Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I have a RCBS uniflow powder measure. Was reloading this eve, and really was seeming to have problems. Seemed like the uniflow was throwing very inconsistent charges or else my RCBS 505 scale was off. I checked the scale with my Lyman scale check set, and it was within a tenth grain. Took it off and set it back on maybe 10 times, and pretty consistent. So am pretty sure it isnt that. So I weighed a bunch of throws, always dumping back into the hopper. ( the hopper does have a powder baffle) here are my last 10 weights. 47.2 47.1 47.0 47.4 47.5 47.7 46.8 46.5 48.8 47.0
This really does not allow me to throw powder charges without weighing every charge. I am not sure if there is anything I can do about it or not...Just depressing to weigh every charge when you sit down and plan on reloading 85 rounds. Powder is a can of 4064" an older can. I don't know of the powder has something wrong but kind of doubt it. I shot it in a 270 in test loads, and it was pretty consistent(ES of 41) Anything I can check? I took the hopper off and wiped it down good but no difference.

Last edited by Jevyod; 01/14/21.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Stick powders sucks for throwing consistent charges.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4064 is one of the worst for consistent throws, it's grains are so course.

You'll have to accept that if the powder is your best performer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
get a baffle......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and get consistant in your settling taps......

IC B2

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I have a baffle.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
that's one outta the two.....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jevyod
I have a RCBS uniflow powder measure. Was reloading this eve, and really was seeming to have problems. Seemed like the uniflow was throwing very inconsistent charges or else my RCBS 505 scale was off. I checked the scale with my Lyman scale check set, and it was within a tenth grain. Took it off and set it back on maybe 10 times, and pretty consistent. So am pretty sure it isnt that. So I weighed a bunch of throws, always dumping back into the hopper. ( the hopper does have a powder baffle) here are my last 10 weights. 47.2 47.1 47.0 47.4 47.5 47.7 46.8 46.5 48.8 47.0
This really does not allow me to throw powder charges without weighing every charge. I am not sure if there is anything I can do about it or not...Just depressing to weigh every charge when you sit down and plan on reloading 85 rounds. Powder is a can of 4064" an older can. I don't know of the powder has something wrong but kind of doubt it. I shot it in a 270 in test loads, and it was pretty consistent(ES of 41) Anything I can check? I took the hopper off and wiped it down good but no difference.

You don't say what cartridge you are loading for, but if it is 308 win, you have better options in powder that throws much better. One of those it AR Comp. The next is RL15. You could also give CFE223 a try. It is a ball powder and drops out of the uniflow like water.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22

So when you say settling taps you mean tap on the hopper to get the powder down through the baffle?

Last edited by Jevyod; 01/15/21.

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You don't say what cartridge you are loading for, but if it is 308 win, you have better options in powder that throws much better. One of those it AR Comp. The next is RL15. You could also give CFE223 a try. It is a ball powder and drops out of the uniflow like water.

It is a 270 Win. It is for my co worker and he had a part can of 4064. He is not a handloader, just some that his dad gave to someone to reload years ago. I am a bit strapped on my own powder situation, that is what made me try it out.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What you are describing is quite common, that is why I have more than one powder measure, for throwing into the case without weighing every charge I use my Harrell's. It is much more accurate with some powders than a Uniflo.
If neither of those two work to my satisfaction then I use the Chargemaster.
The curious thing to me is 4064 in a 270Win ????? can think of about 20 different powders I would try before I got to that combo.........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So when you say settling taps you mean tap on the hopper to get the powder down through the baffle?

No. You don't have to tap the hopper, except to initially get powder below the baffle. What I do is, give 2 or 3 light taps with the charge handle when filling the cylinder, and 2 taps at the top when dumping it to make sure every flake/kernel falls into the case/scale pan. You will notice more consistant throws when you have consistant settling......

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

No. You don't have to tap the hopper, except to initially get powder below the baffle. What I do is, give 2 or 3 light taps with the charge handle when filling the cylinder, and 2 taps at the top when dumping it to make sure every flake/kernel falls into the case/scale pan. You will notice more consistant throws when you have consistant settling......

Thank you, learned something new. I will try and implement that to my loading practice.

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by boatanchor
What you are describing is quite common, that is why I have more than one powder measure, for throwing into the case without weighing every charge I use my Harrell's. It is much more accurate with some powders than a Uniflo.
If neither of those two work to my satisfaction then I use the Chargemaster.
The curious thing to me is 4064 in a 270Win ????? can think of about 20 different powders I would try before I got to that combo.........

I know, but as I mentioned it is for my coworker and he had that powder on hand and wanted me to try and use it. As I am a bit strapped in my own powder selections, that is what I tried. All he wants is minute of deer at 100 yards...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That`s about what mine does..4064 is a bugger. If I want consistent weights with this powder, I throw a lower charge, weighing each, and trickle up to the desired charge.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have the RCBS Uniflo with a baffle and it does help though I do use an electric trickler. I use it on my portable bench at the range. Another option is the Lee Perfect powder measure, it has a wiper which helps throw more consistent throws. Smith told me about the Lee measure about 20yrs ago, he said you'll laugh at it but try one. He was right. I only paid about $8 for mine.

Lee Powder Measures

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are really getting some variations there. That is more than I see when loading 4831. When loading for a coarse stick powder, set the measure so it consistently throws low and trickle up. Even with 4831 it doesn't take that long especially with the number of hunting loads typical of a 270.
Doing the taps to settle the loads should also help, do one or two with the lever at the bottom of the throw, it doesn't make much difference how many you do as long as you do the same number every time.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Get a RCBS Chargemaster....

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
You also might check to see if you have the small cylinder in the uniflow. If that will have enough volume for your charge. I have found it throws more consistence charges than the large bore one.

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Get a RCBS Chargemaster....

Not in the budget unfortunately!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
122 members (32_20fan, 338reddog, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,893
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.