Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
First, I admit, haven't followed it at all. But thought replacing the barrel on my 77/22 with a barrel in 17 HM2 would be interesting for squirrel, the only small game I hunt anymore. Looked around for a replacement barrel, nothing, looked around for ammo, very very limited. I'm also not a computer search guru, but usually can find stuff. Guess I'll be sticking with 22LR.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Not too many manufacturers making them any more. Savage is. It's a fantastic round that never quite caught on. It was plagued with split neck issues that to this day are still common. Since it never caught on heavily the aftermarket likewise didn't

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
First, I admit, haven't followed it at all.
Neither did hardly anyone else. That's what happened to it--nothing.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
First, I admit, haven't followed it at all. But thought replacing the barrel on my 77/22 with a barrel in 17 HM2 would be interesting for squirrel, the only small game I hunt anymore. Looked around for a replacement barrel, nothing, looked around for ammo, very very limited. I'm also not a computer search guru, but usually can find stuff. Guess I'll be sticking with 22LR.

The local Sportsman's Warehouse store has 17HM2 ammo on their shelves, or at least they did a few days ago. CCI is still loading 17HM2 ammo and labeling it under their name and Hornady's. But I bet given the current ammo panic, all of CCI's rimfire production is dedicated to the most popular cartridges like 22LR and 17HMR. So, it may be a while before CCI makes another run of 17 HM2 ammo. If you're looking for info, parts, etc. for most anything related to rimfire guns, I suggest you visit the website: Rimfire Central. IMO, that's the site most often frequented by most of the rimfire aficionados.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wanted one early on, but ammo was hard to find at the time so I lost interest. Interestingly enough, it's about the only rimfire on the shelves nowadays locally.

IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
One of the best squirrel hunting rounds ever produced IMO!! Bought lots of Eley, Remington and even Federal back in the day. Installed a custom barrel on my Sako and wow!! Out to 125 yards most of the time they were in trouble. Still believe in my statement! Twitch

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
When necks started splitting they quit making them for a while. It killed it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tried one of SAS’s special run Rugers. Don't think the current ammo is as good as it used to be, so sold it and the ammo off without serious loss. No splits, just not worth the trouble compared to .22LR.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The best tree squirrel cartridge ever made!

Out to 100 yards you have a flat shooting gun that shoots as well as match grade 22 ammo.

It's a small niche, but I'm glad I have mine and about 5 bricks of eleys laid back for mine. I grab it every time I go squirrel hunting

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have a cz 452 American 17hm2 with a 3x9 Leupold. I take 75-100 squirrels a year with it here in the Missouri bootheel. Never had any split cases myself but have seen some of the 15 gr with cracked necks out of a Marlin. I love it. Will keep it forever.
Watch out for rimfirecentral, there's a lot of one upmanship over there. I'm a member myself.

Last edited by DeWman; 01/14/21. Reason: New material
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Green mountain used to produce a 17hm2 for a 77/22. I have one somewhere. If I find it I will PM you. It is a sporter contour and fluted but short. 16-20” if I remember correctly. Check with green mountain and see if they still make it.

Last edited by shootAI; 01/14/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a GM barrel in 17HM2 I bought and never used. I think that it is around 20", a blued fluted sporter contour that was made for a Ruger 96/17. If you're interested I'll hunt it up, but I don't know how much different the barrel shank specs are between the 10/22, 77/22. and 96/22.

Count me as a 17HM2 fan. I have a really accurate Anschutz 1502 and a nearly as accurate Marlin 917M2S that I hunt fox squirrels with. I bought one of the Ruger American Rifles that SAS had made up for Whitaker's as I was looking for a lighter rifle, but have been disappointed that it doesn't shoot as well as I had hoped. I think that the Eley and Remington ammo was generally more accurate than the CCI/Hornady, but the CCI/Hornady does OK. There is no doubt in my mind that the 17HM2 is the best round for hunting tree squirrels yet to be in an accurate rifle.

If there were more serious tree squirrel hunters, there would be a greater demand for the 17HM2, maybe even enough demand to prompt Eley to make ammo again.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Mostly anemic and uninteresting.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
It is by far the best squirrel hunting cartridge that is made. It is alive and well here. I have 5 rifles now and another one on the way as we speak. Lots of ammo around here. And I have a nice stash of it as my boys like to go through it. Lol. It is one of my favorite cartridges. We like to chase the Curr dogs around and knock out those bushy tails out of the trees.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It is a fantastic varmint round.

It was very popular among varmint shooters right out of the gate. But it has ridiculous pressure spikes and a lot of semi-autos were recalled accordingly.

If you can get one in a bolt gun or single shot, and lay in a good supply of ammo, they are well worth the effort. But I will add that it is awful in high winds and some modern 22LR gives an equivalent "pop" on a rat or rabbit.

They are insanely accurate. Typically.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave

It was very popular among varmint shooters right out of the gate. But it has ridiculous pressure spikes and a lot of semi-autos were recalled accordingly.

If you can get one in a bolt gun or single shot, and lay in a good supply of ammo, they are well worth the effort. But I will add that it is awful in high winds and some modern 22LR gives an equivalent "pop" on a rat or rabbit.

The 17HM2 seems like it would be the perfect round for shooting iguanas at long range down your way or for shooting armadillos in the southwest.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have 6 rifles chambered in 17hm2, all bolt guns with good scopes. It's an amazing ground squirrel round and I shoot 3-5 thousand squirrels with it every year. In dead air, you can hit them at 150 yards, however wind impacts the trajectory and you need to learn the art of holding into the wind.

To ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.
NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

The 17HM2 seems like it would be the perfect round for shooting iguanas at long range down your way or for shooting armadillos in the southwest.

It would be dynamite on iguana but it would be too loud for the places I hunt.

It's pretty schitty for long range IME. But it is a sure thing 75yds and under.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

It would be dynamite on iguana but it would be too loud for the places I hunt.

It's pretty schitty for long range IME. But it is a sure thing 75yds and under.

I've shot fox squirrels at 100 yards or so when they were out in corn fields harvesting ears that didn't make it into the combine's feeder house. Where is was safe to do so, I've shot black walnut out of the trees that they grew on out to 125 yards, but I needed a little hold over past 100 yards.

I was thinking that a suppressed 17HM2 would be safer than a suppressed .22 LR because the 17HM2 bullets are fragile and not prone to ricochets.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
many dedicated squirrel hunters love it....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

133 members (264mag, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 25 invisible), 1,183 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,473
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.