Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
I've been listening to some audiobooks lately, mostly about the eastern front. Was surprised to find that methamphetamine were widely uses by the German armies. Discovered in Japan in the early 1900s, synthetic versions were in commercial production in the west by the mid-1930s.

While all axis and allied armies used it to some extent only the Germans issued it regularly , even putting it in field rashons for tank and air crews. First aid kits contained pills and injection versions. The injection contained a small dose of morphine with a large dose of methamphetamine. With it, even wounded soldiers could continue to function and fight. In some books it's use is mentioned directly, in others you can assume because Germans often fought for days without rest.

What you think?

GB1

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
May very well be true. I have read that in the past in several books.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I watched a documentary about it. “Blitzed” I think? Pretty unreal how doped up they were.

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Hmm, thought this would draw a little more interest. Oh well.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There was a show on the history channel not too long ago .. Nazis on drugs...
Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by websterparish47

Already knew about it. I thought everyone else did too

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of youtube on it

Im a nazi junkie

Mark felton is a good channel too.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yes, both the axis and allied regulars used meth drugs like Pervatin and Benzedrine. They didn't just use them for soldiers in combat. People like Frank Whittle, the engineer and designer of the turbojet, the first jet engine, worked for weeks at a time on a diet of amphetamines and barbiturates. You can be sure that many of the engineers and managers racing to produce nazi super weapons were fueled by drugs. While drugs like these were most widely used just to keep people going, there were even more ethically disturbing experiments with steroids and drugs to bioengineer super soldiers. This has long been the premise behind the popular nazi zombie trope. There's been at least two-dozen full-length "Nazi Zombie" movies made: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_zombies#Films

I knew an ex-skinhead who was also an ex-meth addict. He was well aware of the nazi's affinity for meth. I suspect that had been part of what attracted him to it. His life had been a complete wreck. He got born again. He had been pretty damaged. Christ created in him one of the most powerful internal conflicts I've ever witnessed. I moved to another state 15 years ago and haven't seen him since, but I don't think Jesus gave up on him.

Last edited by Western_Juniper; 01/15/21.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by websterparish47

Already knew about it. I thought everyone else did too

Yep, same here.

Both sides issued amphetamines in vast quantities and on a regular basis. The allies mostly used Benzedrine, the Germans Methamphetamine ("Pervitin") as did the Japanese.

The Pentagon contracted for some 250 - 500 million Benzedrine tablets to issue to US forces during WWII. British forces also were issued many millions of tablets - Mongomery reportedly authorised the issue of about 100,000 of them before the battle of El Alamein. He was rather a fan, based not only on their effect on endurance but on the men's aggression. Sailors and aircrew also went through vast quantities of bennies.

There again, the use of drugs to improve soldier performance was nothing new. In previous wars tobacco, coffee and alcohol were issued of course, but also other drugs. The British issued "Forced March" tablets in WWI - a mix of cocaine and caffeine, to give their soldiers a bit of an edge, for example. In earlier times all sorts of other drugs were used, from hashish to mushrooms to various others, by various armies.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dan_oz
. In earlier times all sorts of other drugs were used, from hashish to mushrooms to various others, by various armies.

Should save the hash and shrooms for the enemy. It will make them slow down, party, then crash. smile

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Been on History channel for years.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I remember back in the '50s grownups talking about long-haul truck drivers taking "Bennies" (Benzedrine) to stay awake and alert and passed between drivers and sold 'under the counter' at some truck stops.

I've also been told that similar drug stimulants were available and used in Vietnam especially by Special Operations troops.

I've known a couple local former Green Berets who served in combat in RSVN that died relatively early deaths from heart attacks and often wondered if maybe taking those drugs were a precursor for future heart problems.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/04/the-drugs-that-built-a-super-soldier/477183/

The Drugs That Built a Super Soldier

During the Vietnam War, the U.S. military plied its servicemen with speed, steroids, and painkillers to help them handle extended combat.

...The conflict was distinct in another way, too—over time, it came to be known as the first “pharmacological war,” so called because the level of consumption of psychoactive substances by military personnel was unprecedented in American history. The British philosopher Nick Land aptly described the Vietnam War as “a decisive point of intersection between pharmacology and the technology of violence.”

Since World War II, little research had determined whether amphetamine had a positive impact on soldiers’ performance, yet the American military readily supplied its troops in Vietnam with speed. “Pep pills” were usually distributed to men leaving for long-range reconnaissance missions and ambushes. The standard army instruction (20 milligrams of dextroamphetamine for 48 hours of combat readiness) was rarely followed; doses of amphetamine were issued, as one veteran put it, “like candies,” with no attention given to recommended dose or frequency of administration. In 1971, a report by the House Select Committee on Crime revealed that from 1966 to 1969, the armed forces had used 225 million tablets of stimulants, mostly Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine), an amphetamine derivative that is nearly twice as strong as the Benzedrine used in the Second World War. The annual consumption of Dexedrine per person was 21.1 pills in the navy, 17.5 in the air force, and 13.8 in the army.

“We had the best amphetamines available and they were supplied by the U.S. government,” said Elton Manzione, a member of a long-range reconnaissance platoon (or Lurp). He recalled a description he’d heard from a navy commando, who said that the drugs “gave you a sense of bravado as well as keeping you awake. Every sight and sound was heightened. You were wired into it all and at times you felt really invulnerable.” Soldiers in units infiltrating Laos for a four-day mission received a medical kit that contained, among other items, 12 tablets of Darvon (a mild painkiller), 24 tablets of codeine (an opioid analgesic), and six pills of Dexedrine. Before leaving for a long and demanding expedition, members of special units were also administered steroid injections...

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Remember those Vick's inhalers you sniffed to clear nasal congestion? They contained benzedrine until the formula was changed in the mid-1950s. Then they went to levomethamphitamine that was still available until recently. Still available online although Vicks discontinued production. Levometh is said not to get you high.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wouldn't doubt it? I know of U.S. military who would get high and go on raids. Not sure how effective it was but....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Can't really discount the rum ration that the Brits offered, either.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Tanak Farm Incident, Gulf War, 4/17/2002.

Friendly fire, four deaths, the pilots said their amphetamine use on the mission was a contributing factor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarnak_Farm_incident

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Now its Adderall and other amphetamines

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 257_X_50, 007FJ, 39 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.