24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Censorship by Social Media [Re: Old_Toot] #15659151 01/15/21
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 897
JimFromTN Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 897
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
They are in the public domain using public airways.

You have a privately owned bakery and you refuse to bake a cake for a Gay wedding. How did that work out?

You have a private bar and you refuse service to Black people. How would that work out?

This.



Public opinion just isn't on the side of white supremacists. What can you do?


You would be wrong in your assumptions.



Public opinion is on the side of white supremacists?

BP-B2

Re: Censorship by Social Media [Re: Stickfight] #15659154 01/15/21
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 22,740
efw Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 22,740
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Public opinion just isn't on the side of white supremacists.


Q: How do you know they are White supremacists?
A: Because Faceberg told me they are!


Remember when ACLU was principled in their support for everyone’s freedom to speak their minds in the public square?

You don’t have to be a Nazi to support the fact that in America even they have the freedom to voice their ideas. You DO have to be a Nazi to be live they don’t.


Don't you ever wonder why
In spite of all that's wrong here
There's still so much that goes so right
And beauty abounds?

The thunder rolls and the baby sighs
And the rain comes down
Don't you wanta thank someone for this?
-Andrew Peterson
Re: Censorship by Social Media [Re: Old_Toot] #15659158 01/15/21
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 897
JimFromTN Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 897
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Originally Posted by JPro
The problem is that the "hate" group balance has made a large shift in the last five decades. Under the broad umbrella of "hate" activity, is there still white supremacy and such? Of course, but it makes up a much smaller portion of the overall than it used to. It seems like much of the "hate" these days comes from the other side of the aisle, yet the old white supremacy example gets trotted out all the time with a small handful of actual evidence, while the volumes of other evidence is overlooked on purpose. America sees this, much like the "Cops shoot unarmed minorities" dogma. Do unarmed minorities get shot by cops? Of course, but the TV and internet would have you believe that it happens 5 times a day in all the major US cities. America sees this too. If the numbers added up, it would make sense that "hate groups" and "racist cops" are the problem, but the numbers simply don't show that. America knows this. The country I live in, by and large, is a much less racist place these days than when I was a kid 30 years ago. I'm talking real life here. Watching the MSM, you'd think is was up 200%.



Until social media, none of this has been in the public eye so they remained small and unnoticed. Extremist groups came into existence because of social media regardless of whether they were the boogie boys or antifa. Social media gave them a platform to grow. Social media is finally recognizing this and taking responsibility but as in most cases they maybe taking it too far. Newton's third law doesn't apply to just physics. As for cops shooting unarmed minorities, the numbers are not up, they are just being seen for the first time and people who did not realize it existed are taking notice.



One shoe doesn’t fit both feet, Jim. Your argument is totally one sided which puts it on the wrong side.



Explain

Re: Censorship by Social Media [Re: JimFromTN] #15659173 01/15/21
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 23,829
O
Old_Toot Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
O
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 23,829
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Originally Posted by JPro
The problem is that the "hate" group balance has made a large shift in the last five decades. Under the broad umbrella of "hate" activity, is there still white supremacy and such? Of course, but it makes up a much smaller portion of the overall than it used to. It seems like much of the "hate" these days comes from the other side of the aisle, yet the old white supremacy example gets trotted out all the time with a small handful of actual evidence, while the volumes of other evidence is overlooked on purpose. America sees this, much like the "Cops shoot unarmed minorities" dogma. Do unarmed minorities get shot by cops? Of course, but the TV and internet would have you believe that it happens 5 times a day in all the major US cities. America sees this too. If the numbers added up, it would make sense that "hate groups" and "racist cops" are the problem, but the numbers simply don't show that. America knows this. The country I live in, by and large, is a much less racist place these days than when I was a kid 30 years ago. I'm talking real life here. Watching the MSM, you'd think is was up 200%.



Until social media, none of this has been in the public eye so they remained small and unnoticed. Extremist groups came into existence because of social media regardless of whether they were the boogie boys or antifa. Social media gave them a platform to grow. Social media is finally recognizing this and taking responsibility but as in most cases they maybe taking it too far. Newton's third law doesn't apply to just physics. As for cops shooting unarmed minorities, the numbers are not up, they are just being seen for the first time and people who did not realize it existed are taking notice.



One shoe doesn’t fit both feet, Jim. Your argument is totally one sided which puts it on the wrong side.



Explain



You’re totally biased.


