Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter
Gun manufacturers are doing what custom builders have been doing for years ... pouring a fast twist barrel on it.

It is a real concern for them that if they just charged the twist and made heavy bullets available, that morons would buy that ammo and then bitch about poor performance. Gotta remember educated shooters on forums like this are a SMALL minority of shooters. Idiots would most DEFINITELY buy ammo their gun couldn't shoot. And they'd most certainly publicly bash the ammo matter for making crap ammo their fun can't shoot.

You gotta play to the lowest common denominator. The easiest way? New cartridge with new SAAMI specs.

That actually makes great sense. đź‘Ť

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Gun manufacturers are doing what custom builders have been doing for years ... pouring a fast twist barrel on it.

It is a real concern for them that if they just charged the twist and made heavy bullets available, that morons would buy that ammo and then bitch about poor performance. Gotta remember educated shooters on forums like this are a SMALL minority of shooters. Idiots would most DEFINITELY buy ammo their gun couldn't shoot. And they'd most certainly publicly bash the ammo matter for making crap ammo their fun can't shoot.

You gotta play to the lowest common denominator. The easiest way? New cartridge with new SAAMI specs.

Exactly. And if you don’t think it rates, then get what you do like.

Me, I’m down for faster twists in factory guns myself. They don’t hurt a darn thing for shooting Power Points but will shine with some sleek Bullets. It’s a win win.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

I'll echo the last two guys - this is the best theory I have seen on why the 6.8 Western. I've been kind of bashing the whole idea, since IMO, an 8" twist .270 WSM would be a better round. But you're right - some guys would shoot the long heavy factory rounds in their 10" 270 WSMs and then bash the company when they keyholed.

Thanks for the good insight,
Rex

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I wonder if Nosler will come out with a 165+grain Partition for this cartridge?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This is my response for several new cartridges ... just change the name and caliber, same argument. People are stupid. Stupid people with guns are dangerous.

Previous example was the 6mm Creedmoor. Hell even the 6.5CM vs 260 Rem. And the soon to be 22 CM vs 22-250. It's just so much easier to market something new than rely on people to actually read warning labels or directions

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I wonder if Nosler will come out with a 165+grain Partition for this cartridge?

Nahhhhhh, they’ve got a 160 Partition already.

I can’t remember the last time I saw a new Partition.

Just my guess though.

Semper Fi
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
The 160 is for the 1-10" twist and is a semi-spitzer. I would like to see a 165+ grain spitzer Partition or maybe a Ballistic Tip.

Time will tell.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Rossimp
In a nutshell it’s a slightly shortened 270 WSM case (0.08” shorter than 270 WSM case) for utilization of high BC very long .277 projectiles in a standard length WSM magazine with 165gr to 175gr weight bullets. Rifles will have faster twist rates in the 1:8 - 1:7.5 range. Can’t really see the benefits unless you are constantly pulling the trigger and bucking wind on game at 700 yards plus. Another reinvention full of intrigue? Probably not, but this is another part of the new wave of rifle/hunting needs being sold to the public.

The odd part is, those new .270 heavy projectiles have a lower BC than lighter offerings in the .264 that already exist. They are decent in the .600 range, but you can get a 145gr 6.5 bullet that is over .700 already.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The 160 is for the 1-10" twist and is a semi-spitzer. I would like to see a 165+ grain spitzer Partition or maybe a Ballistic Tip.

Time will tell.

170 NBT has already been pictured in some of the release photos

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
So, some guy going out west will grab his 270 WSM and a few boxes of the new 6.8 Westerner rounds. Wonder how badly the case rupture will be?

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Oh it'll happen. I still have a near weekly argument at work with people who don't believe me that their 38 spl won't fire 38 Super

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by KenMi
So, some guy going out west will grab his 270 WSM and a few boxes of the new 6.8 Westerner rounds. Wonder how badly the case rupture will be?

Surely case dimensions will be just different enough to prevent chambering.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yawn. I’d sooner run a 6.5 PRC.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Sounds to me that Win/Browning want their share of our stimulus money.

Meh.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

The Western won't fit in the WSM cause it has a longer C.O.A.L at 2.955."

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Time will tell.

170 NBT has already been pictured in some of the release photos

That is a 175 grain Sierra Game King.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by elkhunternm; 01/17/21.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

The odd part is, those new .270 heavy projectiles have a lower BC than lighter offerings in the .264 that already exist. They are decent in the .600 range, but you can get a 145gr 6.5 bullet that is over .700 already.

It takes time to develop that stuff. Assuming the popularity of high bc 27 cal bullets grows more will hit the market. Right now It's strictly a hunting bullet market. If a demand emerges for competition bullets then I would think more extreme designs will follow. Probably first by custom makers followed by the mainstream manufacturers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The Western won't fit in the WSM cause it has a longer C.O.A.L at 2.955."

Looking at the SAAMI specs, the Western has the shoulder set back a few thou with no other changes that I see. Since the minimum Western COAL is less than the maximum WSM COAL, I see no reason why some Western loads would not fit in a WSM chamber.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pacecars
So if you shorten a cartridge so you can use longer bullets why not just seat the bullet to the same overall length in the original case? You can still use the longer bullets unless it has a super short neck in the original cartridge. I would rather have the longer case with powder around the deeper seated bullet rather than lose capacity. Just use the faster twist barrel and be done with it. I guess then though you wouldn’t have a new whiz bang cartridge to sell as the greatest thing since sliced bread

Originally Posted by hikerbum
What is it? Useless waster of ammo factory capacity

I agree with you guys. Why make another useless cartridge that is going to burn up our primers and powder. I'd rather see primers and powder back on the shelves. Stupid fu cks need to get their priorities straight. The 270WSM is pretty much on its last leg, so lets make another 270. I guess the one designed in 1925 hasn't been working well enough either. Makes sense..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The 270WSM is pretty much on its last leg, so lets make another 270. I guess the one designed in 1925 hasn't been working well enough either. Makes sense..

Agreed.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,918 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.