods and wouldn't stop, and I nearly made a bad shot, but he didn't go far. Maybe 50 yards.

I'm not a good cinematographer... to say the least. But you get the idea of how it went down. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
BP-B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Was that a little shoat running like all hell to get away too?

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Was that a little shoat running like all hell to get away too?

Yeah, I didn't even see that one until after I shot! It was hauling ass! grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great video. I picked up a FLIR thermal last year. We go to TX from Wisconsin to hunt in February. I really like the thermal over digital night vision. We used to go to Alabama and pig hunt. We tried calling pigs with a e caller. I THINK it worked. We tried calling a couple places but nothing.
As we were walking out a boar about 125 pounds ran across an opening but for some unknown reason stopped right before it got to the thick stuff. I was able to hit it. I was using 95 gr Barnes TTSX out of a 6.8 SPC. We walked over to where the pig was standing and found a fair amount of blood. This was only our second year of pig hunting at that time so we were rookies still.
As deer hunters we thought well that is a fair amount of blood let's follow it. EXTREMELY thick undergrowth and next thing you know I have a boar grunting and kind of making a popping sound about 5 feet away in thick crap. I don't know if he charged as I really couldn't see him. I never got the gun to my shoulder before I let loose. several shots later it was over.
I refer to that as my redneck cape buffalo hunt. The pig could have been bigger but you have to work with what ya got:)

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Marshhawk
Great video. I picked up a FLIR thermal last year. We go to TX from Wisconsin to hunt in February. I really like the thermal over digital night vision. We used to go to Alabama and pig hunt. We tried calling pigs with a e caller. I THINK it worked. We tried calling a couple places but nothing.
As we were walking out a boar about 125 pounds ran across an opening but for some unknown reason stopped right before it got to the thick stuff. I was able to hit it. I was using 95 gr Barnes TTSX out of a 6.8 SPC. We walked over to where the pig was standing and found a fair amount of blood. This was only our second year of pig hunting at that time so we were rookies still.
As deer hunters we thought well that is a fair amount of blood let's follow it. EXTREMELY thick undergrowth and next thing you know I have a boar grunting and kind of making a popping sound about 5 feet away in thick crap. I don't know if he charged as I really couldn't see him. I never got the gun to my shoulder before I let loose. several shots later it was over.
I refer to that as my redneck cape buffalo hunt. The pig could have been bigger but you have to work with what ya got:)

laugh

I hear ya!

The boar last night went into very thick brush. I'm pretty sure my dogs found him dead last night shortly after I shot it. But being dark, and thick brush, I waited to go find him this morning. Put the dogs out again, and they went straight to him.

But I wasn't gonna crawl into a thicket at night to find him last night... wink (I'd left my .45 at home.... maybe I need to start carrying it.)

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This may sound crazy to some people but I would rather hunt pigs then deer. My Wisconsin brethren will probably disown me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool video. Looks like the tree trunk you hit with the second round registered a heat signature after the shot. I thought it was maybe blood at first.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This may sound crazy to some people but I would rather hunt pigs then deer. My Wisconsin brethren will probably disown me.

I know I would. Hogs and coyotes both.

Didn't even shoot a deer this year.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are a much smarter man then I am smile At night I think I would have reconsidered my choice and came back in the morning.

I hear ya!

The boar last night went into very thick brush. I'm pretty sure my dogs found him dead last night shortly after I shot it. But being dark, and thick brush, I waited to go find him this morning. Put the dogs out again, and they went straight to him.

But I wasn't gonna crawl into a thicket at night to find him last night... wink (I'd left my .45 at home.... maybe I need to start carrying it.)[/quote]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JPro
Cool video. Looks like the tree trunk you hit with the second round registered a heat signature after the shot. I thought it was maybe blood at first.

Yeah, I was tracking the hog with the second shot and not watching the trees/brush. laugh

That bullet hole glowed for a couple of minutes after the shot! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess I did not make it clear that this was in the daytime sorry about that. Not to hijack the thread but I have since switched over to 120 GR Hornady SSTs for pig hunting. The 95GR TTSX will blow thru a pig but if you do not hit bone they do not seem to slow pigs down where the 120s seem to really hurt them and they don't go far.
I have a buddy that used a 62 gr fusion out of a 223 bolt action to kill a 200 plus pound white and black boar. shot it quartering away so it did not go thru the shield but behind it towards the off shoulder. 18-20 inches of penetration but very very little blood. This was a night hunt and we found it dead about 75 yards away. The bullet weighed 46 gr after recovery.Picture perfect mushroom but awful small compared to a 30 caliber bullet. I am not sure how it would have faired had he shot straight thru the shield.
My Wife wants to move south and TX is tops on our list for many reasons. Pigs are in the plus column. Just to let you know we are Conservatives and bring the right values:)

Last edited by Marshhawk; 01/14/21.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for posting these videos Rockinbbar.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm waiting on the right Pulsar to come into stock. Trail 2 with rangefinder. Once it does we will be in the thermal game.

Couldn't quite bring myself to buy hogster but hope you have good luck with it.

Will have to try calling down south in March I guess.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks from me as well. Very cool videos and pretty fascinating what modern technology can do for hog hunting and then get it on video to boot.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
That’s cool.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That is very cool!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
I'm waiting on the right Pulsar to come into stock. Trail 2 with rangefinder. Once it does we will be in the thermal game.

Couldn't quite bring myself to buy hogster but hope you have good luck with it.

Will have to try calling down south in March I guess.

Had to look high and low for the Bering Super Hogster. Finally found one in stock in Illinois...

Lots of things are out of stock, in all facets of life and consumer goods. I doubt it'll get better soon.

Happy with the Super Hogster. What you see in the viewer is clearer than it records. I think that is the case with most optics.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"Used the boar specific sounds"

What did it sound like? I used to have cassette tape for calling hogs but they never responded. It sounded like a bunch of hogs fighting. I didn't try it at night though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I know I would. Hogs and coyotes both.

Didn't even shoot a deer this year.

Same here Barry. The hog sounds haven’t worked well for me. But my old Hadel’s Govt Trapper Jack Rabbit Call has called in more than a few hogs here on the Ranch.
My hogs must like to eat rabbits. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
How about a picture of the rifle and scope?

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
827 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 85 invisible), 3,256 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,195
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.