The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Re: Censorship by Social Media [Re: efw] #15659175 01/15/21
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 897
JimFromTN Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 897
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Public opinion just isn't on the side of white supremacists.


Q: How do you know they are White supremacists?
A: Because Faceberg told me they are!


Remember when ACLU was principled in their support for everyone’s freedom to speak their minds in the public square?

You don’t have to be a Nazi to support the fact that in America even they have the freedom to voice their ideas. You DO have to be a Nazi to be live they don’t.



Social media isn't the public square, its privately owned. If it wasn't, it would be socialism.

IC-A

Re: Censorship by Social Media [Re: JimFromTN] #15659178 01/15/21
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 23,829
O
Old_Toot Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
O
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 23,829
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
They are in the public domain using public airways.

You have a privately owned bakery and you refuse to bake a cake for a Gay wedding. How did that work out?

You have a private bar and you refuse service to Black people. How would that work out?

This.



Public opinion just isn't on the side of white supremacists. What can you do?


You would be wrong in your assumptions.



Public opinion is on the side of white supremacists?


Your narrative is failing you.


The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Re: Censorship by Social Media [Re: JimFromTN] #15659183 01/15/21
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,611
JPro Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,611
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Originally Posted by JPro
The problem is that the "hate" group balance has made a large shift in the last five decades. Under the broad umbrella of "hate" activity, is there still white supremacy and such? Of course, but it makes up a much smaller portion of the overall than it used to. It seems like much of the "hate" these days comes from the other side of the aisle, yet the old white supremacy example gets trotted out all the time with a small handful of actual evidence, while the volumes of other evidence is overlooked on purpose. America sees this, much like the "Cops shoot unarmed minorities" dogma. Do unarmed minorities get shot by cops? Of course, but the TV and internet would have you believe that it happens 5 times a day in all the major US cities. America sees this too. If the numbers added up, it would make sense that "hate groups" and "racist cops" are the problem, but the numbers simply don't show that. America knows this. The country I live in, by and large, is a much less racist place these days than when I was a kid 30 years ago. I'm talking real life here. Watching the MSM, you'd think is was up 200%.



Until social media, none of this has been in the public eye so they remained small and unnoticed. Extremist groups came into existence because of social media regardless of whether they were the boogie boys or antifa. Social media gave them a platform to grow. Social media is finally recognizing this and taking responsibility but as in most cases they maybe taking it too far. Newton's third law doesn't apply to just physics. As for cops shooting unarmed minorities, the numbers are not up, they are just being seen for the first time and people who did not realize it existed are taking notice.


People can love or hate whoever they please, they just can't act on it physically or it's quite possibly illegal, infringing on another's rights. That's America. Remember Kathy Griffin's photo op with the Trump head? It was in poor taste, but not illegal.

And regarding the cops and the shooting unarmed minorities, you missed my point. My point is that it certainly does happen, mainly due to the sheer volume of daily interactions, but the MSM acts as though it is rampant, when it is clearly not. It is a fallacy and a disservice to the public to cherry pick bad examples and treat them like they are the status quo. If you want to highlight a small-percentage occurrence/tragedy, at least share the whole story of he larger percentage occurrences for an accurate perspective. But that is clearly not the agenda.
America sees this "spin" and this is a large part of why so many do not trust the MSM.


Now with even more aplomb
Re: Censorship by Social Media [Re: JimFromTN] #15659192 01/15/21
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 23,829
O
Old_Toot Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
O
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 23,829
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Public opinion just isn't on the side of white supremacists.


Q: How do you know they are White supremacists?
A: Because Faceberg told me they are!


Remember when ACLU was principled in their support for everyone’s freedom to speak their minds in the public square?

You don’t have to be a Nazi to support the fact that in America even they have the freedom to voice their ideas. You DO have to be a Nazi to be live they don’t.



Social media isn't the public square, its privately owned. If it wasn't, it would be socialism.



Someone make a Stickey out of Jim’s statement here.


The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Re: Censorship by Social Media [Re: Old_Toot] #15659199 01/15/21
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 897
JimFromTN Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 897
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Originally Posted by JPro
The problem is that the "hate" group balance has made a large shift in the last five decades. Under the broad umbrella of "hate" activity, is there still white supremacy and such? Of course, but it makes up a much smaller portion of the overall than it used to. It seems like much of the "hate" these days comes from the other side of the aisle, yet the old white supremacy example gets trotted out all the time with a small handful of actual evidence, while the volumes of other evidence is overlooked on purpose. America sees this, much like the "Cops shoot unarmed minorities" dogma. Do unarmed minorities get shot by cops? Of course, but the TV and internet would have you believe that it happens 5 times a day in all the major US cities. America sees this too. If the numbers added up, it would make sense that "hate groups" and "racist cops" are the problem, but the numbers simply don't show that. America knows this. The country I live in, by and large, is a much less racist place these days than when I was a kid 30 years ago. I'm talking real life here. Watching the MSM, you'd think is was up 200%.



