Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Alright, we all know about the Mauser, 03, Model 70, and Ruger type bolt actions that are controlled feed in operation. The question being, is there an controlled feed type action that differs from these with the typical big claw or hook style extractor? Something of another design?

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Wasn't the LAW/Brown action CRF? What about the Bighorn Origin?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The LAW/Brown was indeed CRF, but did not use the typical Mauser/M70 claw extractor. Instead it was based on the M1 "Garand" system, which is also CRF but without the long claw extractor.

The short-lived Model 70 "controlled push-feed" action (used in the short WSSM M70 action) also used a similar system.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Would a Savage 99 or a Winchester 1895 be controlled feed? Maybe?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Ruger CRF action seems different to me from other CRF actions when I cycled one years ago. I had a Legendary Arms .300 Win. mag. for about a year and sold it as I never fired it and was not going to give up my custom Mod. 70 in .338 for a .300 Winny. I really liked the way the bolt field stripped, kind of like taking a bayonet off. The fluted bolt body was all fluff, but I kind of see the appeal of it and the fluted barrel. It is my understanding that legendary 1911pistol smith Ed Brown designed the action. Other then the forearm being cut to short in my opinion the Bansners stock is what's on my .338 and if I go to another custom synthetic I will get another one.

I guess other then liking the action because of ease of field stripping and a rather unique take on a CRF action I had heard so many negative reports on the rifles as a whole I never gave it a chance. I would like to see the action work and become a dependable alternative to traditional CRF actions, the pre-64 Mod. 70 and 03A3 etc.

I personally have a hard time believing Ed Brown stamped his name on a rifle that he designed that has so many reported issues. That makes me wonder if who ever ended up with Ed's action didn't mess up the manufacturing of it and bedding of action to stock and assembly of components. With the internet that would be a death sentence for the rifle. Darn shame.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
Would a Savage 99 or a Winchester 1895 be controlled feed? Maybe?

Yep, and in fact a LOT of older lever-actions were CRF.

The term is defined by the cartridge's rim rising up under the extractor as the round is chambered, instead of the extractor being "pushed" over the rim.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Savage Safari Express 116 in 375 and 458 had their version of CRF. I'll see if I can dig up my photos of the bolt head on my old computer.

This is the only photo I can find right now. I had the 375 and took some photos. I'll look for them.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Had no idea about some of these. Especially the Savage CFR bolt head.

I was looking at my old Savage 99 and Win 1895 and they seem to be, but on the other hand it look like a good deal less purchase on the case from the small hook of those extractors. Reguardless its fascinating to see different designs and how they conquer the same basic issue or operation.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

The term is defined by the cartridge's rim rising up under the extractor as the round is chambered, instead of the extractor being "pushed" over the rim.

You answered my question before I could ask it. Thanks.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I can't believe nobody mentioned the Lee Enfield. GD

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Doesn't Sako currently have a push feed system without the long extractor in their 85 series? That was the first thing to come to mind.
[Linked Image from content.osgnetworks.tv]

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The LAW/Brown was indeed CRF, but did not use the typical Mauser/M70 claw extractor. Instead it was based on the M1 "Garand" system, which is also CRF but without the long claw extractor.

The short-lived Model 70 "controlled push-feed" action (used in the short WSSM M70 action) also used a similar system.

I have a M70 short action "Coyote Lite" action that began life as a 22-250 that's CRPF as well. It's still a 22-250 but is now a 1:8 twist Rock bbl and McMillan stock. What I'm getting at is that it wasn't just the WSSM that utilized the CRPF bolt/action.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Boomer454
Doesn't Sako currently have a push feed system without the long extractor in their 85 series? That was the first thing to come to mind.
[Linked Image from content.osgnetworks.tv]

Pretty sure that's the major difference between 75 and 85.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Zermatt/Bighorn and ARC mausingfield do....

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Mannlicher Schoenauer

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Didn't Macmillan offer a crf with a short extractor a few years ago?

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
The Mauser and cz 550s have an undercut tongue on the extractor that aids in the removal of a stuck case. None others do afaik. Key feature of those rifles. MD has written about this.

The back side is that while many guns are controlled round feed...they don’t feed very well. Cz 550s and mausers included. They need gunsmith work to function perfectly. The cases tend to not slide under upon coming out of the magazine and don’t seat until the round is pushed into the chamber.

I have 3 czs and while they feed, fire, extract and eject they will leave a round on top of the magazine if you pull back prior to fully chambering. Almost all of my controlled round feed guns have behaved this way

Last edited by Quak; 01/18/21.

GOD Bless America
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by 9point3
Didn't Macmillan offer a crf with a short extractor a few years ago?

I think the McM used the brown/law action. It may have been a howa though I can’t remember

GOD Bless America
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
What about a marlin lever action?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Hookset
Wasn't the LAW/Brown action CRF? What about the Bighorn Origin?

Bighorn Origins are CRF, as are the other current production Zermatt actions.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 55 invisible), 2,181 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,361
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.