Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Went and test drove a used 2017 expedition with 3.5 ecoboost yesterday. 50k miles. It was 40 miles away at a big lexus dealership. Took it on trade super clean.The sales guy had it running when i got there. Would have prefered to hear it cold start. Do not know if he was trying to make it warm iside or hide something. There was noticeable chatter sound from the engine as I walked up to the front of it. Not clunking or ticking but a sound my insticts tell me not quite right. Valves, turbos timing, ? Ran like a scaled cat no idiot lights. I like the car and would buy except for this. Any eco boost owners got any ideas. Any tests I could ask for?

GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty sure it has to do with the variable timing cams.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take it for another "test" drive to a Ford dealer and ask a service rep about it, if you know one who's opinion you would trust.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m not sure about the Ecos but I know that the 5.0 and 6.2 V8s have noisy injectors. Lots of clicks at idle but nothing wrong.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Cam phasers

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got 90k on my 15 Expedition EL and the only problem I've had is a lost bushing on hard fuel line coming off the fuel tank that's rattling at idle now. Just haven't had the time to crawl under and put some rubber washers in place. I've never wanted for a V8 with this engine and I'm getting honest 22mpg highway with it and average 17-18mpg mixed city driving. I can't really complain about anything.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We own the exact same vehicle but a year older. It’s been a good car, but it crapped plugs at +/- 55,000 miles. Those engines have a habit of shelling boots which allows spark to climb the plugs. This causes misfires and jacks the engine up until they’re replaced. Other than that we’ve had no issues. If you buy it make them replace the plugs and boots and you should be all good.

*When I bought ours I noted how noisy the engine was. Between the cam phasers, turbo, and all the other crap on it the sound is different than anything else I’ve owned.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
How long are you expecting to keep it?
Years, miles?

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
for a short term ride it will do fine, long term my mechanic tells me to run from them, 2 grand a piece for turbos plus labor and he has seen more than a few replaced.

can't beat the power and economy though, they run like a scared squirrel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Cam phasers

Been down that road with a Ford...skip that vehicle and look on

Rob
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Update First I want to thank each of you for your advice. Second give an update. Same dealership took an almost identical 2017 Navigator with almost exactly 50k miles. They had it when I looked but I did not know that. Sales mgr called me and I told him my concers and he said well how about a Lincoln? Turns out the Ford warranty is overall 50k, 4yrs - 60k,6 yr powertrain but Lincoln is 50k, 4 yrs- 70k,6yrs powertrain. Test drive same runs great, similar sound to expedition and even cleaner. Plus same 3.73 Limited slip axle I wanted. (This is amazing because all the used fords I have been looking at this axle is hard to find-seems the resale market is out of vegas and Caly and it is 3.31 or 3.73 open). To top it all off this one had full weather tech floormats! The only negative is it is kinda the off white vs the polar white of the expo. 2017 was the last year of before the body style change for the current Expedition/Navigators but much of the technolgy and interiors are the same. I got it for less than half price compared to the new expedition I priced and that was not the top trim level. I did not even look at new Navigators because they start at $90k. So I'll drive it a few years and see how it goes.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by hillbill
my mechanic tells me to run from them, 2 grand a piece for turbos plus labor and he has seen more than a few replaced.

Wow. I’d be looking for a different mechanic. The turbos are less than $700 a piece brand new. (vs. a reman) Certain vintage quite a bit cheaper. Been that way for nearly a decade too or at least as long as I’ve owned mine. Never replaced one but know what I’m up against should one fail. 150k miles and running like a top.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is a site to book mark:
https://www.fordf150.net
They have an expedition sub forum.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I bought a 2016 Eco boost Expedition used in 2017 with 30k miles on it. That noise concerned me at first: I could hear it idling thru a parking lot between parked cars. I even took it back to the dealer to have them listen (while syncing my phone to the radio). Normal I was told. Got 80k on it now, 22 mpg is pretty much expected except when towing, and it will tow a 4500 lb boat up a 7% grade for seven miles at 11000 feet altitude as fast as you dare go without a sweat. The four wheel drive system is not as seamless and smooth as I would like on ice or snow, or even sand so it is no off-roader. Wish I woulda got leather because the fabric is hard to keep clean.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by hillbill
for a short term ride it will do fine, long term my mechanic tells me to run from them, 2 grand a piece for turbos plus labor and he has seen more than a few replaced.

can't beat the power and economy though, they run like a scared squirrel.

The first thing I'd do is find a mechanic that knows what they're talking about. The second thing I'd do is actually try to find someone that has had real trouble with the turbos. Not someone that you've heard about through mechanic or cousin ralph, or aunt Jimmy.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 2017 3.5 eco in my 2017 f150. its the first year for the gen 2 ecoboost. the cam phasers have went out twice. the first time was at about 50k miles. the next time at about 72k miles. The second fix is on me I guess. Its not supposed to hurt anything if you don't get it fixed. its just a very annoying sound on cold start, especially when you have to pay $600/mo payments on it still!!! The have supposed to have updated parts. but IMO its probably a 3500-4k repair and I think they pull the cab to do it. Dealer told me to get extended warranty, wait a month and bring it back in to get fixed LOL.

I plan on just trading the truck in and letting them deal with it. of course the truck will be fully warmed up when they get it for trade in, LOL. I personally feel they have the bugs worked out of the 3.5 eco/10 speed combo now days but the 2017-2019's not so much. the 2.7 eco is said to be the most reliable of the ecoboost engines.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
212k on my daily 3.5 eco. Water pump went at 180k. Turbos are cheap. Mine are still rocking. Toughest truck I’ve ever had.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
66k on my 16 3.5 eco.....The motor is as quiet as the day I purchased it new in 16......In fact it is the quietest motor I have ever owned.....I change the oil every 10k!!!!! need it or not....Run the motor craft blend 5w 30.....Best truck I have ever owned and the best built.....It has killed two deer without any damage both hit head on one at 55 and the other I got it slowed down to about 40....

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slight thread hi-jack.

After reading this thread, I'm not sure if I want to follow-up......

I looked at a 2017 F-150 Lariat yesterday, 50K miles on the clock. The dealership was closed, but I'm going to drive it next weekend. Is anyone experiencing the dreaded transmission clunk upon start-up?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I have a 2017 3.5 eco in my 2017 f150. its the first year for the gen 2 ecoboost. the cam phasers have went out twice. the first time was at about 50k miles. the next time at about 72k miles. The second fix is on me I guess. Its not supposed to hurt anything if you don't get it fixed. its just a very annoying sound on cold start, especially when you have to pay $600/mo payments on it still!!! The have supposed to have updated parts. but IMO its probably a 3500-4k repair and I think they pull the cab to do it. Dealer told me to get extended warranty, wait a month and bring it back in to get fixed LOL.

I plan on just trading the truck in and letting them deal with it. of course the truck will be fully warmed up when they get it for trade in, LOL. I personally feel they have the bugs worked out of the 3.5 eco/10 speed combo now days but the 2017-2019's not so much. the 2.7 eco is said to be the most reliable of the ecoboost engines.

They won't warrant the second fix which is only 22k miles old and under 100k on the engine?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.