Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mongrel Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I bought out an old reloading shop this past week. There are several sets of Lyman, Saeco and Hoch with handles. From the brass, rifles and projectiles laying around this gentleman was a shooter...I mould my own bullets and shoot, but not to the level of craftsman. The Lyman numbers are pretty easy to figure out, but the Saeco and Hoch that were not obvious I cant exactly tell the dia. and projected weight. Is there a chart or such published to help with figuring out these numbers. Some are hollow point, and some of the nose pour have plugs screwed into the base. I've never cast with such and therefore am an idiot on the subject. I would like to sell of the models I wont need for my collection, but as of now i couldnt begin to list them in the classifieds without a better description. Any help with saeco and hoch is appreciated.

Mongrel

BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There are charts for Redding/Saeco moulds on Redding's website. Google Images has a bunch of charts too, some of which may be older and show discontinued designs, I don't know I didn't look too closely.

As for Hoch moulds, you're kind of on your own. The one's I've seen and used (not all that many, but some) all had the bullet diameter and weight stamped on them. Ie: "285135" which is a 7mm 135 grain bullet. That number plus a closeup pic of the cavity will give a prospective buyer a lot to go on. I don't know if Hoch ever actually printed catalogs with illustrations. Can anybody shed light on that?

As for pricing, that's up to you. It's hard to value niche market/specialty moulds from custom/semi-custom makers other than to assign values somewhat higher than run of the mill Lyman/Ideal, RCBS, etc. makers whose moulds are everywhere and whose pricing can be tracked. The more esoteric moulds will only appeal to the specialized shooters with very specific needs- and penetrating to where those guys lurk is your best bet in creating a market.

That said, if there are any plain base moulds in the batch that are .322 or a little bigger and an inch or so in length, shoot me a pic and I may be an early customer. I'm gearing up a .32-40 build project.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
If you want to get top dollar on Ebay for instance, I would take the time to warm up your mold and pour a sample bullet out of the molds which are not easily identifiable for photo purposes. If you don't know what a mold is...how is the potential buyer supposed to know? Fees are high but Ebay sells, photos, photos and photos. Always include the bullet dia in your title for search purposes.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Hoch moulds were still being made a few years ago by Dave Farmer, I think, in Colorado. That's all I can remember, maybe someone knows more. I only have one Hoch mould. Very well made. I have many SAECO moulds and they're certainly among the best. The Redding catalog has them listed in the back with depictions of the bullets.

M
Mongrel Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I sorted out the sizes of the moulds. I'm not sure which I'll keep. I'm sure to never load some of them. I will post a few in the near future. Some are way too heavy for my world. There are a couple very nice 35 molds, so it may be time for something I swore I'd never do and thsts barrel a rifle for whelen. Just nothing around here to shoot it at, but now I have a burning desire to stick a whelen or whelen imp. In a number 1 action and shoot lead. I think i picked up about 30K gas checks of various calibers so i might roll a few 35's. My other 35s are marling 336 in 35Rem. Those micro groove barrels have never shot lead for me. I dont know what I'll do, but right now I'm enjoying sorting through and cataloguing a few items, it's a great stress reliever for me. I got 3 cans of loaded 8mmx57 to test out. Very nice loads well done on cut 30/06 LC brass. And many others. With this haul it's possible to do a 9.3x62. I'm looking forward to fooling around with it.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You would be doing all of us here on this forum a huge favor by giving us first crack at whatever you decide to sell! smile

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by lotech
Hoch moulds were still being made a few years ago by Dave Farmer, I think, in Colorado. That's all I can remember, maybe someone knows more. I only have one Hoch mould. Very well made. I have many SAECO moulds and they're certainly among the best. The Redding catalog has them listed in the back with depictions of the bullets.

IIRC, Hoch moulds moved to Roswell, NM quite a few years ago.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have one Hoch, very nice mold.

"You would be doing all of us here on this forum a huge favor by giving us first crack at whatever you decide to sell! "

I agree!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 73 invisible), 3,031 guests, and 1,413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.