Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Is it better to have an OU with ejectors, not extractors, or is it just as easy to hunt with either extractors or ejectors?

I have a 20 GA with extractors and wish it had ejectors. Just looking for more input.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Extractors can be a pain if you are trying to reload quickly, especially if you have gloves on.

I prefer ejectors. I catch the hulls in my hand and put them in my pocket so as to not litter with them.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Don't find either a problem. If you need to reload quicker switch to a Auto or Pump.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If the shots are coming fast or a competition gun then ejectors....If I have to catch them, then put them in my pocket, no time has been gained, if quick is a priority.
Catching requires two pockets...one to put them and one to get live rounds...Two separate actions....If not then you end up having empties mixed in with live....

For the vast majority of field situations I would rather have extractors...something less to break. However, most two barrels today come standard with ejectors....

Addition: As far as walk around hunting, neither will make or break a season....unless one is fortunate enough to go to Europe and shoot driven Birds,,,,

Last edited by battue; 01/15/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Is it better to have an OU with ejectors, not extractors, or is it just as easy to hunt with either extractors or ejectors?
I have a 20 GA with extractors and wish it had ejectors. Just looking for more input.

IMO, for an upland hunter that wants to PU his shells, I favor extractors. Now if you were a waterfowler in a large box blind and could count on the empties staying in the blind, them maybe an ejector for slightly faster shooting.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
In my opinion its all about personal preference. I prefer ejectors. I catch the hulls, throw them in my bird bag, and grab reloads.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I find a gun with extractors a pain in the neck, in either hunting or target shooting. In both cases, I use the ejectors to kick the hulls into my hand, which is often gloved. I hate to leave empties on the ground. With extractors, it’s a pain, more so with gloves on.

I won’t own a double without automatic ejectors (nor will I own a gun with an automatic safety, but that’s another subject).

Last edited by GF1; 01/18/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've deactivated the ejectors on all of my doubles.
If shooting is going to be that fast and I feel like chasing hulls after I shoot I'll grab a auto.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I don’t chase them (with ejectors) ever; they pop in my right hand.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm for extractor's, hate to have a shell hit the ground. Of course you can cover the breech with yiur off hand and catch them coming out. But forget and the shells hit the ground! I have three AyA's that came with ejectors, I removed them and not it's extractors. Gun's all open a lot easier without the ejectors. Really it's probably more a matter of what you like than anything else! I also have two CZ's and they came with extractors.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I prefer ejectors for hunting & manual safety for clay targets .

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Ejectors..never found them to be a problem...catch the empty, or empties, with right hand, place in upper pocket of vest, pull out two reloads from the bottom. ZIP, ZIP. Course I`ve had lots of practice.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by sidepass
Don't find either a problem. If you need to reload quicker switch to a Auto or Pump.

this. That would be about number 20 on a list of my concerns bird hunting.

I have both on my sis's and os's and never cost me a shot

Last edited by ribka; 01/20/21.
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
I've deactivated the ejectors on all of my doubles.
If shooting is going to be that fast and I feel like chasing hulls after I shoot I'll grab a auto.

So do you catch the hulls coming out of your semiauto?

G
G
Another vote for ejectors. I like having the empties shoot into my hand and then throw the hulls in my pocket. Although I think my next gun will be a CZ Bobwhite which is extractors.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like ejectors. I can choose to either hold my hand over the empties and then pull them, or keep my hand away and let them clear the gun.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

There are very few hunters that shoot semi-auto or pumps in the field that go back and pick up spent hulls, the O&U or SXS hunters are better at cleaning up after themselves in the field, and are usually better shots than the semi-auto and pump shooters, not trying to piss anyone off, but this is what we see every year guiding Quail and Dove hunters. Rio7

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Don't know what the big deal is about picking up empties off the ground. I shoot a semi-auto and try to chase down all my hulls. I also pick up every empty that other people leave, as well as wads when I find them. Hulls and wads are litter and I can't stand litter. When I lived in the desert I picked up 1000's of hulls left behind by dove hunters, to say that made me angry is an understatement.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

ryoushi, You are an exception, Thank you. Rio7

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RIO7

ryoushi, You are an exception, Thank you. Rio7

You're welcome! Sometimes we hunters are our own worst enemy, I'm just trying to do my part to counter that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.