Until social media, none of this has been in the public eye so they remained small and unnoticed. Extremist groups came into existence because of social media regardless of whether they were the boogie boys or antifa. Social media gave them a platform to grow. Social media is finally recognizing this and taking responsibility but as in most cases they maybe taking it too far. Newton's third law doesn't apply to just physics. As for cops shooting unarmed minorities, the numbers are not up, they are just being seen for the first time and people who did not realize it existed are taking notice.



One shoe doesn’t fit both feet, Jim. Your argument is totally one sided which puts it on the wrong side.



Explain



You’re totally biased.


Thats not an explanation. I pointed out that most of these extremist groups wouldn't exist without social media. They definitely would not have the following they have. I pointed out that it seems like reporting police shooting unarmed minorities has gone up drastically in the MSM is because of social media and the fact allot of people were unaware it really even occurred. What is biased about that?

Re: Censorship by Social Media [Re: JimFromTN] #15659217 01/15/21
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,346
C
cfran Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,346
Move along Jim, you clearly are letting most of this go right above your head, lack of reading comprehension or just not smart enough would be my guess. Either way your views are flawed, kind of feel sorry for ya.

IC-B

Re: Censorship by Social Media [Re: JPro] #15659228 01/15/21
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 897
JimFromTN Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 897
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Originally Posted by JPro
The problem is that the "hate" group balance has made a large shift in the last five decades. Under the broad umbrella of "hate" activity, is there still white supremacy and such? Of course, but it makes up a much smaller portion of the overall than it used to. It seems like much of the "hate" these days comes from the other side of the aisle, yet the old white supremacy example gets trotted out all the time with a small handful of actual evidence, while the volumes of other evidence is overlooked on purpose. America sees this, much like the "Cops shoot unarmed minorities" dogma. Do unarmed minorities get shot by cops? Of course, but the TV and internet would have you believe that it happens 5 times a day in all the major US cities. America sees this too. If the numbers added up, it would make sense that "hate groups" and "racist cops" are the problem, but the numbers simply don't show that. America knows this. The country I live in, by and large, is a much less racist place these days than when I was a kid 30 years ago. I'm talking real life here. Watching the MSM, you'd think is was up 200%.



Until social media, none of this has been in the public eye so they remained small and unnoticed. Extremist groups came into existence because of social media regardless of whether they were the boogie boys or antifa. Social media gave them a platform to grow. Social media is finally recognizing this and taking responsibility but as in most cases they maybe taking it too far. Newton's third law doesn't apply to just physics. As for cops shooting unarmed minorities, the numbers are not up, they are just being seen for the first time and people who did not realize it existed are taking notice.


People can love or hate whoever they please, they just can't act on it physically or it's quite possibly illegal, infringing on another's rights. That's America. Remember Kathy Griffin's photo op with the Trump head? It was in poor taste, but not illegal.

And regarding the cops and the shooting unarmed minorities, you missed my point. My point is that it certainly does happen, mainly due to the sheer volume of daily interactions, but the MSM acts as though it is rampant, when it is clearly not. It is a fallacy and a disservice to the public to cherry pick bad examples and treat them like they are the status quo. If you want to highlight a small-percentage occurrence/tragedy, at least share the whole story of he larger percentage occurrences for an accurate perspective. But that is clearly not the agenda.
America sees this "spin" and this is a large part of why so many do not trust the MSM.


Kathy Griffin didn't work for years after that. She still isn't really working as a result of it. She destroyed her career. Again, the reason for the coverage of police shooting unarmed minorities is because its news and up until a few years ago, you heard rumors but you didn't see actual videos. Without the videos, there has always been deniability. Now people post them on social media live while the police are in the act.

Re: Censorship by Social Media [Re: cfran] #15659232 01/15/21
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 897
JimFromTN Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 897
Originally Posted by cfran
Move along Jim, you clearly are letting most of this go right above your head, lack of reading comprehension or just not smart enough would be my guess. Either way your views are flawed, kind of feel sorry for ya.



