Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for all the input

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I know Winchester introduced it and their short actions have a longer magazine box, but I wish they would have made it more user friendly to the R700 short action box length. Semi Custom production rifles like Christensen Arms that use the R700 footprint for their rifles aren't able to take advantage of these new calibers as much as say the Winchester rifles and such. For some reasons these same manufacturers don't chamber any of the Remington short magnums much either. I would love a Christensen Arms in 7mm WSM, but don't see that happening. For these reason I'm looking at the 6.5 PRC in my near future. That being said, I hope the 6.8 Westerner doesn't suffer the same fate as the 7mm WSM did with market timing. No matter what is said, I don't see any loaded ammo or components available in the near future while the press is hot about this new cartridge. I think the 7mm WSM may be the best caliber brought out during the short mag craze and Winchester's stutter with getting it out to the public almost killed it from the start.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If the .270 has Campfire gayness, does that mean the 6.8 Westerner is a tranny? Asking for a friend....

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
In the real world the 270 WSM has no advantage over the standard 270 Win, as the 1:8 twist with heavier bullets will not have ant real world advantage over the 270 WSM or 270 Win. A few inches of drop and wind drift at 1000 yards which is no real advantage at the ranges we hunt. Just another cartridge for the ballistic table readers to ponder on their sleepless nights. We really need a few more chamberings! I think I'll wait for the rush to be over before I try to find a 6.8 Westerner rifle!

Last edited by Switch; 01/18/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
I know Winchester introduced it and their short actions have a longer magazine box, but I wish they would have made it more user friendly to the R700 short action box length. Semi Custom production rifles like Christensen Arms that use the R700 footprint for their rifles aren't able to take advantage of these new calibers as much as say the Winchester rifles and such. For some reasons these same manufacturers don't chamber any of the Remington short magnums much either. I would love a Christensen Arms in 7mm WSM, but don't see that happening. For these reason I'm looking at the 6.5 PRC in my near future. That being said, I hope the 6.8 Westerner doesn't suffer the same fate as the 7mm WSM did with market timing. No matter what is said, I don't see any loaded ammo or components available in the near future while the press is hot about this new cartridge. I think the 7mm WSM may be the best caliber brought out during the short mag craze and Winchester's stutter with getting it out to the public almost killed it from the start.

My thoughts exactly. Another question are the 7mm WSM and the 7MM SAUM dead and the 280 AI become so popular?

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Switch
In the real world the 270 WSM has no advantage over the standard 270 Win, as the 1:8 twist with heavier bullets will not have ant real world advantage over the 270 WSM or 270 Win. A few inches of drop and wind drift at 1000 yards which is no real advantage at the ranges we hunt. Just another cartridge for the ballistic table readers to ponder on their sleepless nights. We really need a few more chamberings! I think I'll wait for the rush to be over before I try to find a 6.8 Westerner rifle!

I guess that depends on what world you consider real.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by Switch

I guess that depends on what world you consider real.

Yup! A dead Elk is a dead Elk, hard to make any deader! I have had a 270 WSM and a 270 Bee, I just keep the old gay 270 Win.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This was fairly predictable development, imo.
Myself, I don't really get the short/fat thing.
I do get the how these things capture the interest of a few serious ( nuts & bolts) shooter's.
Heck, I would consider fast twisting a .270 WCF or the Weatherby.
I actually think that , maybe in a few years the Rocket Scientist that came up with this short /fat concept will recant but It really depends on the marketing people anyways, folks.....and they are succeeding in selling Ice to ( us) Eskimos.
Cheers

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I’m sure it “..makes a helluva noise and packs a helluva wallop”

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cra1948

Thank you, David Ommaney.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I am wondering how long it will take for someone to neck the 6.8 Western case down to .257 with a 1/ 7.5 twist barrel?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by cra1948

Thank you, David Ommaney.

I'd forgotten about him, I just remember the ads.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Probably not high on their priority list. I seem to recall that 700’s can be modified for a longer mag without futzing up the footprint. Maybe it’s time to abandon the 2.8” magazine.

Max SAAMI OAL is 2.955 just like the PRC.

Last edited by Pappy348; 01/20/21.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Probably not high on their priority list. I seem to recall that 700’s can be modified for a longer mag without futzing up the footprint. Maybe it’s time to abandon the 2.8” magazine.

Max SAAMI OAL is 2.955 just like the PRC.

I'll probably still consider the 6.5 PRC over the 6.8 Westerner unless something drastically changes my mind. I really like my 7mm WSM, but it doesn't seem to get much market support. It appears Hornady approaches these new cartridges with a business minded mindset for product support and supply, whereas Winchester will change directions in the middle of a hurricane without any notice. I worked for Olin for 20 years and their business decisions still baffle me to this day. I see Christensen Arms offers the 6.5 PRC in their Mesa rifle, I'm now wondering if it is the short or long action model. My magazine box for my 6.5 CM in that rifle measures 2.885". I wish they had gone to 3" magazine length in short action like the M70.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This is all just cold weather rumination for me. Ain’t buying either, or maybe any more at all. I am doing some optics upgrades on what I’ve got. That’s fun too.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This is all just cold weather rumination for me. Ain’t buying either, or maybe any more at all. I am doing some optics uogrades on what I’ve got. That’s fun too.

I understand completely. I don't know how many times I've said I don't need another rifle, and here I am again. I know the 6.5 CM is frowned upon here, but this last C-A Mesa I bought has come as close as doing everything in a lightweight, low recoil and accurate rifle as anything I have ever bought. I may not buy anymore either, need to use what I have now more .

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don’t think it’s frowned on at all, just has some very vocal detractors. We won't go into why as that horse has been beaten into a big pile of pink aspic.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
This is all just cold weather rumination for me. Ain’t buying either, or maybe any more at all. I am doing some optics uogrades on what I’ve got. That’s fun too.

I understand completely. I don't know how many times I've said I don't need another rifle, and here I am again. I know the 6.5 CM is frowned upon here, but this last C-A Mesa I bought has come as close as doing everything in a lightweight, low recoil and accurate rifle as anything I have ever bought. I may not buy anymore either, need to use what I have now more .

The 6.5 CM isn’t frowned upon here. It’s just the old people who rant the most make it seem that way. Most here understand it’s merits even if we don’t own one. I have a 1-8” 260 so I don’t have one at this time. I have recommended them to tons of family and friends because of the good design in a short action the properly twisted factory rifles and when ammo was available good quality ammunition at a decent price.

So don’t let a few loud mouths make you think the creedmoor chamberings are frowned upon here. Many like them but don’t feel the need to draw so much attention.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Natchez Shooting Supplies has 6.8 Western ammo in stock, 10 box limit!!!! Nothing else I need is in stock, but you can buy 10 boxes of 6.8 ammo!! Go figure.....

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The only thing I have a gripe about the CM is that some folks act like it’s the Second Coming.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.