Are you a narcissist? They often accuse people of doing things that they themselves are doing as a form of deflecting To control the conversation.

Re: Censorship by Social Media [Re: OMCHamlin] #15659289 01/15/21
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,611
JPro Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,611
Regarding the bad-cop stuff we all watched being peddled 24/7 in 2019/2020, there were over 10 million arrests in 2019. Fatal shootings by police usually number 1,000 to 3,000 per year. They aren't exactly shooting up everybody, regardless of skin color. There are bound to be bad cops and there are bound to be just bad circumstances where judgement isn't the best, but to act as though all unarmed shootings are 100.00000% avoidable is extremely immature and unrealistic. They are tragic, yes, but it's part of the price to pay for living in a society with 10 million arrested law-breakers each year. So don't make it sound like it's happening each day on every street corner, just to stir up schitt for an agenda. Oh wait, stirring up discontent, envy, and rage is all that some have to offer the world. Without that, they'd have no public support for their schemes and no voters to keep them in power. No sideshows for the masses to keep them in unrest while they fleece the country for their own gain. Bread and circuses continue to be rather effective.

I'm out.... good luck with the discussion. Work to be done....


Now with even more aplomb
Re: Censorship by Social Media [Re: OMCHamlin] #15659304 01/15/21
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 11,799
J
joken2 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 11,799

Months ago under the pretense of stopping abuse and threatening comments the mainstream news media websites stopped allowing any reader comments on their news stories but was clearly for much more blatantly obvious reasons -- to block facts and logical viewpoints posted by readers contrary to their intended 'spin' on the news stories.

Re: Censorship by Social Media [Re: OMCHamlin] #15659320 01/15/21
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,199
H
Hogwild7 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,199
People protesting what they think is a stolen election is not a hate group. There were thousands of people there and a small percentage went in the capitol.

Re: Censorship by Social Media [Re: JimFromTN] #15659342 01/15/21
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,804
Stickfight Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,804
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Extremist groups came into existence because of social media


M19CO bombed the Senate building in 1983. One of the Jews who was convicted of participating in now a key player in BLM fundraising.

This was all pre-social media. But current social media (Snopes.com) says that organizing the purchase of firearms used to rob armored trucks then spending those proceeds to buy bomb making materials to blow up the Senate, isn’t really terrorism.

So it might be (((they))) have an agenda, as opposed to the unbiased arbiters of good and evil you present them as.

Re: Censorship by Social Media [Re: OMCHamlin] #15659352 01/15/21
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,170
C
copperking81 Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,170
Well, well, well... we finally found the one free thing jim won't vote for... speech. He's a censorship guy and for good reason since his ideas suck and are wildly unpopular.

Aside from the very strong argument that these social media sights are now part of the public domain, they also...
1. enjoy legal protections that are reserved for open platforms, not political hacks.
2. they are absolutely engaging in illegal anti-competitive business practices and should be subject to anti-trust litigation.

If you support what they're doing since they're a """""private business""""", you're a book burning censorship nazi scared of open dialogue.


#blue_states_ disproportionately_on_govie_ subsidies
#libs_disproportionately_suffer_from_obesity

Re: Censorship by Social Media [Re: OMCHamlin] #15659374 01/15/21
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,421
H
hotsoup Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,421
if I see/read something I don't like/agree with I just move along. lots of other things to do besides sitting in front of a computer screen getting pissed. move along.

Re: Censorship by Social Media [Re: OMCHamlin] #15659386 01/15/21
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 682
erikj Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 682
Trump Russia collusion vs massive voter fraud 2020.
The first narrative was accepted by media elites, the second is considered hate speech by domestic terrorists.


There is no evidence of widespread journalism.
Re: Censorship by Social Media [Re: JimFromTN] #15659408 01/15/21
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,804
Stickfight Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,804
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Social media isn't the public square, its privately owned.


Like every other private company, they have an obligation to support the public good. This is in return for their use of fruits of that public good, which for social media include public airwaves and infrastructure which are essential to their existence.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1
Who's Online Now
364 registered members (007FJ, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1Akshooter, 26 invisible), 920 guests, and 516 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3




END RIGHT 300x250 AD TAG ZONE B5 -->






Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2020 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 7.3.27 Page Time: 0.049s Queries: 15 (0.003s) Memory: 0.9065 MB (Peak: 1.1012 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2021-02-28 12:26:56 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS